Midtown Austin Texas

I promised Mr. Earl I would post some pics and commentary on my garage. Some of you know that I work on other people's cars here. I am far from "making a living" at it, but I have had some great projects come through.

I was fortunate to have bought a house in north central Austin with this garage already built. It was set up with a 12' cinder block wall "base" with a 16' Quonset hut on top of that. It was wide open when I bought it 11 years ago. Over the years, my needs have changed. My cars have changed. The garage has evolved. 

The previous owner was an electrical engineer who did art projects, so being wide open was good for him. Of course, an electrical engineer installed a 200 amp service with numerous outlets as well as several 220 volt "drops". My current set up uses a 220v two-post lift and a Lowes 220v 80 gallon compressor. I have two other four post lifts. One is used mostly for storing cars and the other is used when a four post lift is the better choice for working. The slab is roughly 60' deep by 40' wide. The inside is 30' wide. Outside is a covered patio where I can work, store stuff and chill by a fire pit while I grille something tasty. 

The first incarnation had a wall across the back which was kinda "clean side, dirty side". Let's be honest. A working garage ain't nothin' but dirty, so the wall got abbreviated to about 12' across. This gave me storage on both sides of the wall and held the sink area.  It also hid a room I built which I use to store finished parts and play drums to blow off steam. Almost every inch of wall space has cabinets, shelves or benches built in. I worked with wood forever so my benches are mostly 2x4 with 3/4" plywood. Cheap to build and super sturdy. Technically, I guess they could burn which is why "real" shops use metal. 

The glass cabinets are surplus from a hospital. They keep some humidity and silverfish from affecting books and NOS parts. Workbenches are all made with two layers of 3/4" plywood. You can really beat the crap out of a part before the plywood cares. :)

I will post some pics and maybe more commentary as I think of it. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 7

Oh man what a dream shop!!! What a pleasure it must be to have all that room and tools to work with. Love the layout and storage and cabinets and all. Where did you score those glass door cabinets, I want them!!! What's the white thing next to the grill, looks like an ice cream freezer? if so,  bet it is full of "ice cream".

Thanks for the inspiration, I need to finish up pulling and selling parts, trade my wrench for a hammer and get back to work on mine. Let me know when I can come after those glass cabinets. I'd rather get them with your knowledge. :D

Thanks for sharing Mikey, worth the wait.

Your air cleaner went out yesterday by the way. Would look good pinstriped and on the wall til you find a carb for it to rest on. ;)

• Like 2

The guy who owned this place left some cool stuff behind. One of which was four glass cabinets that were purchased at an auction. They have stickers that say "Property of Institute for Immunological Disorders". Other medical terms are stickered on the windows and shelves. 

Above the entry door is what remains of a submarine radio or sonar. It was two five foot tall thick aluminum cabinets bolted together and I got tired of relocating them around the shop every time I reorganized. I kept the cool bits and screwed them into the studs above the door.

I cropped my postcard of Bettie Page on the glass cabinet so I didn't offend anybody who hates awesome racks.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

On May 28, 2016 at 3:25 PM, buick5563 said:

The big white rolling cab is a "swamp cooler". It blows a fan cooled by water dripping down the intake screens. 

How well do those things work? Do you have any actual AC. How do you heat the place, especially with those high ceilings?

I didn't initially think the swamp cooler would work in our humidity, but if it is blowing directly on you, it does cool you down. You can either fill the bottom with water, or hook a hose up. I mostly use it while lounging outside after work with beverage in hand.

The other thing I have is a 60" exhaust fan that is installed above the cinder blocks (so 12' high). It is so powerful that you have to have a door open or it sucks the garage door in. It is an industrial 220v fan with louvres that open when blowing. 

No AC. It would cost a fortune to condition nearly 2,000 sq ft. with no insulation and a 28' ceiling.  It has hit 125 degrees in the garage with the doors closed.

I just use small space heaters in the winter and space them out so they warm "near me". The disadvantage to this much concrete is that it keeps whatever temp the garage WAS yesterday, so if it stays in the 30's or 40's for a few days, it does get cold in the garage. Maybe not Thriller or Syrdal cold, but Mikey wears a sweatshirt at 79 degrees.

• Like 5

On June 1, 2016 at 6:42 AM, MrEarl said:

Those glass cabinets would never survive in my garage though, not with how often things go flying and all.

I like that nuts and bolts bin.

Not sure how I missed this post. That parts bin is actually two sides and rolls. I have done everything to try and actually take advantage of that, but in the end I just parked it against a wall and only use one side.

35 minutes ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Those shelves are in perfect order....starting at the top:

Midday:  Caffeine to keep you going

Evening:  Beer to relax

Next morning :  Water for the hangover.

But where's the coffee pot?

Inside the house. I had a small one in the garage, but then I had to clean it and keep coffee and filters, etc. 

Decided to give it to Goodwill with the old microwave I had. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, wndsofchng06 said:

Those shelves are in perfect order....starting at the top:

Midday:  Caffeine to keep you going

Evening:  Beer to relax

Next morning :  Water for the hangover.

But where's the coffee pot?

I see you've got Mike pegged, you didn't list morning, no need to, for Mikey 

:D

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...