buick5563

Tools you really need

101 posts in this topic

Keep the suggestion coming....I'm making a list and headed for Harbor Freight

Harbor Freight...buy 2 of each.;)

3 people like this

all of them ,that's which ones you need, all of them

1 person likes this

Some of the best "tools" aren't what we consider tools at all.  Here are some things I find useful:  Pieces of mirror glass with bendable 14 gauge copper wire glued on, cut in shapes to fit the occasion and need for seeing into inaccessible places, cue tips for cleaning and applying grease to small parts, medical syringes for getting glue or oil into tight spaces, aluminum angle iron bent down on the ends for making no-mar vise jaw liners, disposable plastic frozen dinner trays for temporary small parts organizers and catching small spills, unstranded fine gauge telephone wire for temporary light duty twist-ems, 14 gauge electrical wire strands for tie-offs such as tying brake calipers up while changing rotors, disposable funnels made from various plastic bottle necks as appropriate for a special purpose, plastic medical tubing with an enlarged end, cut to size for getting lubricant to hard to reach places, popsickle sticks for mixing things such as 2 part epoxy, Plastic newspaper sleeves with the closed end opened to put over your arms to keep from getting greasy when delving into awful spaces, cotton ball wads to hold rust penetrant on frozen nuts. 

5 people like this

42 minutes ago, Dave Henderson said:

Some of the best "tools" aren't what we consider tools at all.  Here are some things I find useful:  Pieces of mirror glass with bendable 14 gauge copper wire glued on, cut in shapes to fit the occasion and need for seeing into inaccessible places, cue tips for cleaning and applying grease to small parts, medical syringes for getting glue or oil into tight spaces, aluminum angle iron bent down on the ends for making no-mar vise jaw liners, disposable plastic frozen dinner trays for temporary small parts organizers and catching small spills, unstranded fine gauge telephone wire for temporary light duty twist-ems, 14 gauge electrical wire strands for tie-offs such as tying brake calipers up while changing rotors, disposable funnels made from various plastic bottle necks as appropriate for a special purpose, plastic medical tubing with an enlarged end, cut to size for getting lubricant to hard to reach places, popsickle sticks for mixing things such as 2 part epoxy, Plastic newspaper sleeves with the closed end opened to put over your arms to keep from getting greasy when delving into awful spaces, cotton ball wads to hold rust penetrant on frozen nuts. 

Dang it Dave, my garage will not hold all that!:P

Ben

2 people like this

Best tool you will ever need.

brain-2.jpg  

2 people like this

Don't forget one of these for resting, or hiding out from the other half.

100_1287.jpg

3 people like this

20 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

Best tool you will ever need.

brain-2.jpg  

Not familiar with that one, can you describe its use?

3 people like this

On March 20, 2017 at 11:29 AM, old-tank said:

Harbor Freight...buy 2 of each.;)

Took your advice Willie and bought two of these. I considered just buying one set and placing them diagonally and letting the car teeter while moving it but splurged and bought two sets, what the heck it's only money! 

Seriously, these are pretty nice and love the handles. They come in handy for moving all sorts of things from welding tables to big iron pipe or whatever. 

http://t.harborfreight.com/2-piece-1500-lb-capacity-vehicle-dollies-67338.html?utm_referrer=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F

Pittsburgh® Automotive 67338 2 Piece  Capacity Vehicle Wheel Dollies

1 person likes this

I got a set of dollies as well for the 54 to move towards the wall of my garage.  It allows room for the 1960 and a good size path to get into the house.  

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

I once had one. Not sure where it went.

Ben

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, MrEarl said:

I usually sit on mine. 

1 person likes this

6 hours ago, MrEarl said:

2 hours ago, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Ben

You didn't leave it here, wouldn't have minded if you had though. Sure could use some straight-eight knowledge these days...

2 people like this

Mr. Earl and all others who bought the HFT car dollies in post #84. Beware and aware when using them. I had a set under a '65 Wildcat parts car that I had to turn 180 degrees on a cement driveway. While doing so the stems on ten of the castors bent where they went through the platforms. I did manage to get the car re-positioned where it needed to be. Once I looked at the damage I replaced the ten castors with the four bolt flange type of the same size after straightening the corners of the platforms. Fortunately none of the dollies went completely to ground but in my opinion the choice of this type of castor for this use was not well thought out. Perhaps the dolly maker should have adopted the Buick montra of "When better Dollies Are Built, ???? Will Build Them" Just for the good of the cause.........  Mark   

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the tip Mark.   I have the dollies under the rear of my 54.  I drive my 54 into the garage and get the nose as close to the wall as possible.  Then put the rear on the dollies and push to the wall. Then just pull from the wall and take off the dollies.  Back out.    Worked out well.  

I purchased:

Pentagon Tools 5061 Tire Skates 2 Tire Wheel Car Dolly Ball Bearings Skate, 12" (Pack of 2) Rated at 6000lbs.

71ZabEoDEXL._SX342_.jpg

Edited by avgwarhawk (see edit history)

16 hours ago, Mark Simmons said:

Mr. Earl and all others who bought the HFT car dollies in post #84. Beware and aware when using them. I had a set under a '65 Wildcat parts car that I had to turn 180 degrees on a cement driveway. While doing so the stems on ten of the castors bent where they went through the platforms. I did manage to get the car re-positioned where it needed to be. Once I looked at the damage I replaced the ten castors with the four bolt flange type of the same size after straightening the corners of the platforms. Fortunately none of the dollies went completely to ground but in my opinion the choice of this type of castor for this use was not well thought out. Perhaps the dolly maker should have adopted the Buick montra of "When better Dollies Are Built, ???? Will Build Them" Just for the good of the cause.........  Mark   

Wow Mark, thanks for the heads up, I'll be extra observant next time I move the '54  that's on them now?

Last night every seven minutes a blonde woman with a loud overpowering voice came on TV and said "If you or a relative has ever purchased or seen a pair of Harbor Freight dollys, you may be entitled to a large settlement from Dewey, Cheatem, and Howe!

It was a refreshing change from the pelvic mesh legal suit. Actually the mesh is selling cheap now and great for those spring household repairs like repairing screens. The legal suit may cover faulty screen repairs, as well.

Bernie

2 people like this

On 3/28/2017 at 7:43 AM, Ben Bruce aka First Born said:

Ben

I thought I had one, until I started restoring my Buick.

1 person likes this

I would say you have a pretty good one Benjamin and you definitely use it often and well. 

1 person likes this

Here is a tool I borrowed from my wife. (She is still looking for it)

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

So much for any casserole dishes at your table!!!   Damn ingenious!

1 person likes this

I'll take mine over easy...  ;)

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

I just purchased this item. The reason being difficulty lubing the tie rod/ball joints etc.   Holding the nipple on the zerk plus attempting to hold the pump and pump the lube just does not go well when laying under the Buick.  Furthermore, the lube was just not getting into the tie rods and ball joints.   This tool holds secure to the zerk and the lube definitely gets to the parts that require lube and not all over the outside dropping globs on the floor. LockNLube!   Worth every penny.

Grease_Coupler_IsometricLocked_700px.png   

4 people like this

10 hours ago, avgwarhawk said:

I just purchased this item. The reason being difficulty lubing the tie rod/ball joints etc.   Holding the nipple on the zerk plus attempting to hold the pump and pump the lube just does not go well when laying under the Buick.  Furthermore, the lube was just not getting into the tie rods and ball joints.   This tool holds secure to the zerk and the lube definitely gets to the parts that require lube and not all over the outside dropping globs on the floor. LockNLube!   Worth every penny.

Grease_Coupler_IsometricLocked_700px.png   

I like that! Where did you get that?

1 person likes this

Larry,

Amazon. $29.00 and worth it in my opinion. Every zerk fitting was lubed well and no mess dropping on the floor.