Bon voyage

Pilgrim65

What a week end! Couldn't have made up a better ending to Ruby's journey here.

but feel I should reflect on the friends I have made and assistance /service they have given without which would still be only a dream of owning a American 50s classic .

Started with Nic at gateway Chicago , who negotiated on my behalf  to enable me to buy within budget , then with help of another salesman Todd provided assistance beyond the norm, helping with appraiser , obtaining shipping quotes, generating documents purely to meet import requirements here, and finally obtaining information from last owner regarding supplier of convertible top so I was I am able to order an exact replacement ,due to damage in transit. Both great guys thanks.

They gave me names of local classic car appraisers and I contacted Bill who has been an amazing guy , he carried a thorough appraisal , arranged a work shop to carry out repairs to items identified , actually drove it there and back 20 miles each way , bought me a workshop manual as a present!  We've exchanged many emails and phone calls and have become good friends and will stay in touch.

Bill put me in touch with another Bill and his wife Pam who run a classic car restoration business in New Lenox , another great friendly couple who repaired car , did a good job and trusted this foreigner to pay.  I now also class these folks as friends and hope to visit both Bills in coming years.

I know on some forums people mention companies and sometimes it is planned discreet advertising and I don't approve, so I only mention individuals who have provided me with service beyond my expectations , so I name Alex at west coast shipping and Levent at dolphin , both real gents!

If you have read earlier postings on this thread you will know Ruby nearly got sent back to Uk as customs were asking a huge figure for import duty.  This was resolved by Tamar president of classic car club , who I only knew as an acquaintance before my pursuit of a classic car. He has helped with advice provided one of his staff to help guide and translate a really kind friendly guy and has become a good friend, as he is here I have been able to thank him personally. The guide / translator Ishya really nice chap to.

So getting car here although stressful at times , has been rewarding by virtue of the friends I have made along the way.

Finally you guys , you know who you are. From the first responses to my postings and the friendlyness , interest shown, advice given , all I can say is thank you , you have added to my life. Classic car lovers are a great community.

Ruby in Cyprus post is coming!

pilgrim

Edited by Pilgrim65 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Great post Pilgrim!  Now, if you have some free times,  how about some pictures of Ruby in front of all those famous sites you have on your island. And along the back roads and by ways too.  It will keep some of us warm over the next few months.  :lol:  

• Like 3

I spent some time chatting with Todd at Gateway when we stopped in on our way back from Allentown. It turns out he has a '55 Buick (if memory is correct) and is a BCA member. I worked on getting him to bring it to Brookfield next year. 

Its been fun fun reading this thread from the beginning and catching the excitement. 

• Like 1

Ruby is finally home , just fits as you can see in attached photo. My wife had a good idea she put a large log across carport floor , which when I slowly roll into , stops the car about an inch from fence ! Also great help when gaining clutch control when reversing out , car dosnt roll back, nearly pushed through fence on first try!

Have a number plate now , with a 053 , could have purchased Buick 53 , which I would have loved, but $1000 and has to be renewed each year, to pricey .

Going to fix number plates  correctly to car this week end and off on a first cruise Sunday , bring it on.

as someone this board said , ' who's driving a classic Buick this week end ' me!

cheers

pilgrim.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

Hi guys 

Ruby cruises great drove about 30miles along the coast road , will get a bit more adventurous next outing, going to drive into Famagusta old walled city later this week , will post if I manage to manuouvre Ruby around small streets.

On our trip we stopped  for supper and drove back in the dark, put on the headlights but couldn't find main beam. However when I examined car documents found the original Buick owners booklet 63 years old and still good condition , thanks to all previous careful car owners . Brilliant little book explains all controls switches etc. Pleased me car shown on front same colour as mine !

Mind you would never have found headlight floor push switch if was under rubber mating, sorted now.

cheers

pilgrim

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 4

Good question John

Was 39 degrees at week end here  and as my Dad said I have an Irish complexion , dark hair/ fair skin , burn easily ! So sadly top on .

as the saying goes ' only mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid day sun' true but some of us cover up.

better this week 34 degrees been out with top down , but wear large hat ! 

Post again after next trip , but returning to Uk till end of month , family catch up.

cheers

pilgrim

Edited by Pilgrim65
Mistake (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

John 

youve given me a task.

sunsets , as it's getting late in the summer the great sunsets we have from our terrace have gone we earlier in year have the sun setting in  a sea horizon, but now has moved round and sets behind hills , posting today's but will take Ruby along the coast and obtain something better hopefully .

cheers

pilgrim

image.jpeg

Edited by Pilgrim65
Mistake (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Great weather here now for early evening cruise , thought may catch a great sunset into the ocean, but discovered on wrong side of  Karpaz , but still very enjoyable had a beer and took a few photos along coast road. Not quite Route 66 though!

managed to get one old building but going to take Ruby to old city next week should be able to get a few interesting ones.

cheers

pilgrim

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 6

Hi Dan 

great idea , John has already set me a task to get a good sunset , that was the plan today , but we live near a penisula and needed be on the other side as sun set behind hills on today's side . Determined now , watch this space ! 

Cheers

pilgrim

• Like 1

Pilgrim,

I have up till now been quietly watching and enjoying your progress on purchasing and now enjoying your baby. 

Looks like you might be the TALK OF THE TOWN, in this case the Island, with this impressive car!

Enjoy and continue to have fun! :)

On a side note, I'm a bit of a closet history buff and curious about the old building you pictured in the back ground. Looks to be very old construction / styling. There must be some stories about these kind of places?

Anything interesting you would care to share? 

Doug 

• Like 1

Hi doug

yes really enjoying car here , only Buick in north Cyprus .

we also love old buildings , discovered  this particular building about 5 years ago on the old nearly abandoned coast road. From the stonework and style of arches most of us think it dates from ottoman times and locals say it was a store and administration centre for produce and trading. Probably most recently used upto about 50 years ago by Greek farmers and abandoned in 1974 due to conflict.

there are many such sites here some dating back to Roman times  and castles built by Richard 1st at time of crusades and later venetians . Will post as I explore more with Ruby . Planning on visiting old walled city of Famagusta next week should obtain a few interesting photos.

thanks for interest.

cheers

pilgrim

• Like 2

Doug 

you ve started a discussion here with my friends and I'm reliably informed the produce kept in the store/ warehouse was olives. , olive oil and carobs , ready for  exportation  and probably some. Imported products  like wine and  grain as there was a harbour there .

cheers

pilgrim

On 12/10/2016 at 8:31 AM, Pilgrim65 said:

Hi doug

yes really enjoying car here , only Buick in north Cyprus .

we also love old buildings , discovered  this particular building about 5 years ago on the old nearly abandoned coast road. From the stonework and style of arches most of us think it dates from ottoman times and locals say it was a store and administration centre for produce and trading. Probably most recently used upto about 50 years ago by Greek farmers and abandoned in 1974 due to conflict.

there are many such sites here some dating back to Roman times  and castles built by Richard 1st at time of crusades and later venetians . Will post as I explore more with Ruby . Planning on visiting old walled city of Famagusta next week should obtain a few interesting photos.

thanks for interest.

cheers

pilgrim

Very interesting sir.:)

My wife and I went on a Mediterranean Cruise for the first time in 2012 and loved experiencing what we saw!

Always means so much more to be there in person after reading and learning things in school. 

See, you might not have Route 66 there but abandoned coast road, Old historic buildings tied to economy and travel, you have my interest. 

Keep the pictures coming and enjoy the journey with Ruby! 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoying this buick life , completed over 500miles with Ruby . Visited Famagusta old walked city as planned all ok apart from return caught in a tropical storm , hailstones and rain so heavy we had to stop as couldn't see more than 10 meters . Had just fitted new wiper blades they worked fine and luckily have had roof repaired so didn't pore in , but quite a few drips and spray , quarter lights let a fair bit in as rain was horizontal. No lasting problems though gave her a good chammy and dry off inside and out .

Few photos to follow , note sign about donations from US 

Good day lots of intetest from tourists and locals 

Hope you find interesting

Cheers

Pilgrim

20161018_114843.jpg

• Like 5

This tree  a ficus sycamorus was planted about the time cathederal started , about 1320 , so  nearly 700 years old , in Venetian times and  people found guilty of a crime or enemies in war , were hung in the tree and flayed alive, nearly as bad as the British favourite for treason, hung drawn and quartered!

image.jpg

• Like 2

Famagusta old city apparently has over 300 churches nearly one for every day of the year. Built by Armenians, Maronites , venetions , crusaders , and Byzantines , probably a Victorian British one there somewhere to! As it was a colony from 1878 till 1960 .

Some of the churches are even built underground and were used when that particular religion was banned or frowned upon.

one in background is one of the crusaders 

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Yes John 

churches do remain , but  remains are all there in many places , but whatever you follow or believe in still very interesting , the history associated with each and the differing architecture, not into modern boxes either.

this old one in current use.

image.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 3