1940-41 Continental's versus 1942-1948 Continental's

Guest straight shooter

Guest straight shooter

I have always loved and preferred the front end styling of the 40/41 Continental's versus the later 42-48 Continental's. In my opinion they have a cleaner, simpler, and less heavy looking design. It terms of collectability are the 40-41 more desirable? Do they command higher prices and are considered better investments? What are your thoughts?    

Edited by straight shooter (see edit history)

•      There were only 400 Continental Cabriolets produced in 1941, many of which have been "Over-Restored" (Trailer Queens) or "hot-rodded" to increase performance, making an ORIGINAL car VERY rare!
      1941 Lincolns are UNIQUE cars.
1.     In 1941, Ford strengthened the chassis and running gear while retaining the pre-war styling, thus making the 1941 Lincoln the "best of both worlds".
2.     Tread width is wider.
3.     16x5 inch wheels are 1941 ONLY, making them a favorite of wheel of Hot-Rodders.
4.      Front brake backing plates have no offset, making 1941 front brake drums unique.
5.     1941 was the last year for the Columbia 2-speed overdrive axle and the first year for the Borg-Warner transmission overdrive. 1941 Lincolns could be ordered with EITHER (or BOTH) overdrive options.
6.     1941 Convertible tops are operated electrically. 1940 tops are operated by vacuum. 1942 and post-war are hydraulic.
       (And I just happen to have one for sale!)

IMHO NO antique or collector car is a good investment. They are a lot of fun to own and drive and some of them do appreciate in value faster than inflation or repair costs, but a better investment is an annuity where the selling agent gets 30% commission.

You say that you like the 40 / 41 Continentals better than the 42 - 48 models, buy what you like. If you don't like the car that you bought, you will never be happy with it.

Buy he best car that you can afford, take good care of it and you will have an enjoyable hobby.

On 5/20/2016 at 9:47 AM, 19tom40 said:

IMHO NO antique or collector car is a good investment. They are a lot of fun to own and drive and some of them do appreciate in value faster than inflation or repair costs, but a better investment is an annuity where the selling agent gets 30% commission.

You say that you like the 40 / 41 Continentals better than the 42 - 48 models, buy what you like. If you don't like the car that you bought, you will never be happy with it.

Buy he best car that you can afford, take good care of it and you will have an enjoyable hobby.

• I can't get rid of this file!

I don't recall stating any preference between the pre  and post-war Lincolns.

I posted that information as a description of the differences between the 1940 and 1941 Lincoln Continentals!

As a matter of fact, my wife and I have owned a 1947 Continental since around 1967! 

It has an "updated" driveline with a 1957 LINCOLN V8 engine and an automatic transmission which we drove from Los Angeles to Vermont for the 1970 LCOC meet at Mt. Snow, VT.  (Got the longest distance award, but never received it because of the adulterated driveline! Still Lincoln, but not a V-12!)

We then drove to the Western LCOC meet at Yosemite Park in California the same year. We had the ONLY Lincoln to attend BOTH LCOC meets in 1970.

I subsequently drove that '47 Lincoln as my daily driver for several more years, including many trips between Los Angeles and Phoenix and we still own that car!

Check out my earlier posts for more photos and descriptions.

Phil Knapp - LZOC #539

No problem!

Sorry I mis-understood your response.

I totally agree with your statement:

"buy what you like. If you don't like the car that you bought, you will never be happy with it".

(I must have liked what I bought - it's been over 50 years ago!)

This is highly subjective, but my review of material available on Lincoln history has the 41 as a project of Edsel Ford, and the front end is both restrained and elegant with the thin waterfall bars.  The 42-48's received a more garish and heavily chromed grill to compete with the Cadillac egg crate grills. But it can't be bad since I am the proud owner of a 48 as well. 

However, I have pondered how to update, but not degrade the character of the car.  Perhaps if the horizontal bars in the lower grill were pained out black, making the vertical bars stand out.  Or if the grill surround were painted body color.  Wonder if a set of Corvette teeth would fit in the lower grill space, or if that would violate the sanctity of Lincoln design?  Might not then have to pay so much for re-chroming.

Abe

Guest Grayson87

For me it's 40-41 more, but actually I am a big fan of Lincoln so I don't think the other one is worse. By the way I've read today on repokar com that Lincoln Continental is one of the 25 most expected cars.