1940 Buick model 80 deluxe WW2 staff car

rdukw

1.jpg

1940 Buick model 80 deluxe WW2 staff car. This is a clean original car with the original straight 8 motor. The car was used in the Movie "The Good German" with George Clooney. It has near new Denman tires all the way around. I had the carburetor and fuel / vacuum pump restored, new electronic ignition, new ignition wires. The brake system has been all gone thru. This is a nice driving car.

I have a clean pink slip in hand.

Location Costa Mesa, CA

Asking $16900 obo

(949)244-5337

23.jpg

22.jpg

21.jpg

20.jpg

19.jpg

18.jpg

17.jpg

16.jpg

15.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

12.jpg

11.jpg

10.jpg

9.jpg

8.jpg

7.jpg

6.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

Edited by rdukw (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What a shame.  They could have used any ordinary 40 Buick Special sedan to paint up for a movie and nobody would have know the difference in the audience.  This looks like it was a nice, decent car.  I know from experience that one of these in decent condition is getting really hard to find.

15 hours ago, Dynaflash8 said:

What a shame.  They could have used any ordinary 40 Buick Special sedan to paint up for a movie and nobody would have know the difference in the audience.  This looks like it was a nice, decent car.  I know from experience that one of these in decent condition is getting really hard to find.

Well the good news is that the car was never hacked up just a coat of paint. The color under the hood was the original paint.

I kind of like it. I wish I'd seen it a year ago when we were featuring Full Classics from 1940-1944 at our annual car show--military vehicles would have been awesome! It's just paint, easy enough to change it back if you want to, but I'd wager that going to a show with this car as-is would generate a lot more attention than another shiny 4-door sedan. Besides, none of the important guys rode around in Specials, they all had big cars like this. Totally appropriate.

At this price, I'd be tempted. If I didn't already have a big Buick limousine, I'd be very tempted indeed.

11 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

I kind of like it. I wish I'd seen it a year ago when we were featuring Full Classics from 1940-1944 at our annual car show--military vehicles would have been awesome! It's just paint, easy enough to change it back if you want to, but I'd wager that going to a show with this car as-is would generate a lot more attention than another shiny 4-door sedan. Besides, none of the important guys rode around in Specials, they all had big cars like this. Totally appropriate.

At this price, I'd be tempted. If I didn't already have a big Buick limousine, I'd be very tempted indeed.

Personally, I still don't like what they have done.  As for paint jobs, I have found that there is nothing harder to get done than a good paint job at anything resembling a fair price, on in any sort of a reasonable time period.  I'd rather fix anything on a car these days than to have to repaint it.

Just now, Dynaflash8 said:

Personally, I still don't like what they have done.  As for paint jobs, I have found that there is nothing harder to get done than a good paint job at anything resembling a fair price, on in any sort of a reasonable time period.  I'd rather fix anything on a car these days than to have to repaint it.

Very true, I agree 100% on that. But it's better than chopping it, cutting it, stuffing a small block Chevy into it, putting in a goofball interior, or any of the other questionable modifications people do to old cars. Come on, Earl, you have to admit that the Army staff car look is pretty neat. They got that right--it's imposing and dignified, not a little car dressed up in its father's clothes. If you're going to have some kind of staff car, this Buick nails the look perfectly. Just think of the fun you could have with it!

Yes, it's a rare car, but is anyone just aching for a 1940 Buick 80 Series sedan? If so, here it is at a very reasonable price. If not, here's an awesome, powerful, fast, eminently drivable entry-level Full Classic with an interesting story to tell, and putting it back to stock will be easier and cheaper than a full restoration on a basket case. I still think it's a lot more interesting this way rather than painted dark blue or black. If I were spending my own money, I'd leave it just the way it is and go on CCCA CARavans and watch all the owners with the sparkling six-figure cars get grumpy when the $16,000 Buick draws the biggest crowds.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

You are dead on!:) At all the car shows I have taken it to it definitely gets far more attention then the shiny cars.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Very true, I agree 100% on that. But it's better than chopping it, cutting it, stuffing a small block Chevy into it, putting in a goofball interior, or any of the other questionable modifications people do to old cars. Come on, Earl, you have to admit that the Army staff car look is pretty neat. They got that right--it's imposing and dignified, not a little car dressed up in its father's clothes. If you're going to have some kind of staff car, this Buick nails the look perfectly. Just think of the fun you could have with it!

Yes, it's a rare car, but is anyone just aching for a 1940 Buick 80 Series sedan? If so, here it is at a very reasonable price. If not, here's an awesome, powerful, fast, eminently drivable entry-level Full Classic with an interesting story to tell, and putting it back to stock will be easier and cheaper than a full restoration on a basket case. I still think it's a lot more interesting this way rather than painted dark blue or black. If I were spending my own money, I'd leave it just the way it is and go on CCCA CARavans and watch all the owners with the sparkling six-figure cars get grumpy when the $16,000 Buick draws the biggest crowds.

Thank you for the nice comments.

14 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Roger on that Matt.  If you lived in Florida, or at least south central Florida all you would see are ruined cars, cut up as street rods as you describe.  I guess it is that I want a decent CCCA Buick at a retired man's price, and I can't find one.  The 1940 is probably my lowest priority, either a 80 or 90, but, as they say, I wouldn't kick it out of the garage (slightly changed saying :) ).  To get such a car these days, I think I'd have to sell at least three of my five cars, and it just grieves me that somebody would pick one out and paint it up like that.  If you and others like it, that's okay I guess.  I'd rather have a 20-footer paint job, a fair interior and a really good running, dependable tour car.  "To each his own as the old lady said as she kissed the cow."

The other fun thing with it being painted up as a staff car is all of the Veterans events you get to do. I do several parades and events a year where we give rides to the Veterans Here is a short clip from Memorial day this year (the black Buick has magnetic stars so don't worry it has not been painted;)). I supplied the staff car, DUKW, 5 ton 6x6 and both 8X8's for a ceremony.

Edited by rdukw (see edit history)
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Love the Duck! Had a toy one when I was a kid and I remember it clearly.

Yeah the DUKW is one of my favourites in my collection. The one in the video is all original and probably one of the most original DUKW's around. I have a second one for sale that would look good in your collectionB)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...