Mercedes 300SLS, Paul O'Shea race team cars, where are they?

HistoryBuff

Way back when Mercedes thought it was a good idea to tie in with Studebaker, they supplied two 300SL roadsters, (called SLA because they were special lightweight ones), for Paul O'Shea and GeorgeTilp to race. I was wondering if the two cars were ever found;as they stopped racing them in 1957. My theory is

1.(they were destroyed because they might have had magnesium bodies and Mercedes was worried of bad rep if the bodies caught

fire as the magesium bodied 300SLR did at LeMans in '55

2. they were destroyed because Mercedes would have had to pay import duties if they kept them in the U.S. and they couldn't sell race cars as they

were not drivable legally on the road

3. They were abandoned at the Studebaker factory. I have seen pictures of the Studebaker factory with abandoned concept cars like four door Avantis, rotting away.

4.. They were sold, one German article says one was sold for $5000,other priced close but if that was true why have the buyers never disclosed they own them to the Gull Wing Group or any Mercedes club?

Anyhow love to hear what happened to these cars. After all t hey have only been missing for 61 years so the trail be a might cold....