Hood shelf holders

carrfixr

I asked the question to the Model A judging group about the use of aftermarket hood holders in competition. I was told they were considered a safety item therefore all styles will be uniformly accepted with no deductions....  I had removed mine for the show hmmm

I think you did the right thing. I did the same thing back when I was showing a Model A Ford. While I think most judges and most team captains would allow it without deduction, it is not specifically listed in the judging guidelines as something that is allowed with no deduction. I don't really think that it is a safety item as much as a paint protection item. It makes it really easy for the judges and spectators to view your engine but someone could make the argument that it is a non-authentic accessory and deduct some points for it. 

Thanks for the response Matt and I agree about  paint protection, so maybe we'll say it's a safety item for the paint.  I failed to mention this was at the Grand National Saturday so they were allowing it there even those big bulky ones that bolt to the hood rods... Mine are those little flip brackets that bolts to one of the cowl / gas tank screws. Oh by the way I got the first place prize:)

if it was allowed there I would think It will be ok everywhere else...

if I go to KC next year I think I'll take them off for that.... Dang

Edited by Mitch's auto srvc ctr (see edit history)

On the same token, I would not deduct if the paint was chipped "a little" from a hood without such protection. I sell new Fords and have a good sense of what is expected "as delivered" and realize it's not perfect. It's the perspective I attempt to take to the field. Now if there is rust as the chips have been there a long time I'd take off. Being both a newer and younger at judging I know I have seen things I didn't think were quite right, conferred with my team, who weren't sure either, checked rules and asked for documentation. It was still questionable sometimes and in research after the show I realized the car was wrong, but I wouldn't take off points on a hunch like that. The lesson being, just because it's "okay" once doesn't make it a rule to count on!