AACA Membership Survey?

John348

I had received an email yesterday titled "AACA Membership Survey"  it just did not look right, just something about it.If it were I feel I would have read that this was coming, but it is possible I missed it, It was from member@surveymonkey.com and the reply was to larco257@aol.com. Anyone else get this and is it legit?

I too received the survey email a few days ago. Given the amount of emails I see from people phishing for information or trying to take over one's computer I did not click on the link. While I have virus and malware software on my computer which has worked well, I still do not take chances with suspicious emails. A couple of days after I received the survey email I received the May AACA Speedster in which this survey was mentioned.

May I respectfully suggest that in the future such emails/surveys from the AACA  be timed to come out after it is mentioned in the AACA Speedster. That way, AACA members will know that such emails are officially sanctioned by AACA and can be trusted.

I received the same survey request via email.  I was also a bit suspicious of it, especially with the name of the source, "survey monkey", and deleted the email.  My rule is that if I'm uncertain of the pedigree or source of an email, I delete it without clicking on any enclosed links or "buttons".  It's nice that the May "Speedster" had an article about the survey; however, since it was a survey via electronic media (email) it would have been more appropriate if a notice had been posted via electronic media (this Forum, for example).

Just sayin',

Grog

23 minutes ago, charlier said:

I too received the survey email a few days ago. Given the amount of emails I see from people phishing for information or trying to take over one's computer I did not click on the link. While I have virus and malware software on my computer which has worked well, I still do not take chances with suspicious emails. A couple of days after I received the survey email I received the May AACA Speedster in which this survey was mentioned.

May I respectfully suggest that in the future such emails/surveys from the AACA  be timed to come out after it is mentioned in the AACA Speedster. That way, AACA members will know that such emails are officially sanctioned by AACA and can be trusted.

I agree the more ways the word gets spread the more responses the survey will get. I saved the email until I got a clarification and just completed it now.

If I recall correctly, it was mentioned by Steve Moskowitz previously in his column in Antique Automobile. It was previously published in The Rummage Box, and it had appeared in Speedster. I am sure I saw at least three notices to expect it so it was not a surprise when I saw it in my email. It is almost impossible to get the word out to 60,000 plus members perfectly.

capngrog, Speedster is an email newsletter:

SPEEDSTER is the Antique Autombile Club of America's monthly e-newsletter, containing various club items, member contributions and stories, antique auto trivia, and much more.

We want to hear from you! Send us your stories and photos. We are always looking for more articles about accounts of tours and shows you have attended, restoration projects, unique vehicle stories and history, and any other items you may want to share.

Send your stories to speedster@aaca.org

View our Speedster archive for past issues

If any of you are not receiving the Speedster emails you should sign up for them. Lots of good information comes in them each month.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MCHinson said:

capngrog, Speedster is an email newsletter:

Wow, I guess I've finally lost the handle.  I don't recall ever having received a "Speedster" email, nor do I recall any reference or mention of an AACA email newsletter. 

Dazed, Confused and Disoriented,

Grog

I just did a search of the AACA Website and found in the Forums section a "Speedster" Forum that is apparently "limited to discussion about pre-WWII speedsters".

Looking at the AACA Website Home Page, I found, under "Publications" a reference to "Speedster".  I clicked on the "Speedster" button and found that I could receive "Speedster" emails by going through yet another sign-up process.  If "Speedster" is, in fact, a product of the AACA, why is it necessary to sign up instead of automatically receiving the emails as a benefit of my membership in AACA?

Just wonderin',

Grog

3 hours ago, MCHinson said:

If I recall correctly, it was mentioned by Steve Moskowitz previously in his column in Antique Automobile. It was previously published in The Rummage Box, and it had appeared in Speedster. I am sure I saw at least three notices to expect it so it was not a surprise when I saw it in my email. It is almost impossible to get the word out to 60,000 plus members perfectly.

Very true Matt, I must have missed it like I mentioned, I always read Steve's column also. To be honest I noticed when the weather breaks I am not as thorough with my reading, again my fault. As you mentioned it is almost impossible to get the word out, and I am sure out of the 60,000 there are at least 5-7,000 who do not receive e-mail. I did find myself when doing a similar activity a longer time of announcement prior to the survey helps getting the word out that it is coming. I am a member in three regions and still no mention there, either verbally or in the newsletter. I do consider myself a rather active member, and interact with many other members who do not participate here and none of them knew of this survey, so it can't be all of us. Those people I spoke too, speak with other members, so the word really did not get out.  Even here, on this forum several members other then myself had no idea that this survey was happening, so it is evident that there was some sort of a communication problem about the circulation of the survey. I don't deny it was out there, but maybe not in the right places.  

Edited by John348
correction (see edit history)

Speedster was designed as an optional communications tool.  That's why it was developed as a sign-up item.  Agree that my email can overwhelm us these days.  My in box fills up quickly, and my phone keeps beeping when I get a new one, but when AACA Speedster pops up I stop and read.  It's a fun newsletter with lots of great into in it.  I highly recommend signing up.  There is always an "unsubscribe" link on every one of them so you can cancel anytime you want to.  One thing in the latest issue that i'm glad to see is an open call for ideas for new seminars at the annual meeting. It's things like that we can use to keep the club alive and thriving.

The HQ Staff does a fantastic job putting it together and getting it out.  You'll enjoy it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, capngrog said:

Wow, I guess I've finally lost the handle.  I don't recall ever having received a "Speedster" email, nor do I recall any reference or mention of an AACA email newsletter. 

Dazed, Confused and Disoriented,

Grog

It is optional, as Terry Bond has already mentioned. I suggest you sign up for it. I think you will enjoy it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John348 said:

Even here, on this forum several members other then myself had no idea that this survey was happening, so it is evident that there was some sort of a communication problem about the circulation of the survey. I don't deny it was out there, but maybe not in the right places.  

I agree that it would be better to get more notice in Antique Automobile and probably a couple of issues of Speedster, but I think that the desire to get the survey out there quickly probably overcame the desire to put out multiple notices. I was not surprised when I got the survey, and I routinely participate in Survey Monkey surveys from multiple sources, so the source appeared legitimate to me. It might have been better if they had used Steve Moskowtiz's email address instead of Lars Anderson's email address as that would have been more likely to be recognized by AACA members. I recognized Lar's email address but the average AACA member probably would not.

I am very focused on the Forum but most AACA Members are not. I always read Antique Automobile, Speedster, and the Rummage Box, closely so I find that I am pretty well informed about AACA activities. It would have been nice to have it advertised here on the forum before the email went out but I think that the forum sometime gets neglected as a communication medium for AACA, but that is probably understandable with the relatively small number of AACA members who are active participants. I did suggest more focus on the Forum when I filled out my survey.

My church recently did a similar survey. When I ignored the survey for a week or so, I got an automated email reminder. Hopefully the AACA survey will also have some reminders set up in that manner. 

I get the Speedster and enjoy the quick read each month :)  Thanks for sending it!

I also got the Membership Survey and to me, it looked exactly as it should coming from the AACA - Filled it in and sent it off :)

Back in my working (for pay) days, we used Survey Monkey all the time. All kinds of professional groups use it to gather data. So for future reference, it is safe -even with the funky name.

And I, too, love The Speedster. It is a great way to keep informed about AACA events.

John348, You did not know, so you asked. That's always the best course of action!?

8 hours ago, MCHinson said:

It might have been better if they had used Steve Moskowtiz's email address instead of Lars Anderson's email address as that would have been more likely to be recognized by AACA members. I recognized Lar's email address but the average AACA member probably would not.

Sadly, this is to what I fell victim.  I had remembered reading about the upcoming survey, but when I received it, it landed in my spam folder.  When I saw what I now know to be Lar's Email, I didn't recognize it as being connected to AACA ... &, since the Email landed in my spam folder anyway, I deleted it.  I should've dug a bit deeper to see if it was the survey from AACA.  My apologies for not doing so.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)

"The silence is louder than thunder" __ Crystal Gayle __ 'Sound Of Goodbye'

• 3 weeks later...

Survey monkey is a great way to get a pulse of your organization.  It does have a feature that it will try and reach out to the membership a few times as sometimes people need a reminder.  I've never heard of one of their surveys being hacked so I took it on my I phone while I was waiting on someone this morning.  My church uses them a lot.  Normally people that don't pay attention to the news letter or come to church don't know what's going on anyhow and just ignore the survey monkey link too. 

Honestly I was kind of surprised by AACA using something so modern.  Now if they would just let us sign up for events on line, with credit cards or paypal for payment.  Anything I can do to keep from paying the post office 50 freakin cents to mail a letter I'm up for. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gruberv8 said:

...Anything I can do to keep from paying the post office 50 freakin' cents to mail a letter, I'm up for. 

Good point, Mr. Gruber.

But at least the post-office letter rate went DOWN from 49 cents to 47 cents

a couple of months ago.  Many people may not have realized this unusual occurrence!