2016 Grand National - Williamsport

Guest windjamer

OMG. I voice from the past. I think of you at least once or twice each mo. There's an old fire truck just sitting that I pass and I always remember the vesicle's YOU and your dad restored. GOOD JOB Ex. I was also at YOUR Nat. I don't know what you mean by black eye,but your region also put on a vary good show. The only problem I saw was the weather,it was a touch to warm,nex time a nice cool breeze if you don't mind. Good to hear from you. 

Yeah I'm still around, just much more out of sight and much less involved than in years past.  My father got tired of the BS and quit AACA and both of us are entirely out of a region.  If I wasn't already a life member I'd be gone too.

I've been waiting for the meet results because after the Chief Judge released the field we loaded up and headed home.  We were unloaded, unhooked and everything was put away by 6:30 Saturday night. 

I was also hopinig to snag a picture because we worked on the truck, they judged it, we went to lunch, we came out, it rained, and then we were released.  I never got  a shot at the truck.  Did you get a dash plaque??  There wasn't anyone handing them out like they usually do.

As for fire trucks, we're building another one, and tonight I'm going to find out if I'm going to be getting a second ladder truck.

By the way, good to hear from you too.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)

2 hours ago, jack gto said:

does anybody when they post the results of the 2016 grand national

They're up and we won a Repeat Senior Grand National.  It's hard to do that with a car but it's a bear to do with a fire truck.  Out of the 81 year history of AACA, we're now only the second people in history to win a Repeat Senior Grand National with a fire engine.  We share that with only Bill Lawler.

I doubt we'll do too many more Grand Nationals unless they're close to home.  It's hard hauling that fire truck.  Back in February we bought a larger trailer.  Once that's in shape we'll probably run the long trips but not with the '42 Ford.  I'm sure once the '41 Ford is done that will change.  The nice thing about the meet in Williamsport was that we could make it down without a fuel stop, spend one night in a hotel, top off, and make it back home without a fuel stop.  We were able to do that meet for less than $200.

Edited by ex98thdrill (see edit history)

For all those AACA Members who were unable to attend this year's Grand National I thought you might like to watch the following video that AACA member Doug Novak put together of the event. I met Doug Friday evening in the parking lot of the on campus housing and again Saturday morning at breakfast. Nice to meet you Doug and Thank You for taking the time to make this video.

2016 AACA Grand National, Williamsport, PA

Congratulations on your First Grand National Award

Edited by charlier (see edit history)
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

Are there any pix of what a first award looks like?.........................Bob

The Annual Grand National First Prize Award is the one on the far left in the Annual Grand National Trophy Group in the link below. The black area on the front of the trophy under the Duryea is where the engraved plate goes that contains the owner's name and the year, make and model of the vehicle. The AGNM Senior trophy on the far right also get the engraved plate with the same information. Those who receive the Annual Grand National First Prize Award also receive the A.G.N.M. First Prize Badge to be mounted on their vehicle pictured in the link below..

AACA Awards.pdf

Edited by charlier
correct names of awards (see edit history)

10 hours ago, charlier said:

For all those AACA Members who were unable to attend this year's Grand National I thought you might like to watch the following video that AACA member Doug Novak put together of the event. I met Doug Friday evening in the parking lot of the on campus housing and again Saturday morning at breakfast. Nice to meet you Doug and Thank You for taking the time to make this video.

2016 AACA Grand National, Williamsport, PA

Congratulations on your First Grand National Award

,wow, some nice stuff there

The number I heard bandied about was 637 vehicles registered; also heard as an FYI that there were 550 trailers parked as well.   Given that the expectation was reportedly originally for about 400 vehicles, the Susquehanna Region and the AACA did a tremendous job in making the meet a terrific success...

Congratulations to the Susquehannock Region AACA on an outstanding Grand National Meet.  Everything was perfect.  How they ever organized the trailer parking is beyond me, but they did it and did it well.  You couldn't ask for a better venue with the nice shade trees keeping the hot sun off us and they added a touch of class as well.  What I was most surprised at was the food provided at the banquet.  When you think of a banquet, the old "rubber chicken" is what you expect. Not here - the food was outstanding.  Additionally, the organizers kept everything moving along nicely, so it didn't become an all night affair.  What was really nice was the fact that the awards were upstairs after the dinner in a beautiful auditorium where everyone could view the recipients and the awards.

We stayed in the dorms and they were clean and very accessible.  Ours could sleep 6 (we had 3), with a kitchen and private bathroom.  There were plenty of restaurants in the area for meals and takeout pizza.

Finally, it was so refreshing to be able to wander over to the campus restaurant and get a quality lunch.  I had the "Turkey Rachel" sandwich with cranberry bread and it was fabulous - for a mere $5.  

I honestly cannot find one thing wrong - which is amazing for an event of these proportions.

Thank you to all of the organizers, judges and volunteers.  Job well done!!!

11 hours ago, starfireelvis said:

Was my pleasure to park next to you, and meet you John.   It was a great day!

Mike, same here the shade made everything!  I was very happy for that, I brought a friend of mine who has been fighting some health issues, thought it would be good to get him out and about. My fear was the sun on him. He did well! He actually started the AACA non Geo-graphic V-8 era Chevrolet Chapter. It is no-dues chapter with a great e-newsletter, it keeps him going. His goal was to go out and try to recruit new members but he was not up to the task ay hand that day, He had a great time, as well as . I also brought another friend who is rather new to the AACA and the hobby, he could not believe what he saw that day in the quality of the cars and diversity of the vehicles, from mini bikes to a safari vehicle. He never understood why I seldom took my Biscayne out of "it's covered corner" now he does

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

On June 9, 2016 at 10:23 AM, John348 said:

I brought a friend of mine who has been fighting some health issues, thought it would be good to get him out and about. My fear was the sun on him. He did well! He actually started the AACA non Geo-graphic V-8 era Chevrolet Chapter. It is no-dues chapter with a great e-newsletter, it keeps him going. His goal was to go out and try to recruit new members but he was not up to the task ay hand that day, s

Hey John,

Would that be Russell H, by chance?  If so, he'd mentioned to me (& in the newsletter, I believe) he was going with a friend ... didn't realize it was you!  Cool beans.  I hadn't heard from him since this event, so I've been wondering how it went for him.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)

"Put off today what you can do tomorrow, sometimes you don't do the thing" __ Diamond Rio __ 'In A Week Or 2'

Guest Mark McAlpine

Marion and I offer our badly overdue, but well-deserved, kudos to the Susquehannock Region and the Pennsylvania College of Technology for a great Grand National Meet.  As everyone else has already said, the meet was well-organized, all the members of the region and staff of the college were very helpful and friendly.  The AACA directors, officers, and staff, and the judging teams and admin were equally well-organized (as usual).  All this was particularly impressive considering the number of vehicles and trailers.  All of the region's planning, preparation, and efforts paid off.  (And, of course, what a pleasure to see all the truly outstanding vehicles on the show field.)  Thank you for the great experience!

Edited by Mark McAlpine
Corrected misspelled word in first sentence (changed "over" to "offer"). (see edit history)