Wheel interchange with full size models for 63

rodneybeauchamp

Can anyone advise if the wheels off the full size Buick models, Le Sabre, Invicta, Wildcat, Electra in 63 and 64 are identical to the oversize rims (6inch) used on my 63 Riviera?

One I have on the car now is one I got from a Buick enthusiast but he was unsure what it came from. It has stencilled on it "64 Buick" .

Have  an opportunity to collect another wheel but again, apart from being 6 inch with the large hub centre, unsure what Buick it is from.

Anyone cast any light on this?

Not sure what the interchange compatibility is with full size Buick's but one way you can determine if the wheel is originally from a 63 or 64 Riviera is that the wheels have 4 slots cut in them for the optional aluminum turbine wheel cover option. 

• Like 1

I think that the same center was used for a number of years.  I've removed clips for securing "dog dish" hub caps from wheels and what I wind up with is a wheel with the slots that were used to bolt the cast wheel covers on.  Make sure that you're measuring the wheel correctly.  Rim width is measured inside the mounting bead, not across the outside.  The Rivieras came with the 6" rims if they were fitted with the 'oversized tire option.'  If other models offered this same option, then they probably followed suit.  Wheels from a '65 Riviera have the same four slots in them, just the smaller center hole, with the lip on it. The pictures below show a 5-1/2" rim on the left , a '65 or later Buick (Riviera?) wheel in the center - smaller center hole with lip, as compared to the 64 and earlier wheel on the right - larger hole, no lip.

IMG_1993-crop.JPG

IMG_1994-crop.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

Hi guys,

from what I researched before my post was this.

The OEM part number 1356682 goes across all full size Buick in 63 and is also the part number listed for the oversized wheel/tyre option for 63 Riviera.

Don't have a listing for 64 OEM part numbers so unable to compare. A copy of the page from the 64 parts catalogue would help nail that one. ( can someone help with this?)

The rim that I have put on is definitely 6 inch (measures about 7 across the flanges)  and seems to match the dimensions of back set and front inset of the other three wheels that are on the Riviera.

It also has the slots for the screw on hub cap, so this might be the original full size Buick rim for several years until they changed to the smaller hub i( in 65 ????)

The bolt pattern would have been the same...5in bolt circle, little thing like noted for mounting a hub cap could change on certain models.  Often station wagon wheels were wider than the same one for a car.

Here is a link to a site that shows some information ........http://www.roadkillcustoms.com/hot-rods-rat-rods/Wheel-Bolt-Pattern-Cross-Reference-Database.asp?LugCount=5&StudSpreadInch=5&StudSpreadMM=#axzz4ATJXE1ZI

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

• 1 year later...

Interesting topic especially as I now have all 4 (+ spare) wheels of to change tires. It seems that I have 3x4 slots wheels, which seems to be correct for my -63, and 2x5 slots wheels (and extra holes in them).

Can anyone tell me what my 2x5 slots wheels are for and advice if I need to do something to change them?

file.jpeg

file1-1.jpeg

The wheels that have the extra 5 small holes around the bolt circle and the 5 slot/pin holes are from mid 50's era Buicks, the ones that used lug bolts rather than lug nuts.  The smaller holes were used to center the wheel so you could get a lug bolt started.  There was a locating pin on the brake drum that would protrude through the smaller hole.  The slot held a clip that was used to secure a poverty cap to the wheel.  The tiny hole was for a rivet to hold the clip in place.

Scroll back up and look at the pictures of the 63/64 wheel and the 65 wheel that I posted earlier.  Notice how the slot has been opened on those wheels? That's for the stud on the cast aluminum cover. Yours do not have the opened slot.  Other than being a wheel that will fit a Buick, I have no idea from which era they may have come,  I would assume sometime between the loss of the locating pin and the cast aluminum wheel cover in '63.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Attached is a picture taken of a page in my Buick parts book . This Buick parts book covers '40-'70 model years.

It shows the two different P/N for the 5.5" and the 6.0" width wheel. There is no listing for either part number usage after '64 .

Loren

Wheel- Buick Parts Book.jpg

Edited by Loren@65GS.com
add additional verbage to description (see edit history)

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

The wheels that have the extra 5 small holes around the bolt circle and the 5 slot/pin holes are from mid 50's era Buicks, the ones that used lug bolts rather than lug nuts.  The smaller holes were used to center the wheel so you could get a lug bolt started.  There was a locating pin on the brake drum that would protrude through the smaller hole.  The slot held a clip that was used to secure a poverty cap to the wheel.  The tiny hole was for a rivet to hold the clip in place.

Scroll back up and look at the pictures of the 63/64 wheel and the 65 wheel that I posted earlier.  Notice how the slot has been opened on those wheels? That's for the stud on the cast aluminum cover. Yours do not have the opened slot.  Other than being a wheel that will fit a Buick, I have no idea from which era they may have come,  I would assume sometime between the loss of the locating pin and the cast aluminum wheel cover in '63.

Ed,

thanks for the information.

I assume that it should be fine to continue to use the wheels as I really haven’t had an issue with them. Maybe I am best of to go with them using a pair for the front and another pair for the rear instead of how it was with 3x4 slots + 1x5 slots with the last 5 slot as the spare? I might measure the rim width too just in case.

It is funny what you start to find when you open up an old can...

9 hours ago, SwedeDownUnderR63 said:

Ed,

thanks for the information.

I assume that it should be fine to continue to use the wheels as I really haven’t had an issue with them. Maybe I am best of to go with them using a pair for the front and another pair for the rear instead of how it was with 3x4 slots + 1x5 slots with the last 5 slot as the spare? I might measure the rim width too just in case.

It is funny what you start to find when you open up an old can...

I think you're correct in running the wheels in pairs. One pair in front, another pair in back.  That way they'd match in width, offset, and back spacing. 

Same with tires.  I had a car that always pulled to the left. I had it aligned and nothing changed.  It was running on the tires I bought it with.  I didn't realize one tire was different.  Apparently the rolling resistance of the one tire was different. Matched the three that were the same and everything was good.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Life is fun. I got new tires today and measured the rims at the same time. I got 3x6 inch and 2x5.5 spread over the correct and none correct years.

going for 2x6” in the rear and 2x5.5” in the front. Someone must have had fun at one time....