Convertible Rear Window Glass

Guest Kingsley

Guest Kingsley

I have a customer who maintains a group of six  Reattas. He writes, and  I quote "We have a Reatta that has the back window coming away from the top. What do you recommend to use to stick it back to the top.  Double sided tape?  Adhesive?"  The top is vinyl.

This situation has been discussed on the Forum in length some time ago and we would like some feedback for this fellow.

Thanks.

Kingsley

Reatta Specialty Parts

Edited by Kingsley
Add info (see edit history)

Hi Kingsley !

I had the same condition when I bought my 91 roadster years ago.  A new top was installed about a year previous to my purchase, and the window was separating from the top at the top of the window/glass.  I contacted a good top shop, and they sent a fellow out with some sort of good adhesive and a roll of tape.  He applied the glue and taped it to hold tight, and advised me to remove the tape after 24 hours.  I am sorry but I did not inquire about the type of adhesive as I didn't think I would have to deal with the same situation again.  Call or stop by a good top or upholstery shop in your area and ask for guidance (name of the appropriate adhesive).  Oh, it has been probably 8 years since the glue application and no worries as all.

Nic

The fix Nic speaks of works if the top isn't shrunk. If it has shrunk to any appreciable degree, it is probably a lost cause. May help to loosen and adjust the 4th bow inward to get some slack before doing this. I seem to recall someone here previously using a marine epoxy of some type to do this repair. Cannot remember who or when, so hard pressed to come up with anything more specific. When I got my 'vert the original top was badly shrunk and there simply wasn't enough material at the margins to glue the window back in. I replaced the top as it was shot anyway. For those with a newer top having glass seperation, I can certainly see reparing it, these tops aren't cheap.