Looking for a Hudson or Terraplane Pickup

• 2 weeks later...

I found a few more but still looking.  Nothing is quite right yet.  I don't mind putting a little work in it but I would hope the price reflects what it needs especially on the mechanical end.  

I found this one but with the radiator, gas tank, and exhaust in the bed.  A running motor in the engine bay but not plumbed in, so it hasn't run long enough to know if it overheats or what the oil temp is when hot, and new brakes run but with surface rust on the brake hose ends making me lead to believe that since the system was never filled with fluid the cylinders may be rusted and all those rubber lines may be dry rot.   It has "new tires"  but I'm not sure how old new is.  They don't look real fresh.  

At 12,500 it's solid but I think a bit pricey.  15 hours round trip drive time to look at it  means I would probably just have it shipped.   I think with so much unknown about the mechanics  it's overpriced.  I'm not sure how any of the suspension is either so their is another unknown.

It does appear to be very rot free though. 

Am I overexpecting here?  I saw several that sold fairly recent and they seemed better for the money.

409 motor 170.JPG

409 motor 183.JPG

409 motor 169 (2).JPG

409 motor 165.JPG

only you can make the final decision and in the end, yes it only comes down to how much you want to spend. Whether one wants to admit, it is all about what you are getting for the price.

that truck looks like 10k to me, but Im not in the mkt for one and may be a great value. as it seems so few are out there, I guess if I were you, the most important thing for me would be any rust issues.

seeing we are both from the same general area...........

10 or 15k doesnt seem to buy much these days.  any less looks to be a major project or parts car.

It seems to have all original sheet metal.

Many of the restored ones have passenger car doors and fenders , that have to be modified and holes filled.

I see a few parts missing , but they are the same as Passenger car.

Doesn't look like you'd be driving it this year.

All of the later 48-56 engines will fit with minor alterations.

I think 10K is fair price. With your experience you could tinker and enjoy , and make a few dollars when your ready to move on.

I actually started with a coupe express or Hudson in mind,  then realized that finding a coupe express is a pretty tall order to fill in any shape that is for sale.  (probably a little easier than finding one of the few Auburn Pickups that were built)  There seems to be actually quite a few Hudson pickups for sale. 

I know of one with a twin H transplant in my area (3 hours away)  I'm waiting on pictures of that but it may have alot of rust repair issues.   The original 5 pictures I saw of it showed it in pretty good shape but upon blowing them up and examining crucial areas I believe there may be more hidden issues.

I found out about a few more today that are being checked into for me. 

I'm sure i will find one,  it's just a matter of where and when. 

I was thinking 10 on that project one as well.  I just wish it was a little more turn key.  Brakes or something else are one thing but when pretty much every one of the systems is down that creates a huge area of risk/ doubt. 

If anyone sees a coupe express for sale , I'm all ears.