1950 Crosley Farm O Road Restoration and more

Now that the 1950 Crosley Super Hotshot has found a new home, it is time to start on the 1950 Crosley Farm O Road (FOR).  I purchased this vehicle about 2 years ago.  It was located in South Carolina and I email the owner several times to get pictures and information, but my wife said the car was too far away and would cost too much to go to get it.  Several weeks later a friend of mine was going to Pigeon Forge TN for a car show and I jokingly told him he could go pick up the FOR for me and put it in the bed of his pickup truck.  He called me when he got down there and asked if I was serious about buying the FOR and I said two things needed to happen, one I had to get my wife to agree and I had to get the owner to agree to my price.  Wife begrudgingly said go for it and after several emails and phone calls a price was agreed upon and now I had to get my friend and the owner together as the owner was out of town.  Long story short, got them together and my friends loaded the FOR in the back of their pickup and headed home with it.  But not before they called me and said it looked like a piece of junk!  I said I knew what it looked like and it was not a problem.  As they were heading up the highway a Sherriff pulled them over and told them that a strap was dragging on the road, but the main reason he stop them was to ask, "What the hell is that thing in the bed of his truck?" LOL  The next day they arrived home and we unloaded it onto my trailer and I brought it to my shop.  Here are some pictures of it as I received it.

2007-09-21 23.21.15.jpg

2007-09-21 23.40.58.jpg

2007-09-21 23.40.43.jpg

2007-09-21 23.40.35.jpg

2007-09-21 23.40.22.jpg

2007-09-21 23.40.01.jpg

2007-09-21 23.40.25.jpg

2007-09-21 23.39.38.jpg

2007-09-21 23.38.23.jpg

2007-09-21 23.39.32.jpg

2007-09-21 23.39.06.jpg

2007-09-21 23.38.57.jpg

2007-09-21 23.39.14.jpg

2007-09-21 23.38.47.jpg

2007-09-21 23.38.28.jpg

2007-09-21 23.38.15.jpg

2007-09-21 23.38.11.jpg

2007-09-21 23.38.05.jpg

2007-09-21 23.37.47.jpg

2007-09-21 23.37.41.jpg

2007-09-21 23.37.32.jpg

2007-09-21 23.37.24.jpg

2007-09-21 23.23.07.jpg

2007-09-21 23.23.00.jpg

2007-09-21 23.22.52.jpg

2007-09-21 23.22.46.jpg

2007-09-21 23.22.30.jpg

2007-09-21 23.37.24.jpg

2007-09-21 23.21.04.jpg

Edited by dalef62 (see edit history)

Wow Dale, looks like a great project! Really looking forward to watching this one. :)

Couple of questions though.......

In picture 19, is that some type of power take off (PTO) unit?

Looks like a Dana 44 rear axle, is that correct?

Is that a Warner T-96 transmission?

John,

It is a 1950, the FOR was made from 1950 to the end of Crosley production in 1952 with around 500 made.  There were many implements available for the FOR, from a bottom plow, sickle bar, snow blade on the front, skis on the front tires, hay rake to a mower and more.  The dump bed on the back is hydraulically operated.  As far as 4WD, yes it is...  It has dual rear wheels...  LOL  When you were doing farm work you would put the outer wheels on, usually lug tires and you had 4WD.  As far as the popularity of the FOR, I think the sales speak to that as there were not very many made.

FOR Dave's.jpg

2007-10-23 01.54.57.jpg

2007-10-23 01.56.34.jpg

Several months ago I removed the body from the chassis and then put the project aside.  I tried to fire the engine but it just wouldn't start, so as with the basket case Crosley Hotshot that I just finished, I will not drive the FOR until it is done.  The only thing that is bad on the frame is the battery box. 

Some parts that are missing are the hood, emergency brake handle and ratchet clip, tailgate and license plate bracket.   

100_3032.JPG

100_3033.JPG

100_3034.JPG

100_3035.JPG

100_3036.JPG

100_3037.JPG

100_3038.JPG

100_3039.JPG

100_3040.JPG

100_3041.JPG

100_3042.JPG

Spent some time pressure washing and dismantling the chassis to prep it for the blaster.  It is really amazing that nuts and bolts come loose with out the aid of heat after 66 years.  Even the brake lines turned loose from the fittings without twisting the lines off.  Will get some pictures up tomorrow.

I forgot you had this one. You do like a challenge. After the job you did on the Hotshot I know you are up for it. I look forward to another saved FOR.

For those on the forum that are curious about the FarmOroad here is a link to check out.

http://crosleyautoclub.com/Details/Details_FOR.html

26 minutes ago, Jim Bollman said:

For those on the forum that are curious about the FarmOroad here is a link to check out.

http://crosleyautoclub.com/Details/Details_FOR.html

Thanks for the link Jim, very interesting. Especially liked the letter to the dealers which described all the different attachments. Is there a website anywhere that has pictures or illustrations of all the attachments?

I especially thought this was interesting: SPRING BLOCKS: When the FarmOroad is used for plowing, mowing or any other farm work it is necessary to block out the spring action. Such blocks are installed at the factory at an extra charge. These blocks are so designed that they may be quickly snapped out of the way so that full spring and shock absorber action is available on all four wheels for road use, giving the FarmOroad excellent riding qualities. The list price on the spring blocks is $6 FOB Marion, Indiana, for the four required. They are now available.

Never really thought about the need to block the spring action when plowing, mowing, etc.

The last couple days have been spent tearing down the chassis getting it ready to be sent out for media blasting.  Transmission and transfer case removed, front and rear axles removed, steering column removed, shock mounts removed, spring blocks removed.  Still only one bolt needed heat to remove it. There are two areas on the frame that need repair, one is the battery box and the other is where the steering box mounts to the frame, one bolt hole is enlarged and broken out. 

It is now ready to be sent out to blast, along with some loose parts and 7-8 wheels. 

2008-10-23 23.09.31.jpg

2008-10-23 23.09.45.jpg

2008-10-24 04.08.01.jpg

2008-10-24 04.08.17.jpg

2008-10-24 04.26.32.jpg

2008-10-24 04.59.32.jpg

2008-10-24 04.59.43.jpg

2008-10-24 04.59.55.jpg

2008-10-24 05.00.05.jpg

2008-10-24 05.00.13.jpg

2008-10-24 05.05.43.jpg

• Like 1

Dale, I spent some time looking at the links you provided about the FOR. These things are really neat!

Do they drive reasonably well on the road?

Lots of cool attachments available, but did not notice a mower deck. Saw the pull-behind mower reels, and the attachment that mounts on the front to (I guess) cut brush, but no typical mower deck unless I just missed it. What attachments do you have for yours?

No, it is not done already...  This is my brother in laws 1950 FOR that I restored a few years ago.  His FOR and mine are only 3 numbers apart on the serial number, mine being made earlier than his.

allpicsfromcard 462.jpg

allpicsfromcard 498.jpg

On 7/15/2016 at 6:25 PM, r1lark said:

Dale, I spent some time looking at the links you provided about the FOR. These things are really neat!

Do they drive reasonably well on the road?

Lots of cool attachments available, but did not notice a mower deck. Saw the pull-behind mower reels, and the attachment that mounts on the front to (I guess) cut brush, but no typical mower deck unless I just missed it. What attachments do you have for yours?

They are fun to drive but can be a little scary when everything is bigger than you, mine has the pickup box (shorter than dump box) so will fit in a standard 8' pickup box with the tailgate closed. I run my up to 50-55mph when needed but it is a lot more comfortable, and fun, at 45mph. With only a 65" wheelbase it can be a handful at 55mph. When I first got mine on the road it took me two Summers of driving to get it over 55mph and now every Summer it takes a couple of miles of driving before my confidence gets restored for 50+ driving. In addition to size you have no doors for false security.

I have never seen any belly mowers made for the FOR, they did have a sickle bar mower that mounted on the back. I like the front brush mower with the only safety guard a bar so you don't get to close to a tree and ruin the mower.

Very hard to find attachments, most owners buy complete FORs with an attachment or two then sell the FOR.

Really interesting project, plus should be fairly simple.  It's sometimes nice to do a restoration that doesn't take 10 years, where you can start seeing results almost immediately.  It's also great to see another Crosley back on the road...or...farm.  Can;'t wait to see the progress as it goes along.

Thanks for the info Jim. Kinda wondered how fast they would go. Sounds like 55 mph in a FOR would be kinda like 55 mph in a golf cart. :). But seems like one would be really cool for running to town were the highest speed limit is 45 mph, and mostly 35 mph.

I've seen Crosleys plenty of times, but now I really want to see a FOR.

Dale;

Great to see you saving another FOR   As you know, mine is the green one with dual rear wheels in post 5 (it is also an AACA senior) .  If you need any help with anything, just say so.  It looks like you have most of the important stuff.  I also have a lot of doccumentation for AACA judging support that I can copy for you when you need it.  I have a second one that is unrestored that will be a future project.   You have Als for a pattern but if you want anything from mine to use for a pattern, just let me know.   Paul, i will be showing mine at the Hemmings Concours in September if you are going up there.  

Dave  Anspach

Dave,

I do need to know a few things as far as the frame goes.  Were the shock mounts and other accessories mounted to the frame before or after it was painted.  If it was before, then all the bolts should be black like the frame, if after they should be natural.   Do you have the paint code for the FOR green?  And can I have your hood?  better yet, I'll trade you FOR for FOR, then you can have this one restored!

Thanks

• Like 1

I treated them as pre paint assembly based on some factory bare frame pictures i have that seem to indicate they are painted (they match the frame in black and white)  The moving parts (hitch etc) bolts I left natural.  I have th paint blend numbers but they are useless with modern paint shops.  I took pictures of the color I thought was correct and computer matched it.

Dale, I have a newer paint mix formula for FOR Green that Paul Gorrell gave me. I put it in my column in the Spring 2015 CAC Quarterly, if you can't find it, ask and I will eMail it to you.

PS: Mine is not the right green.

Edited by Jim Bollman
additional info (see edit history)

Got the bottom side and sides of the frame primed today.  As small and light as the frame is I didn't want to flip it while painting it.  Will do some filling and sanding on the bottom side before I flip it and prime the top side and sides again.  Does anyone see what is missing on the frame from the previous pictures?

Progress...

2008-11-02 02.54.53.jpg

2008-11-02 02.55.05.jpg

I had a whole session on frame welds with the judges in Charlotte when I went for my Junior.  It was hard for them to believe that they left the factory looking like that.   I struggled a bit to find doccumentation to prove it. Finally Jim Bollman had some factory pictures of the back of one showing the welds that I was able to blow up enough to show how they were.  I was ready when I went back the next yearfor the senior.  Watching the chassis judge looking at the frame in the front and then talking to the team leader I was ready when he came to me.   "You want to talk about those crappy welds?" I asked.  "No," he said  "we know about those, I want to talk about  some paint overspray on the shocks that doesn't belong"   I laughed... Got the senior!!  

Today was spent knocking the front axle apart.  Removed the springs, wheels and steering components and started cleaning it up. Hope to get the axle in paint soon.  Lots of pictures for documentation and for your viewing pleasure.

2008-11-06 02.02.23.jpg

2008-11-06 02.03.15.jpg

2008-11-06 03.48.09.jpg

2008-11-06 03.48.22.jpg

2008-11-06 03.48.28.jpg

Dale, you continue to impress me with how quickly you are moving along with this project. Thanks for the pictures too, this is very interesting to me since I have never seen one of these before. Nice to know how they are constructed.

Thank you Paul.  Just working on it when I can, and as others have said, it is good to do at least one thing per day on it or you loose interest.

A couple of pictures of some factory yellow paint on the passenger side of the front axle.  What it means, I don't know?

2008-11-06 23.37.56.jpg

2008-11-06 23.38.09.jpg

John,

I tried to start the engine prior to disassembly, but it would not run.  It is the same engine in all Crosley's and my plan is to remove the engine from my 1950 Crosley convertible and install it in the FOR.  I had pulled the original engine(someone titled the car with the engine #) out of the convertible a few years ago because of bad compression and installed a spare engine so I could take it to the National meet. I don't think the engine that was in the FOR is that bad but the spare engine runs and will get me on the road quicker.  As far as the driveline, nothing was tested prior to removal, but will be inspecting them as I restore them.  So far everything looks good. 

Check the front pulley on the engine you pulled out of the FOR. I got my FOR from my Dad and he had put a generator engine in it converted to car. I have all the stuff to put hydraulics on if I want to, but was missing the part that goes on the pulley to drive the pump. When cleaning out my Dad's Crosley stuff I found an engine with the part so I know it is the engine that came out of the FOR. Engine number is in the right range to be the factory original.