TIRE SiZE

tigersdad

The other issue you might run in to is tire rub when the front wheels are turned hard left or right.   The issue is most new tires, reproduction or otherwise, are wider than what was originally installed.  It is very hard to get a size close to what the cas had originally,

Regarding the rubbing issue,  there is an adjustment bolt/stop on the hub . This can be adjusted to prevent rubbing on full lock at the expense of a slight increase in turning circle.  I don't think you will have a problem with the slightly wider tire.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, Marty.  Glad to hear it as I was leaning that way.  Even though the 6 x 20 are the original size to the car, I just think a larger tire would be better for today's roads and driving.  

PS: Still love all the pics you post of your cars!  Fantastic!  JK

On 7/21/2016 at 4:18 PM, tigersdad said:

Thanks, Marty.  Glad to hear it as I was leaning that way.  Even though the 6 x 20 are the original size to the car, I just think a larger tire would be better for today's roads and driving.  

PS: Still love all the pics you post of your cars!  Fantastic!  JK

JK,

The only concern you'll have is that the 7.00 x 20 will be very tight in the side-mount wells when fully inflated

I have a 733 with sidemounts and 700 x 20 tires, same body style as Martys. . Totally agree with Marty that although the tires fit in the wells of the front fenders and there is good clearance on the inside of the tire and fender where it mounts to the bracket, BUT you would have a hard time getting a thin sheet of paper between the outside of the tire and the fender. Without doubt you can not get on the proper metal tire covers if you have sidemounts and use 700 x 20 tires. I have to replace the tires on my car and will use 600 x 20 tires in the tire wells along with the metal covers but may go to 700 x 20 on the road. With painted metal tire covers that have both side plate and tread cover it would be hard to tell there were two different tire sizes.

Thanks, Walt.

Since my car has the spare on the back, it appears that it'll be safe to go with the 700 x 20 tire size.  I will have to check the angle of the spare on the back of the car, though.  That might be a tight fit.

J