front brake drums

sherwood3333

Kanter

CARS

I'd get you a link to Classic Buicks, but their website seems to be down.

For what it's worth, I've heard that all of the distributors get their drums from the same manufacturer, but their warranties are different. I've also heard drums being out of round a few thousandths out of the box and have to be turned. I've only bought drums for the rear of my 56 since I mistakenly went to discs on the front, but I haven't had issues with them at all. They're from Kanter.

Ordering from a supplier will be faster than trying to locate a NOS or used set but the older stuff was made differently from the newer stuff.

IF the drums were stocked vertically, rather than horizontally, or might have been dropped in their vertical plane, then it's entirely possible that the drums could be a few thousandths out of round.  All this will do is cause a slight pulsation when stopping.

When we put 11x2" rear brakes on my '77 Camaro, there was a light brake pulsation when stopping.  I drove the car enough to get several hot/cold cycles on the drums, THEN had then turned.  No more issues after that.  It can make the initial brake adjustment a little tricky, as well as the parking brake adjustment.  But nothing which is not terribly major.

All things considered, it's IS highly possible and probable that everybody re-sells drums from the same source.  If you buy enough of them, the manufacturer will put the re-sellers' packaging around them.  In looking at some of the brake manufacturer web sites, you kind of have to read between the lines to find what you want.  Just because one re-seller might re-use another manufacturer's numeric part number does NOT necessarily mean it's the same part from different re-sellers, although there are "industry part numbers" for many brake parts.  If the brake parts are like other things, the re-seller probably does not have the items in their physical inventory, getting the items drop-shipped from the item's manufacturer/vendor directly.

As Beemon mentioned, check their pricing AND (as 5563 mentioned long ago) the RETURN policy!

NTX5467

You will not be able to buy any new drums with the hub assembly attached, just FYI. You will need to grind off or drill out the rivets that hold the drum to the hub and then remove and discard the old drum. Just substitute grade 8 bolts for the rivets.

• Like 1

Size and thread for the lug bolts? Or rivets? I drilled some rivets out on a 65 Riviera front hub to get the aluminum drums off with a 1/4 drill bit. Since they're not threaded, I suppose you could just put 1/4 bolts through the holes. The rivets are really just there to center the drum on the hub assembly so they don't move around and someone else can correct me if I'm wrong, but they aren't required for vehicle operation.

NAPA stocks the lug bolt if that's what you're inquiring about.

beemon    was right!!!, grind off rivets, drive out with punch, hub falls out, replace rivets with 1 1/2"  5/16 grade 8 bolts and nuts to new drums, put back on car , readjust brakes.  it took me about 1 1/2 hrs. to do the job :)   thanks everyone for your comments,  this is a great forum !!!!

• Like 1

Personally, I do not think it is necessary to replace those rivets with anything. If the 5 lug bolts do not hold the drum to the hub, then there are some very major problems.

• Like 2

The only reason I suggested the bolts is because they're used to locate the drum to the hub. Modern cars with lug studs don't rivet the drums to the hub anymore because the studs help locate the drum. And piece of mind. I've heard you don't need them either, but that was from the HAMB and they do things differently over there.

On the vehicles with lug studs, it was common for the factory to use push-on metal retainers on one lug stud/wheel to keep the brake drum positioned firmly against the hub flange so that the wheels could be easily installed without worrying about if the drum was on "tight enough"  . . . on the assembly line.  At the first time the drums were removed from the vehicle, or the tires rotated the first time, those push-on metal retainers were usually removed and discarded.  The rivets to the center hub would basically serve the same purpose, on the assembly line or anywhere else.  All about "build quality" on the assembly line.  Plus, a rivet (on the assembly line) takes the "human element" out of the equation as a rivet is either visibly "right" or "not right" . . . another factor for ease of assembly/quality control at the time of vehicle assembly.

Take care,

NTX5467

On 5/27/2016 at 6:20 PM, sherwood3333 said:

beemon    was right!!!, grind off rivets, drive out with punch, hub falls out, replace rivets with 1 1/2"  5/16 grade 8 bolts and nuts to new drums, put back on car , readjust brakes.  it took me about 1 1/2 hrs. to do the job :)   thanks everyone for your comments,  this is a great forum !!!!

Where did you find the front drums that you used as replacements after you succeeded in removing the hub from the drum?  Can you post some pictures of the finished work?  I wrestled with this same problem during my 49 Super restoration and you grabbed my curiosity with this post.  Thanks.

2 hours ago, 49_buick_super said:

Where did you find the front drums that you used as replacements after you succeeded in removing the hub from the drum?  Can you post some pictures of the finished work?  I wrestled with this same problem during my 49 Super restoration and you grabbed my curiosity with this post.  Thanks.

Please refer to post #2