info. needed for '25 Stutz Speedway 6

reatta vice

I would like to know more information about the above car. I specifically would like to know specifications of the engine (displacement & H.P.) How many were made and how many might exist today? Current market Value for this car in fully restored condtion and if any recently have been sold. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. confused.gif" border="0

• 8 years later...
Guest GrahamC
I would like to know more information about the above car. I specifically would like to know specifications of the engine (displacement & H.P.) How many were made and how many might exist today? Current market Value for this car in fully restored condtion and if any recently have been sold. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. confused.gif" border="0

speedway 6 1925 engine has larger intake ports and valves , higher compresseion and cam timeing is different has larger bore, the engine Horsepower is mutch higher.and the top engine cover says STUTZ SPEEDWAY 6 cast on it also the engine plate is fixt with same. so a special six engine is not a speedway engine. I also would be Interested in how many exist today.

I have 1 down here in NZ so dose the Gill Anderson 1915 STUTZ. these stutz racers came to NZ to race the famouse Beach races in 1920`s.

Edited by GrahamC (see edit history)

Hello Reatta vice and graham C,

I am in the process of preserving a 1925 693 Roadster with the Stutz designed Speedway Six engine motor model 691. The valve cover says STUTZ SIX and the engine plate says Speedway Six. This car is a very complete car and I know it's history from the day it was sold in 1925.

I am new to the Stutz community and have had the car for 2 1/2 year.

I do not know how many of these engines are still around but I would not think there are many. All of the 1924 and 1925 Stutz cars I have seen have the Weidely build engine that Stutz bought until Weidely went out of business in July of 1923.

The Speedway Six engine has a 3 1/2" bore, 5 inch stoke, 288.6 cu in, 80 brake HP @ 3000 RPM, and a firing order of 1-4-2-6-3-5.

The Weidely engine has a 3 3/8" bore, 5 inch stoke, 268 cu in, 75 brake HP @ 3000 RPM, and a firing order of 1-5-3-6-2-4.

I have not driven the 693 yet but the engine, in original condition, has started and idles well. I am told that these engines have a lot of low end torque.

I am hoping to have it on the road in the spring.

Reatta vice: Why are you interested in this car?

The 1925 Speedway Six cars were known as Series 695 or 695HB, the HB having hydraulic brakes, with a 130" wheel base. Serial # ranged from 14001 to 14748. Original prices ranged from $3535 to $4785 depending on the body type. I have no idea on todays value.

The above information is from "The Splendid Stutz" book published by the Stutz Club.

post-50728-143138146054_thumb.jpg

post-50728-143138146056_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Guest GrahamC

Hi Dan my speed way 6 is a 1924 engine has the date stamped on it yes the history is

also back to the time this car came to New Zealand in the 20`s yes my top engine cover is tha

same as your pics. it is nice to be in contact with another owner of the same model Stutz.

dose tha stutz club have a register of how many speed way 6 cars are known of today?

cheers Graham

Guest GrahamC

Reatta Vice why do you want this information ?

Hi Graham,

There are not many 1924 -1925 Stutz cars around.

The Stutz Club directory shoows the following 1924 & 1925 models in the hands of club memebers as of 2007: The description is as it appears in the directory.

1924 Speedway 695 with 1916 Bearcat Body engine# 14128

1924 KLDH Speedway 4 engine# D121329H

1925 695 Speedway 6 Sportster

1925 695 Roadster Engine# 15004

1925 Speedway 4 dr Sedan

1925 693 Roadster engine# 14489 (mine)

1925 694 Robin's Coupe Engine# 14720

1925 Speedster Speedway 6 rumble seat roadster

1925 Speedway Berline

I had my 24" Buffalo wire wheels restored with new lock ring rims from New Zealand.

We are working hard to get our 693 to the upholstery shop in February.

We decided not to fully restore the car and are doing what I am calling a preservation. Bringing her back to a good safe driving condition leaving the body and paint as it was in 1950 when the second owner repainted her and did a little body work.

I would like to see a few pics of your car.

Dan

post-50728-143138152344_thumb.jpg

post-50728-143138152347_thumb.jpg

post-50728-14313815235_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Graham,

There are not many 1924 -1925 Stutz cars around.

The Stutz Club directory shoows the following 1924 & 1925 models in the hands of club memebers as of 2007: The description is as it appears in the directory.

1924 Speedway 695 with 1916 Bearcat Body engine# 14128

1924 KLDH Speedway 4 engine# D121329H

1925 695 Speedway 6 Sportster

1925 695 Roadster Engine# 15004

1925 Speedway 4 dr Sedan

1925 693 Roadster engine# 14489 (mine)

1925 694 Robin's Coupe Engine# 14720

1925 Speedster Speedway 6 rumble seat roadster

1925 Speedway Berline

I had my 24" Buffalo wire wheels restored with new lock ring rims from New Zealand.

We are working hard to get our 693 to the upholstery shop in February.

We decided not to fully restore the car and are doing what I am calling a preservation. Bringing her back to a good safe driving condition leaving the body and paint as it was in 1950 when the second owner repainted her and did a little body work.

I would like to see a few pics of your car.

Dan

Very cool Stutz!

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

zantafio,

Is it possible to see a photo of your Blackhawk?

I have a friend who is finishing up the preservation on a 1929 6 cylinder Blackhawk coupe. He would be interested in knowing about your car.

I have made a lot of progress on the 1925 693 and will start to get the dash board back in good condition.

• 10 months later...

Hi Blauvelt,

Are you a member of the Stutz Club?

The Stutz looks to be in good condition from the seat forward.

I have a few questions and would like to compare a few things to my 693?

What is the wheel base?

Can you send me a picture of both sides of the engine?

HB would indicate hydraulic brakes. Are there brakes at all four wheel?

I will send you a private message with my email and phone number. I would enjoy talking to you about your Stutz.

Dan

Since I posted photos of the 693 a year ago a lot has been done and we took the Stutz to our first show in July and may have driven it a grand total of 30 miles. The 693 has a 120" wheelbase.

The interior is finished and the bright work has new nickle plating. We took the car out over the summer with the original nickle mostly worn off. This fall we took it all of the bright work off and had the nickle plating done. We are in the process of putting it back on the car.

Our next show will be the Stutz 100th Year Celebration held at the Indianapolis Motor Speed Way starting May 11, 2011.

We hope to see many Stutz cars there for the event.

post-50728-143138383433_thumb.jpg

post-50728-143138383444_thumb.jpg

post-50728-143138383455_thumb.jpg

post-50728-143138383466_thumb.jpg

post-50728-143138383468_thumb.jpg

post-50728-143138383471_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Blauvelt,

Are you a member of the Stutz Club?

The Stutz looks to be in good condition from the seat forward.

I have a few questions and would like to compare a few things to my 693?

What is the wheel base?

Can you send me a picture of both sides of the engine?

HB would indicate hydraulic brakes. Are there brakes at all four wheel?

I will send you a private message with my email and phone number. I would enjoy talking to you about your Stutz.

Dan

Dan,

got your msg. I am not a member of the Stutz club. WB is 120" Will get some pics of the engine.

The chassis was originally set up for 4 wheel hydraulic brakes, though now the car is just set up for brakes on the rear. Would be nice to score a set of brakes for the front.

my plan is build a touring body for it, or an earlier style roadster body, as i am kinda tall and if i built the same body as your car, i would never fit in it.

the WB on the dog is uber custom...chopped, sectioned, bobbed and channeled :eek:

attached some pics (sorry for the crummy cell pics)

post-72388-143138383736_thumb.jpg

post-72388-143138383753_thumb.jpg

post-72388-143138383768_thumb.jpg

Edited by blauvelt (see edit history)

Thanks for the photos.

From the photos, I think you may have an original 120" wheel base chassis that never had 4 wheel brakes.

It looks like it may have been a 1923 Stutz Six 5 - Passenger Phaeton with a Weidely engine and the rear of the body was cut up.

Just a guess by a rooky Stutz guy that has many hours cleaning dirt from the under side of our 693.

the chassis is a 4 HB chassis, with a HB rear axle under it and a '24 non brake set up front axle...so it looks like a 2 wheel manual chassis.

i have pics of when it was pulled out of a field a long time ago. will get those scanned and posted.

btw Dan, i like your style, i had a super early TD...though it went away for TC.

• 3 years later...

What was the early Stutz 6 cylinder engine that Brue Catchpole had in NZ when Trevor Bear took me to visit him in 1971? I was mostly interested in the DV32, as I had never seen one before, and Series 6 Mercer. Bruce was trying to build a Mercer from composite of remains of two that had raced there; (that apparently prepared by Walter Haines with which Howard Nattrass won the 1924 NZ Motor Cup, and that raced by Hugh Carter). I was intrigued by the early Stutz 6 engine, which I recall as having a single overhead camshaft. It was dissimilar to the subsequent overhead camshaft Stutz engines.

Hello Ivan,

The six cylinder in 1925 693 is an over head valve engine. The six cylinder with the single overhead cam was in the 1929 an newer Backhawk cars. The Six was the same as the single overhead cam 8 cylinder engine in the Model M cars less two cylinders.

Below is information and photos of the Type 691 engine in my 1925 693 Roadster.

post-50728-143142549277_thumb.jpg

post-50728-143142549284_thumb.jpg

post-50728-143142549287_thumb.jpg

I am very well familiar with Bill Orde's pushrod OHV 6 cylinder, which he bought as a farm derelict in the early-mid 1960s . He still has it and uses it carefully, probably 40-odd years after he restored it. It, and Darien Cassidy's 1929 L6 Blackhawk roadster with folding windscreen were the first two Stutz-built cars that I rode in. The engine I saw was early, and obviously quite different from the engine of Bill's car. I have had the late 1927 LeBaron sedan since around 1962, and the similarity between the eights and the L6 is obvious. My memory is usually very reliable, but I stand to be corrected if any one of the Kiwis know the engine. Trevor Bear is unfortunately long gone; and last I heard , Bruce Catchpole was still among us; but very elderly.

Odd things were made that people have not expected to see, nor recognised for what they were. Several people had the DV32 engine which I have, but could not recognise what it was, and ratted it for parts. Yet the engine number, DV30004, the casting date of June 27, 1928, and the BB pattern main casting, cored for

3 3/8" bore, and with the word "SPECIAL" cast on it were a dead giveaway that it was one of a handful of DV32 prototypes. If you carefully re-read the Stutz chapter of John Bentley's book, "Great American Automobiles" , he quoted a part of a factory statement which this engine confirms.

Now when Fred Moscovics brought his concept and management skills to Stutz, sales of the ohv Six were not exactly booming; and for moderate effort and expense they could have tried a conversion to an OHC for the Six, to see if it might be something to help move out inventory stock before the AA Series was ready.

• 7 months later...
Guest GrahamC
What was the early Stutz 6 cylinder engine that Bruce Catchpole had in NZ when Trevor Bear took me to visit him in 1971? I was mostly interested in the DV32, as I had never seen one before, and Series 6 Mercer. Bruce was trying to build a Mercer from composite of remains of two that had raced there; (that apparently prepared by Walter Haines with which Howard Nattrass won the 1924 NZ Motor Cup, and that raced by Hugh Carter). I was intrigued by the early Stutz 6 engine, which I recall as having a single overhead camshaft. It was dissimilar to the subsequent overhead camshaft Stutz engines.

Yes the six cylinder Stutz is actually a factory speedway six, Which is currently being restored by me (Bruce's son Graham Catchpole). The car has been invited by Rod Millen (Pikes Peak winner) to be on show at this years 2015 LeadFoot Festival in honor of it's victory at Pikes Peak in 1926. This car has been in New Zealand since the 1930's.

post-65356-143142928208_thumb.jpg

Edited by GrahamC (see edit history)

Hello GrahamC,

I have the 1925 693 Roadster pictured earlier in this thread.

I would be interested in seeing a photo of the other side of your engine and knowing the engine number.

Congratulations on being invited to the 2015 Leadfoot.

Dan

Guest GrahamC
Hello GrahamC,

I have the 1925 693 Roadster pictured earlier in this thread.

I would be interested in seeing a photo of the other side of your engine and knowing the engine number.

Congratulations on being invited to the 2015 Leadfoot.

Dan

This car is a 1924 694 Roadster Speedway Model (With body tags & numbers by Racine Co)

Engine #14517

post-65356-14314292836_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the photo. Your engine is the same in-house STuTZ built Type 691 engine as mine. My engine number is 14489. Yours is the inly other engine I have seen with the round freeze plugs. I am not sure how many of these engine were made. My body is also a Racine body.

Have you rebuilt the engine? If so I would be interested in knowing how that all went.

Mine engine has not been rebuilt but still have good compression and oil pressure. It starts nd runs fairly well.

I am the treasurer of the STuTZ Club and always interested in our 6 cylinder cars.

Dan

Guest GrahamC
Thank you for the photo. Your engine is the same in-house STuTZ built Type 691 engine as mine. My engine number is 14489. Yours is the inly other engine I have seen with the round freeze plugs. I am not sure how many of these engine were made. My body is also a Racine body.

Have you rebuilt the engine? If so I would be interested in knowing how that all went.

Mine engine has not been rebuilt but still have good compression and oil pressure. It starts nd runs fairly well.

I am the treasurer of the STuTZ Club and always interested in our 6 cylinder cars.

Dan

Dan

Yes my dad rebuilt the engine just fitting new valves and head work.

Bruce got some valves of the same size just needed to cut new keeper groove & grind stems a small amount.

Bores were honed new rings bearings fitted ,as engine has not done many miles in its life.

This car came to NZ as a racer, with similar cars to compete at Beach races run pre war time.

Bruce Catchpole owned 6 or 7 Stutz cars over his life and was regarded as a world authority by several authors of Stutz books whom he corresponded with and visited on his trips to the US.

• 3 years later...
On 12/24/2010 at 2:07 PM, blauvelt said:

Dan,

got your msg. I am not a member of the Stutz club. WB is 120" Will get some pics of the engine.

The chassis was originally set up for 4 wheel hydraulic brakes, though now the car is just set up for brakes on the rear. Would be nice to score a set of brakes for the front.

my plan is build a touring body for it, or an earlier style roadster body, as i am kinda tall and if i built the same body as your car, i would never fit in it.

the WB on the dog is uber custom...chopped, sectioned, bobbed and channeled :eek:

attached some pics (sorry for the crummy cell pics)

post-72388-143138383736_thumb.jpg

post-72388-143138383753_thumb.jpg

post-72388-143138383768_thumb.jpg

14183917_1196433980398067_4183478232708672059_n.jpg

• 2 months later...