Tools you really need

I have seen so many posts as of late asking how best to tackle certain projects and wanted to start a thread with mandatory tools. I'm not talking about socket sets and screwdrivers. If you don't have those, you need to sell your car.  (I am not endorsing brands).

I will start with two "go to" tools. 

Everybody needs ratcheting box end wrenches. I prefer the reversible type that you don't have to flip over to reverse.

http://www.dewalt.com/en-us/products/hand-tools/wrenches-and-wrench-sets/10-pc-reversible-ratcheting-wrench-set-sae/dwmt72169

Spark checker. Don't hold your spark plug wire near metal. Buy this:

https://m.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-86579?seid=srese1&gclid=CjwKEAjw7e66BRDhnrizmcGc8VcSJABR6gaRAAldVJQ95-FuW8VTMBE09ZOlz3nIZKD_gtkaPzCMqRoC7O7w_wcB

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by buick5563 (see edit history)

I was about to say a multimeter is a must.  Even a cheap Chinese one is useful in most cases.

For dialing in a voltage regulator, the ammeter side of most multimeters is useless.  Even the pricey ones are only good to 10A for 30 seconds or so.  Since '56s use 30 amp generators, you'd probably want a 50A meter for headroom.  You can put one together for about $10 on eBay (clamps are worthless on DC).

I also have a tube tester, which was handy when I repaired the old Sonomatic 20 years ago, but I picked up a dead radio at a swap meet for $20, gutted it, and put a solid state amp in there.  

Anyone else have a tube tester?

Edited by SpecialEducation (see edit history)

As I get older I find my eyes don't see as well as they used to in dimmer light.  I found a 120 LED rechargeable 4 foot trouble light that I can hang up under the hood. Makes it nice and bright.  Also a good tactical flashlight.

A extendable magnetic picker upper so you don't have to crawl under the car to get the nut / bolt / tool you dropped under the car.

For those Buicks before self-adjusting brakes, a good strong brake adjuster - looks like a crow-bar, about eight inches long.  Essential. 

Oh, and a torque wrench, a quality floor jack and stands, and cardboard under the car so I clan slide around easier on my back.

An assortment of taps and dies for cleaning up threads on nasty old fasteners.

Shop rags, multiple cans of brake clean, a standing motor with a grinding wheel on one side and a wire wheel on the other, a blast cabinet as big as you can go, with attached compressor...

Dental picks for detail cleaning...

A cigar in my hand, and Johnny Cash on the radio, "I got it one piece at a time..."

I remember my dad building a '41 Willys coupe for drag racing when I was growing up.  Not many tools, and simple ones at that, but he had a lot of friends who helped him.  He died at 37, back in 1979. I remember him marveling at the garage full of tools our old neighbor had next door.  I'm 50 now and have been blessed to add Dad's tool box...

• Like 3

My list woud include besides the basic hand wrenches, etc,

1. Decent size air compressor.

2. Oxy-Acetelyne torch set. Great for those rusted stuck nuts, etc.

3. Agree with good Digital Volt Ohm Meter, but also a test light.

4. Compression gauge

5. Good assortment of hammers.  There is no such thing as a universal hammer.  I also have an anvll for bending things flat again.

6. Good bench vice.

7. Good work bench

8. Large assortment of screwdrivers.

9. A  couple of differerent sizes of vice grips.

10. Severl different sizes of good slip joint pliars (Channel Locks)

This are just a few of my thoughts.

Forgot to add

11. Good floor jack

12. 1/2" impact wrench for taking off wheels, etc

13. 3/8" air ratchet wrench

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 2

As Larry mentioned "vice" (the "holding" kind), then a low-profile fast-rise  jack (one of the aluminum NASCAR types is a ++++) could not be far behind, plus the associated STURDY jack stands.  It's been quite some time since I could slide under a normal car (on the ground) to do a normal oil and filter change (for example), so these items are now necessary.  The particular jack has a minimum slide-under height of 3", which can come in handy (normal ones are more like 5" minimum).

Now, there is ONE item when has not been mentioned, but was mentioned by a visitor to one of our chapter meetings.  This particular "tool" helped him greatly as he did "behind the instrument panel" work, plus it can assist in other areas, too.  A smartphone with a built-in hi-res camera and automatic flash.  And, for Old-Tank, that is one tool that might not "draw blood".   And, with the correct "apps", can do the "chassis dyno" function (mentioned by Mr. Stoneberg a few years ago) and GPS speedometer (as 5563 illustrated a year or so ago).  Not unlike a straight-blade screwdriver that works on different size screws.

As always, WATCH FOR SALES . . . whether at restoration supply entities, the home improvement stores, (a major department store known for its brand of tools), or local auto supply stores.

ONE thing which might seem a little "ancient", but still has relevancy, is wood-handled screw drivers.  Not just the better feel, but also the insulation properties of wood.  In a selection of lengths, tips, and sizes.  Some of the heavier-duty screw drivers have "hard plastic" handles and even some with socket wrench attachments (or wrench hexes on the shaft), but if you need THAT much torque on a screw, might need another plan of attack.

NTX5467

• Like 1

Another side of 5563's idea might be "What's in the toolbox that you keep in the vehicle's cargo area" rather than "in the shop"?  Presuming your cell phone (in whatever variation) is already in your pocket.  "Cargo area" can be "in the floor, somewhere", "in the trunk", in the "hidden compartment of a station wagon", or similar.

NTX5467

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

OH MY, OH MY,  am I  the ONLY one that thinks the SCALLOPS SPRAY GUN is the tool of choice?

Well, I think I will go eat a can of worms, what's this world coming to?

Got to LOVE this site, and Ben toooooooooo!  I wonder, I wonder, WHAT tool will Ben pick?  hehe

Dale in Indy  

24 minutes ago, smithbrother said:

OH MY, OH MY,  am I  the ONLY one that thinks the SCALLOPS SPRAY GUN is the tool of choice?

Well, I think I will go eat a can of worms, what's this world coming to?

Got to LOVE this site, and Ben toooooooooo!  I wonder, I wonder, WHAT tool will Ben pick?  hehe

Dale in Indy  

On the front of my tool box is an OFF button!

Ben

• Like 2

From reading about all the tools that you guys have it would seem that there isn't anything that you could not do.  I have a pretty complete shop myself, but, I have come to the conclusion that I have the tool that beats all of your tools put together.  You see I have this good looking little gal that has two of the handiest hands that anyone has every seen.  She knows the difference between box end and open end wrenches.  She knows exactly how to take ripped trim boards off the end of the table saw for the old house restoration project.  She knows the correct side of the nut to start on the threaded bolt and the list could almost go on forever.  I keep telling her that when this house restoration is done that she will be able to hire out and keep up with the best of them.  She just fumes and walks away and then we both get a good laugh out of it.  She definitely qualifies as the best assistant in my shop and Ben, she even wears a visor now and then.

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah  America

• Like 2

Mapp gas, 3/8 universal joint, wobble extension and a couple various length extensions, offset ratcheting phillips head screwdriver, 3 foot long piece of pipe for a breaker bar extension.  The open end ratcheting wrenches are almost a necessity to get the engine to transmission bolts out.

+1 on wasp spray.

• Like 1

And, from the "SOHK", have the gumption to take something you can't fix to somebody who can BEFORE it's broken.  Then watch what they do, position that against your then-current expertise, available funding, and possible later investments so you can do it yourself next time, if desired.  In the long run, there are some things best left to those that are more used to doing them, provided they do a good job of it.

Don't forget the "label maker" so you know where things are supposed to be.  Key work, "supposed"!  Perhaps somebody will start making some inexpensive GPS tracking chips for tools?

Related to the prior smartphone suggestion, scan and download the noted service manual section sto an iPad or similar.  That way, the greasy fingerprints will wipe off  better than from the pages of the paper service manual.  Easier to carry, too, as long as you take the battery charger for it.  Just be sure to turn it off before cleaning the screen!

NTX5467

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, smithbrother said:

Good thing to have,  but, but, but, I couldn't find one on HOW TO MODIFY A 1941 LIMITED. 

I wonder if there is one on 'HOW TO REMOVE A VISOR'?

Dale in Indy

Got to find those old copies of "car magazines" for those things.

(Modify a 41 Limited for speed, braking, racin', "street rod"????  YIKES!!)

NTX5467

My wife gave me a Metrinch set of tools right after we got married, over 30 years ago.  She saw it on TV.  It was advertised as a set for both SAE and Metric measurements in one tool kit.  But, for me, the biggest use is for rounded off nuts and bolts.  I cannot tell you how many times I've rounded off a bolt head or nut where none of my conventional tools would grip it.  But a Metrinch socket or wrench would.  You may not want to buy a Metrinch set specifically, but you need something designed to grip rounded off bolts and nuts. 

Also, I tend to use nothing but 6-point sockets now, primarily to avoid rounding them off to begin with.

Metrinch Set.jpg

• Like 1

I have on occasion slipped some aluminum foil over a nut/head if I felt the fit was a bit sloppy,.

Oh so many tools, I'm NOT one for the TRICK TOOL OF THE WEEK.  Example: the hand/palm squeezing screw driver, there is no way it provides the pressure needed, IMO.  Might be SOME help on loose wood screws in tight spots, maybe.

I pick my tools carefully, after 55+ years of collecting 'needed' tools, well I don't find many I need. 

Dale in Indy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TxBuicks said:

Also, I tend to use nothing but 6-point sockets now, primarily to avoid rounding them off to begin with.

I used to say I keep 12-pt metrics for my newer stuff and 6-pt SAE for the older cars, but people have been calling my '80s GMs "old" and "vintage" lately so I got some 6-pt metrics for them, just in case...:blink:

I also keep 12-pt SAE around for airplanes so I'm covered all around.  I also highly recommend 'flare nut' or b-nut wrenches to keep from rounding plumbing fittings.  I finally had to pick up a metric set of those for my 'newer' newer cars (my '80s GMs tend to me metric everywhere except the plumbing).

Also, here's a handy little device that I use a lot that makes just about any wrench a crow's foot:

http://www.partsgiant.com/p313972-motion-pro-adjustable-torque-wrench-adapter

D1OBUXBOOFKQHEFV-product-primary.jpg

I'm feeling really lucky. I have a lot of tools, but just walking around with the detailer bottle and a microfiber cloth is what comes to mind first. I just checked and this IS the Buick Forum.

I do have one special tool I might get a picture of later.

Bernie

• Like 1

A reciprocating saw was mentioned earlier.  YIKES!!  BUT . . . a Hackzall is just right for one-handed use (nice balance, too!) and mine has a 20V battery, so it's portable!  Can be used in other places than on cars!!  Found it and a driver-drill on sale for $100.00/pair (PLUS a hd carrying case!) a year or so ago. 

NTX5467