Not what I like to look at

I had AAA and I hit a coyote down in Texas.  I was in the middle of the country on a 4 lane major highway between Houston and Austin.

They told me they couldn't send a tow truck to that location.They no longer get my money.

I have Hagerty for my old cars and didn't even think about using them till after I was done.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 2:59 AM, Bill Stoneberg said:

I had AAA and I hit a coyote down in Texas.  I was in the middle of the country on a 4 lane major highway between Houston and Austin.

They told me they couldn't send a tow truck to that location.They no longer get my money.

I have Hagerty for my old cars and didn't even think about using them till after I was done.

Sounds like they had no AAA-affiliated towing service in that region.  Perhaps an OnStar (rear view mirror) kit might have worked better?  But still, as widely-available as AAA is, I would have suspected they could have arranged for "something", even if it cost extra.

NTX5467

5 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

Sounds like they had no AAA-affiliated towing service in that region.  Perhaps an OnStar (rear view mirror) kit might have worked better?  But still, as widely-available as AAA is, I would have suspected they could have arranged for "something", even if it cost extra.

NTX5467

AAA will reimburse up to the coverage limit, but it take lots of research to find that information and then you have to send in (snail mail) all the original paperwork.  They have disappointed every time I call.  With a smart phone  you can find your own towing service that will respond in 10 minutes vs 45 minutes+ for AAA.

When Ed and I broke down in Battle Mtn NV, in Ed's car, not mine,  on the way to Portland OR, it is true, they took 45 mins to get a flat bed tow truck.  Then they towed us 200 miles to Reno NV, took us to the airport to rent a car, took us to the drop point for the car to be looked at, but not feeling confident at 2 am with the  side street location and no access to the locked gate to the yard, then they took us to the hotel where we booked a last minute room.  In addition they paid for the rental car to get to Portland, OR, and the emergency hotel overnight stay in Reno, and would have paid for the room we cancelled in Susanville CA, except the Susanville hotel did not charge us for the late cancellation.

I think it was worth the 45 minute wait, and the postage stamp to send in the receipts.  But whatever works best for folks then that's what you should have. The point is to get it off the road if it can't be fixed in a few minutes on the side of the road.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

No update on the car since Wednesday?

Be sure it comes back looking like this:

130.jpg

Bernie

(With a rear axle housing that's shiny enough to see the photographer's reflection in???  A heavily undercoated gas tank??  A brake fluid "trail" on the inside of the lh rr tire?!??)  At first, I thought that Bill had visited a barber shop . . .

Edited by NTX5467 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

There's a chip in the paint on the inside edge of the driver's door just below the vent window. I was lucky a guy pointed it out to me.

Imron comes out shiny like that.

Original sound deadener, cleaned and recoated. Poor performing salesman  did that to cover their weekly draw in the '60's. I removed it all from my Riviera when I painted the bottom and it is noisier. Too much work and a negative gain.

Bled the brakes. I'm sure most guys replace the lines. That rubber one at the front of the torque tube is hard to find, but at 55 years old it's hard to believe anyone would leave it there.

That's Scott. I think Scott has longer arms. Well, they look longer anyway.

You missed the NOS muffler. I threw away most of the system that W company made. Notice the ball socket clamps are cheaply made. Bless their little hearts. I know they did the best they could.

Oh well, it's just a white four door. And part of a trust if I don't donate it to some little known museum.

Bernie

On May 28, 2016 at 5:25 AM, NTX5467 said:

Perhaps an OnStar (rear view mirror) kit might have worked better? 

OnStar only works with GM vehicles I assume ?  I hit that damn Coyote in my Nissan.

Bernie,  We have been having fun getting the A/C charged and working the past few working days. Wednesay I took some "Special" o-rings for the back of the compressor up to the shop as the green ones did not fit properly. They were stuck on the plate that came off after rebuilding. I just missed them when I put the hoses on and put the green ones in. 

Thursday got a call about issues with the hot dos valve. Put the mechanic in touch with the Classic Air and have not heard back from them.  Still haven't got to the howling cat noise, but all has to be fixed.

Your car looks nice underneath. 

BTW  When I visit a barber shop, it will be back to a crew cut agin. That time is coming the hotter it gets.

The "aftermarket" OnStar is a "new rear view mirror" which has the original functions in it, but not the later stuff that's tied into the BCM as on newer factory-equipped vehicles.  Best Buy was selling them for a while.

Adjust the hot gas bypass valve about 1/4-1/2 turn ccw and it'll work with R-134a gas.  This should lower the evaporator pressure from 29.5" Hg to 26" Hg and result in about 40 degree outlet temps with the same balance between high and low side pressures as R-12 had.  Have to change the oil in the system, too, but I think most of the current oils are compatible with all gasses.  All tech information will claim they are "non-adjustable", BUT there had to be a way to adjust and calibrate them on their production line, with makes them "adjustable" if you know where the adjustment is.  I found this on a thread on the old www.ackits.com website.  I'll see if I can find that thread . . . I sent 5563 the file of the thread a good while back, for his information.  No need to change to the allegedly-needed cycling system!!

The original o-ring pair for the rear of the A-6 compressor had a round cross-section.  This was superceded to O-rings with a more oval cross-section in the 1990s or so.  Same diameter and such, just more "crush" material in them.

Just presumed the conversion was "on the horizon" considering the mention of "Vintage Air".  In the meantime . . . I found the earlier thread I referenced and now have it in a Word file (again, on my current laptop).  Plus another thread about converting a 1960 Cadillac from the hot gas bypass to something more modern.

NTX5467

I have a 30 pounder of R12 for my cars as well and a jug of 134a for the modern stuff. The specific heat per pound of 12 is about 15% higher than 134a. If you look at a 1950's refrigeration textbook you will see that almost all the chemicals and blends were available then. R12 was chosen because it had all of the best characteristics. The price has changed. The 30 pound jug that used to be 30 bucks is now 30 bucks a pound. Most charges are 2 to 3 pounds. I'll use the best choice. If I lose more than a pound a year I need a repair.

I don't have AC on my '60. I did have a '62 and it had a flooded evaporator. You might want to confirm that it really is a hot gas bypass valve and not an EPR (evaporator pressure regulator).

Bernie