TC Custom Stereo install!

Guest EmmettTC

Guest EmmettTC

Hey guys just thought I'd share the outcome of my full sound installation, I replaced the door speakers and speakers in the tonneau compartment, replaced the stock stereo with a pioneer head unit and added a 400 watt  amp and 10" subwoofer in the spare tire storage. Adding the sub was the hardest part because I had to completely cut out the black plastic molding that forms the compartment for the spare tire, tool kit and jack. It was well worth it! I'd be happy to answer any questions about sound installation, wiring or anything. Lemme know!

IMG_20160611_130806980.jpg

IMG_20160611_130832311.jpg

IMG_20160611_130913391.jpg

IMG_20160611_130917637.jpg

Guest GregTC
1 hour ago, EmmettTC said:

Hey guys just thought I'd share the outcome of my full sound installation, I replaced the door speakers and speakers in the tonneau compartment, replaced the stock stereo with a pioneer head unit and added a 400 watt  amp and 10" subwoofer in the spare tire storage. Adding the sub was the hardest part because I had to completely cut out the black plastic molding that forms the compartment for the spare tire, tool kit and jack. It was well worth it! I'd be happy to answer any questions about sound installation, wiring or anything. Lemme know!

IMG_20160611_130806980.jpg

IMG_20160611_130832311.jpg

IMG_20160611_130913391.jpg

IMG_20160611_130917637.jpg

Nice I'm working on a up grade myself 

Guest EmmettTC
7 hours ago, Reaper1 said:

Mine will have a small system in it when I'm done as well. What did you do about that lid rattling?

No rattles. As long as it latches shut there's nothing. I cut out everything except the latch for the lid haha. Also if you have messed with adding speakers back there previously and heard rattles, it is very unlikely to be the lid but rather the black molding for the spare tire. The compartment rattles because the black plastic molding is riveted all along frame of the compartment (where the ginger carpeting is) the rivets get loose over time so adding a sub over the black plastic rattles the hell out of the compartment. Didn't really have a choice against that many rivets so I attacked it with a reciprocating saw and jig saw lol. 

Edited by EmmettTC (see edit history)

Guest EmmettTC
13 minutes ago, jayspartanburg said:

To anyone that saw my post on here I apologize, I thought I had commented on my build thread. EmmettTC, nice install, it looks real clean

Thank you! I look forward to seeing yours!

All good stuff to know! Thanks!

My idea is to mount the sub in the trunk and try to tuck it up under the soft top shelf. I want to put the amps under the soft top shelf as well, so I don't loose so much storage. I want to keep my spare where it is. (reminds me...I gotta put it back in the car before the trip!)

Guest EmmettTC
6 hours ago, Reaper1 said:

All good stuff to know! Thanks!

My idea is to mount the sub in the trunk and try to tuck it up under the soft top shelf. I want to put the amps under the soft top shelf as well, so I don't loose so much storage. I want to keep my spare where it is. (reminds me...I gotta put it back in the car before the trip!)

Smart idea, that wouldn't be too difficult either!

Thanks. Yeah, I was running a 10" sub in a sealed box (~1cuft) at I think 400WRMS 1-ohm. with Infinity 5.25" components up front (tweets in the dash), and Memphis 5x7's in my Daytona at ~75WRMS. It was plenty loud and clear. Unfortunately the Memphis speakers were pretty old and the suspension ring disintegrated on them. The head unit was a Pioneer DEH-7xxx series (forgot exactly). I still have it all. I'm going to obviously have to replace the 5x7's (I don't think that's a TC size anyway), but I'm not 100% convinced that I *need* all 8 speakers as my experience with my Daytona was quite satisfying. I do have another slightly newer Pioneer head unit that actually puts out something like 50WRMS and I have been considering using a rear channel from that for the fill. Thoughts?

Guest EmmettTC

The nice thing about the TC is the speaker placement with the 2 speakers in the Touneau cover. They are parallel with the driver and passengers head so any 2 nice 5.25"s will blow you away. You wont even need separate tweeters. You can get away with 2 not as nice speakers in the doors and still have a great set up because of how clear and direct the speakers behind your head are. I was planning on getting a 2 channel amp to run those hot but after putting them in and hooking up to the pioneer HU, it would be a waste of time and money and my hearing if I ever turned them up loud enough to use the amp. Try going with the 50 RMS Pioneer HU and putting some nice speakers in that compartment. If they need more power you can always add a 2 channel in the spare tire storage and wire it to the speakers in the compartment above.

Guest EmmettTC

Really? I have 2x 8 Ohm AC Delco 5.25" and there's plenty, they're running at about 22 watts RMS. If you have a sub and run a high pass filter on the cabin speakers, you can crank them and they will stay clean since there's no bass begging for power and creating distortion. High pass is key.

Guest EmmettTC
On 6/19/2016 at 0:03 AM, jayspartanburg said:

As soon as I find the radio harness I'll connect everything back up, but that's the way I remember it. I might just need better speakers. 

I just wanted to say, I'm so jealous of your air ride haha maybe one day I'll have a set up like that, I love it.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm thinking about putting 6x9's in the back. With the top down it seems as if the 5.25's don't produce enough "mid" sound.

I have the music installed and there's high range for days, but I'm only getting highs and lows, not much  in between. I played with the radio and amp settings and it's either speaker quality or their size, so I'm just gonna upgrade in both aspects to ensure I don't have to do it over again :(:)

Edited by jayspartanburg (see edit history)

• 9 months later...

Whenever you get a chance, can you share the dimensions of your sub box? I'm having issues with not enough sound getting into the car with the top down. I ordered a box so I can put something a lil stronger in the trunk for now, but I'm either going to do what you did or connect the trunk and the passenger compartment with some sort of vents.

Guest EmmettTC
6 hours ago, jayspartanburg said:

Whenever you get a chance, can you share the dimensions of your sub box? I'm having issues with not enough sound getting into the car with the top down. I ordered a box so I can put something a lil stronger in the trunk for now, but I'm either going to do what you did or connect the trunk and the passenger compartment with some sort of vents.

Sure I'll take those measurements tomorrow!