Cardboard number tag front of '54 Ford 239

Frantz

Was working on my '54 and found this tag still stick in a bolt (the half hole on side). I'm guessing it's from an old visit to a machine/trans shop to keep the motor linked to a repair order, but that's just a guess. The air cleaner does show it was once at least in a transmission shop for a rebuild. Does that sound right, or is it something more significant that should be preserved?

IMG_20160519_191519.jpg

On the front of the 239 OHV there is a stabilizer brace. It was bolted to the top left bolt of that brace to the the timing cover. It looks like you are supposed to put the bolt through that hole, but someone just stuck the corner in the bolt and tighten it down.

I found a similar tag bolted to the front of the engine in a 1960 T-Bird I purchased with 17,000 original miles. I believe it was an engine ID tag as it was painted black, same as the engine. Over the years I have come across a few other T-Bird owners who had found the same type of tag. I would definitely save it. Interesting find!

Engine ID Tag.JPG

• Like 1

Very cool indeed! Mine does not appear like it was ever painted, but it's a few years older too. Interesting what I assumed was a worn out notch seems to be in about the same spot on yours. The only number we can compare on is the "2" found on both yours and mine, looking like a different punch was used, but again... 6 years difference. Your 2 almost looks hand cut up top. Speculating here... does it appear as though maybe it didn't punch all the way through on yours and someone cut out the rest? I can almost imagine some lines that more closely look like the "2" on my tag. Perhaps a worn out punch?

My car was assembled at Chester Pa, I wonder if it was part of shipping the motors to various assembly plants.

Edited by Frantz (see edit history)