Wrong Freeze/Expansion plugs

padgett

I need a set of brass freeze/expansion plugs for my '90. It is not the Dorman - Autograde 565-019 from Amazon (got 10 too small plugs). Does anyone have a mfr/part number for a set of plugs for a '90 3800 ?

Also is there a tool that can replace the big ones on the side facing the transmission without pulling the engine or trans (maybe taking rad out and engine loose and swinging a bit...)

Padgett,

Good news / bad news.

Yes, I have the #'s & prices I paid about three years ago. / Being that it's been nearly three years ago, I would have to dig into the way-back machine to find them. I won't have time to do so until Wed. or Thurs. at the earliest. I used a Mom & Pop parts shop here in town to get them. They have a guy named Dan that can find all sorts of obscure items. Dan is the go-to guy for such things. Here's a clip from their web site...

Lincolnway Auto Supply, Valparaiso, IN. have assembled a team of highly experienced experts to provide our customers with the best possible service. Here, we introduce our team.

Dan Allen: Dan is vastly experienced in the auto parts industry, with more than 40 years experience in this area, and is an expert in tracking down those difficult to find parts. Dan is the manager of the Lincolnway Auto Supply Valparaiso, IN store.

They have to sometimes order certain items but that usually only takes a day. I'm guessing they could take an order from you and ship them down to Orlando. Or, I could (buy) pick them up and mail them down your way. and you reimburse me. Let me know what you decide.

As far as replacing the plugs at the rear without pulling the engine...  you would be working outside the envelope and probably have to come up with a course of action of you own design.. Good Luck.

John F.

I used a Sealed Power (Federal Mogul) set from Rock Auto #381-8073. I did not use the entire set as the engine I was working on had already been partially converted to brass and it also includes all the screw in oil passage plugs plus steel cam tunnel plug. I couldn't find my record of what I paid for it :(

I imagine the plugs you want to replace are on the right side of the engine which faces toward the rear of the car? I don't know of a method to replace and the most common seems to be the rubber expansion plugs. You may be in ground breaking mode. 

Just checked Rock Auto. $16 for the freeze plugs is OK, $11 minimum for ground shipping & extra profit is not. Buy quite a bit from Rock Auto but this is redonculous.

Ordered from Summit: $8.99 for plug set $5.95 for ground S&H (no rush) $14.94 delivered.

Padgett, will be watching this and hoping you post on how you did it. I need to replace the plugs on my scrub 88, a couple are starting to weep a bit. Hoping there is a solution short of pulling the engine so will see how you fare. Will also buy the set you picked up, that is a good deal IMO.

Glad you found what you needed. I purchased mine along with some other parts but I know what you mean about shipping being out of line on some things, and it isn't just Rock Auto. I have taken issue with them on occasion about the lack of options for the shipping but to what effect? It does pay to shop around