Headlight refurbishment/modification

So having had to reseal one lens already and I'm going to have to do another it is very evident that the stock reflectors are beginning to oxidize and not do their job anymore on a lot of our cars. I have researched quite a bit on what can be done about this, and thus far I have found *nothing* that can be done by a hobbyist at home. There are no paints that can adequately reflect light for a headlight application. For reflectors, marker lights, tail lights, etc....sure. NOT for headlights.

The way it is done from the factory is vaporized aluminum deposition in a vacuum chamber. I have seen a few home made solutions for this, but even being an engineer I don't know that I would build something like that for home use on that large of a scale (for R/C cars or models...that kind of thing, no problem, but this chamber would be orders of magnitude larger).

I have been eyeballing the front of my car since I saw this problem and have been trying to come up with different solutions.

#1: does anyone know of a place that does headlight restoration, specifically for the reflector lens?

#2: has anyone successfully pulled off a restoration at home? If so, car to share?

#3: has anyone done any significant modification to the headlight, such as making them accept a projector housing?

I also know about an aerospace product that *if* it could be applied to the reflector without wrinkling and it could withstand the heat, would absolutely solve the issue. I'm going to look more into it and possibly try it. If it works, I'll be sure to "tell the world"!

• 1 month later...

AlBriCo  805-482-9792  AL Schioppi    PO box 3179   Camarillo, CA  93011.   Hope they are still in business.  They did mine several years ago at a reasonable price.  They polish the brass to a mirror finish, coat with a liquid aluminum, seal it with glass. No more tarnish and the lights are bright, no problem with night driving.    Let me know how you make out.  timandjuliawolfe1@roadrunner.com

Tim, I could be wrong, but I swear that my housings are plastic, not brass. If you mean they electroplate the plastic with brass (or some other method), then do the aluminum coating, that makes sense.

I will contact them and see what they say.

Marty, thanks! I might actually pick one up to match the brand spanking new RH one I have been saving. Suffice it to say I got a REALLY good deal on it (<$300)

What I'm after also is the lens protectors. I know that years ago a person could buy custom lens protectors for the TC headlights. I REALLY need some out here! Stupid rock trucks everywhere and I *just* got a rock hole in my newly refurbished RH lens before my trip! (ARRGGHH!!!)

OK. Well, I guess I'm back to my original plan. I am going to try to find some mobile device screen protectors that I can modify to fit. I figure if they are designed to protect a sensitive touch screen from being dropped, scratched, etc, they should be able to protect my headlight lens. Once I do this I'll document it and show hoe I did it. It should at least be better than the clear packing tape I'm using now...which to my surprise has been holding up quite well! LOL