Questions about 1960 Dynamic 88 Fiesta wagon

A friend of mine just bought a 1960 Olds Dynamic 88 Fiesta station wagon that has been sitting a number of years.   Two questions that I believe I know the answers to, but would like confirmation of, or to be corrected upon.

First, I am of the understanding that the Dynamic 88 engines for both 1959 and 1960 were the 371 c.i. V-8 rockets that were carried over from 1957-58 (without the J-2 triple carburetor option).  And that the Super 88s and Ninety-Eights from both years have the new 394 V-8 engines.  Did the buyer have the option of obtaining a 394 in a Dynamic 88, or not?

Also, pertaining to the rear bumper--is the wagon rear bumper interchangeable with the rear bumper from all the other 1960 Olds models, or was it exclusive to the wagon only?   It appears that any rear bumper from '60 would work--yes, or no?

Thanks for your clarification,

Mike

Edited by starfireelvis (see edit history)

Am not an authority, but I do believe the 394 was an available option in the Dynamic 88 line in 1960.  Fact is, anything and everything was available as an option if one was willing to pay for it!

I also believe the rear bumpers do interchange.

My beliefs are based on the fact that I did own a 1960 Super 88 back-in-the-day,

Edited by D Yaros (see edit history)

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2016 at 8:38 AM, starfireelvis said:

A friend of mine just bought a 1960 Olds Dynamic 88 Fiesta station wagon that has been sitting a number of years.   Two questions that I believe I know the answers to, but would like confirmation of, or to be corrected upon.

First, I am of the understanding that the Dynamic 88 engines for both 1959 and 1960 were the 371 c.i. V-8 rockets that were carried over from 1957-58 (without the J-2 triple carburetor option).  And that the Super 88s and Ninety-Eights from both years have the new 394 V-8 engines.  Did the buyer have the option of obtaining a 394 in a Dynamic 88, or not?

Also, pertaining to the rear bumper--is the wagon rear bumper interchangeable with the rear bumper from all the other 1960 Olds models, or was it exclusive to the wagon only?   It appears that any rear bumper from '60 would work--yes, or no?

Thanks for your clarification,

Mike

The 371 engine is the only engine for a Dynamic 88, if you want a 394 in a 88 you must buy a Super 88. Not really a carry over. The 371 was used until the end of 1964.

On 6/28/2016 at 3:09 PM, helfen said:

The 371 engine is the only engine for a Dynamic 88, if you want a 394 in a 88 you must buy a Super 88. Not really a carry over. The 371 was used until the end of 1964.

Makes sense from a marketing point of view given the GM "sell up" philosophy.

8 hours ago, D Yaros said:

Makes sense from a marketing point of view given the GM "sell up" philosophy.

Try looking at it in another way in those years.

Any full size Chevrolet came  with a 235 Six cylinder engine as the standard engine.

Full size Olds D. 88 came with a 371 V8 while S. 88 and 98 came with a 394.

Full size Buick Le Sabre came with a 364 while Invicta and Electra got the 401.

Full size Pontiac came with a 389 engine as standard on all models- Catalina, StarChief and Bonneville.

All Cadillac's/models came with a 390

The point I'm making is with Pontiac or Cadillac ALL models got the same displacement engines. Different horsepower perhaps but still the same engine.

Psychologically for Pontiac owners it meant they were getting more for their money and for Olds and Buick owners of Le Sabre and Dynamic 88 you were getting left over smaller power plants from previous years. 

That is not exactly sell up tactics, but that and many more examples why for most of the 60's decade Pontiac was # 3 in sales.  

1 hour ago, Pete Phillips said:

I think you are mistaken about the 371. It disappeared after 1960. The 394 was used through 1964, and disappeared after 1964.

Pete Phillips

Leonard, Texas

Yes Pete you are correct.

As an FYI for future reference, my friend Paul confirmed that, according to the parts manuals he has at his disposal, there is no difference with the rear bumper  between the Fiesta Wagon models, and the rest of the 88/98 line-up.

And,  thanks for the feedback from everyone regarding my original questions...

• 7 months later...