1937 115C with Chandler Grove carb

CartRich

I have a 1937 115C with a Chandler Grove carb. Last time I took it out, I had all sorts of problems with gas pouring out of the carb. I parked it for the winter with the intent of ordering a rebuild kit. However, what I am finding out now is that Packard had problems with these carbs and seem to have changed out a lot of them to other manufacturers. As far as I can tell, the owner's manual does mention Chandler Grove but most of the specs I otherwise search out do not. What specifically were the problems that they had with them? This was my father's car and he always worked on it and I don't remember him every really having had much trouble with it. 

FOT41C5.JPG

FOTD17.JPG

Edited by CartRich
amended sentence (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

Most all of the Chandler Groves carburetors on the 115Cs have been replaced with a Carter or a Stromberg, because of numerous problems with the CGs. My 115C is fitted with a Stromberg with an electrically operated choke. It has been trouble free in the 10-years I have owned the car. Check with Max Merritt or Kanter for a replacement. You'll be glad you did.

• 3 months later...

Sorry, I just saw this response. When I got back to the car, I had been advised to tap the fuel bowl with a screwdriver as the issue was most likely a stuck float. Sure enough, problem solved (gas had been pouring out of the carb). I'm still not sure what the ongoing problems had been with this manufacturer's carb but I do know, that this car has always been problematic starting after it has sat for over a couple of days. Perhaps that was the issue they were having? Our solution has always been squirting just a little bit of gas down the carb and it fires up. Hopefully when the budget allows a bit more breathing room, I'll investigate replacing the carb. Sounds like the route to take regardless.

Packard tried the Chandler Groves carburetor beginning in 1937. Because of issues, it was superceded twice in 1937 (there are three different 1937 carbs, each taking different rebuilding kits). They continued the fiasco in 1938, and two different carbs were produced in 1938; again, each taking different rebuilding kits.

In 1939, Packard gave up, and went to Carter in 1939, and Stromberg in 1940 on the sixes. Post WWII, Packard went back to Carter.

Both Stromberg and Carter offered, through Packard, replacement carbs for the 1937 and 1938 six cylinder Packards, as well as over the counter through Carter and Stromberg distributors.

There are a number of different Carter and Stromberg carbs which may be used, ALL of which are. much better than the Chandler Groves. One does have to fabricate an adapter to close off the exhaust port in the intake manifold that was used to activate the Chandler Groves automatic choke.

The only other single barrel original equipment use of a Chandler Groves was the 1937 Plymouth. Plymouth tried a few (according to documentation, but have never seen one) on the P-3 passenger; and also used them on the P-5 and PT-50 trucks. The Plymouth versions were manual choke. Would guess all of the ones used on the P-3 were quickly replaced by the Carter BBR-1.

Of course, the Chandler Groves two-barrel (AA-1) was used successfully by Ford for many years. Only the earliest are actually marked Chandler Groves, as the Chandler Groves company was purchased by Holley. The model AA-1 Holley is more universally known as the Holley model 94 as that was the diameter of the main venturii on many models, and the number 94 was cast on the end of the bowl.

Believe you will be happier with either the Carter or the Stromberg.

Jon.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

I've been using a Carter WA-1 (I think!) for the past year on my 115C.   Stole it from my '40 110 that had been sitting for 25 years.  Bolted it on, hooked up everything, started on the second crank.  Won't look back. 

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the info. I'll probably contact one of the Packard suppliers one of these days about getting a different carb than the Chandler Groves. That would appear to be the consensus. The car continues to run fine with the CG but I always have to prime it with some gas after it sits for a few days plus, there seems to be a "flat spot" at the low end of the acceleration which improved somewhat with the replacement of the gas pedal as well as after spraying some carb cleaner into it.