1930 ply model 30U. Waterpump needed

dix40

My water pump was leaking. I took it apart and the impeller looks trashed. Need either a rebuild kit or a complete unit. Casting/part number in the book is 314706 but the 6 looks like an 8 on the unit.

Appreciate any help.

Richard 407 417 4882 

Guest DodgeKCL

You don't really need a water pump. That engine was in the '29 Model U in the previous year and didn't use a water pump. I think the reason it was included was to run the cabin heater which appeared for the 1st time in the '30U running off the engine cooling water. Prior to that they used a exhaust manifold heater with an outlet on the passenger's floor toe board. The '29's cooling system was called thermo/syphon. Unless you REALLY need your heater,I wouldn't worry about the condition of the impeller and just go with the flow. (pun intended) I'd just clean it up and put it back on. The Plymouth 4s and 6s didn't overheat. The first '33 didn't even have a temperature guage. It's always the off brands that are falling by the side of the road on hot parade days in the Summer. Personal observation.       

There are rebuilders out there who claim they can rebuild any automotive water pump. Arthur Gould Rebuilders is mentioned on this site from time to time but there are others that come up in Internet searches.

5 minutes ago, hwellens said:

Here is a parts listing that does not show a water pump:

IMG_20160531_0001.pdf

The FedCo numbers on the cover you posted are for the model U.

'28-'33 Master Parts List shows the 30-U "Water Pump Assembly" as part 314706. There were a lot of running changes in that era and I would not be surprised if the water pump and mechanical fuel pump were introduced during the production. Though the parts book usually has a note for things like that.

The main problem is not overheating but leaking. I took it apart and found the impeller damaged from rubbing on the housing. The pump was never touched in the "restoration". Tom at Then-now has extensive knowledge on this pld iron. He is sending me a new impeller w/shaft and the packing material. He can rebuild them but I have it all apart so it will be easy.

He earlier had the drag link ball and socket repair parts for my PA.

Good place to do business.