61 plymouth fury heater hose orientation

Guest fury61

Guest fury61

Hi All,  Got a 1961 Plymouth Fury 6 cylinder non/ac last year.  I think the heater hoses are going to wrong places but my service manuals don't show a diagram.  Anyone out there that could help me would be much appreciated!!

I always think about the radiator, up thru the engine and down thru the radiator.

Your car may have the valve off to the passenger side and takes more hoses. I don't think it would make any difference on the valve.

There's the way it was done and there's the way it should be.  In a perfect world they would be the same.  I don't know how they did it or if there were factory procedures, but I can tell you how a heat transfer guy would.  The heater and valve will work either way.  The most efficient is to have a counter flow heat exchanger where the incoming air hits the out going water first.  You know which way the air is flowing.  Connected the hoses so the hot to cold water flows the other way.  If the heater core is just one stack, then put the hot in the top and the cold out on the bottom.

Water flow goes from the top of the engine, near the upper rad hose, to the lower heater connection, and from the upper heater connection, to the return on or near the water pump. This is general for any motor. Slant sixes had a bracket and a metal strap on top of the valve cover that the hoses ran through.

17 hours ago, Willie Wurke said:

An automotive water heater is another thermo siphon device. Hot water naturally goes up so put it in at the lower connection ,always.

That makes sense.