1989 Reatta Electrical Issues

Guest vToniic

Guest vToniic

Hey, everyone.

I just purchased a 1989 Reatta yesterday for cheap and I could not be more excited. The car runs and drives fine to this point, barring a few things I know will need to be fixed along the way mechanically. My biggest issues at this point involve the electrical components in the dash.

The behind the wheel digital display is completely non-functioning at this point, which is definitely troublesome as I can't see my fuel gauge or my speed. There is also an issue with the touch screen display in the center of the dash. I have to push in inward to get the screen to show anything. Once I apply pressure to it however, the screen works just fine. 

I will admit that I haven't had the car long enough to explore these issues myself, nor am I especially mechanically inclined, but I figured with a community like this one behind the Reatta, I couldn't go wrong by asking about the issues here. Any kind of help would be appreciated greatly. 

Guest vToniic

Also, I should note that the radio display also says that my fuel level is very low, even though I just put $20 in the gas tank. Must be a sensor issue?

4 hours ago, vToniic said:

Hey, everyone.

I just purchased a 1989 Reatta yesterday for cheap and I could not be more excited. The car runs and drives fine to this point, barring a few things I know will need to be fixed along the way mechanically. My biggest issues at this point involve the electrical components in the dash.

The behind the wheel digital display is completely non-functioning at this point, which is definitely troublesome as I can't see my fuel gauge or my speed. There is also an issue with the touch screen display in the center of the dash. I have to push in inward to get the screen to show anything. Once I apply pressure to it however, the screen works just fine. 

I will admit that I haven't had the car long enough to explore these issues myself, nor am I especially mechanically inclined, but I figured with a community like this one behind the Reatta, I couldn't go wrong by asking about the issues here. Any kind of help would be appreciated greatly. 

Where are you in Florida?

Guest vToniic

I am located in central Florida, between Daytona and Orlando. I appreciate the link Ronnie, I will try to do that. I'll check that link tonight and see if I can figure out what's going on. 

The digital cluster is probably in need of rebuilding, likely the high voltage drive for the digital display is out. The CRT is a strange problem, never seen one where pressing on the touchscreen would cause the image to return, but not be visible otherwise. Sounds like a possible loose connection. Most likely it needs rebuilding as well but cleaning the connectors is worth trying first as it costs nothing but a bit of your time. 

Guest vToniic

More developments here;

Lights on the instrument panel below the digital display work, just the digital gauges don't. I will likely have to replace that display.

I have also discovered that the CRT touchscreen works even if I can't see anything on the screen. For example, if I set the screen to the 'Summary' page, and know where the volume controls are, I can adjust the volume without anything being displayed on the screen. It is the most bizarre thing I have discovered with my baby yet. Any thoughts?

Have come to the conclusion that nice cars like ours have a fixed price in the $3k-$5k range for a coupe. You can either pay it up front and enjoy immediately or start out cheap and pay in stages.

In my experience the 88-89 electronics are more robust than 90-91 but can fail. The CRT/touchscreen is an early design and in two separate pieces with separate connectors and is common for the CRT to fail while the touchscreen still works.

Fortunately both the speedo display and the CRT are easy to swap out.

The reason the touchscreen works sans image is that the touchscreen is actually a seperate assembly from the monitor and has it's own signal lines back to the CRTC (CRT control computer). So, yes, you can operate the "buttons" even when they aren't visible. Most likely your CRT has had an internal component failure and needs rebuilding.

The cluster uses VFD display tubes for the digital readouts and these require a high voltage AC power supply to illuminate. This power supply is integral to the cluster and can be repaired thus restoring the displays. 

The digital displays themselves rarely fail outright,  just get dim over time.l from yse The telltape lamps are standard 12v lamps and will operate even if the digital displays are out for some reason, short of a complete failure of the cluster.

I highly recommend having spares of these two units (cluster and CRT) on hand for 88/89 owners at all times as original non-rebuilt ones will fail at some point and need repair. Having spares cuts your downtime, and covers you if you have a rare non-repairable condition. These untis are readily available from vendors here and elsewhere for purchase outright so getting spares is not a big deal. Cost is usually in the $150 range each for good used (non-rebuilt) units and often can be found for less by being patient and looking for a deal. Rebuilds for either unit run $150-200 generally.

As posted in a current thread, the solution is to pull the CRT (easy) and send it off to Eddy Voland.  What you describe regarding the blank CRT but functional touch is classic CRT failure and virtually 100% correctable.  Eddy worked for GM as a tech doing depot repairs on these unit and he not only has the knowledge but the equipment and parts to give them a new lease on life.  

Guest Mitchs0916

I just bought an '88. Have had a '90 and a '91 years ago. The crt scrolls like crazy but still works if you know where to press the buttons. Can I still drive it if I pull the crt out? How can I reach Eddy and how long does a rebuild take? I'm fairly mechanically inclined. If I pull the crt will it be easy to diagnose what needs cleaning. Was hoping to find a video of the removal on YouTube but no luck. 

Glad ad to be back as a reatta owner. Makes me grin just looking at it parked in the garage. 

Mitch

Guest Mitchs0916

Thank you!  It came out easy. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and works great but good to have contact info for rebuild when I need it. 

Mitch

I have had a few fuel sender issues with my Reattas. First time the sender in the tank was bad. The second time I lucked out in a way. The fuel pump died a week  after getting the car. Somewhere in the process of dropping the tank to change the pump then putting it back together, the sender started working again. So I think the sender gums up just from sitting, yours may start working after driving awhile.