New Buick Convertible

Lawteachr

The opening line reminds me to a tea what my Chrysler Sebring JXi was like "overweight and underpowered." That's the main reason that I sold it.

Lots of fun; lots of memories but it was just not powerful enough to cruise in at highway speeds.

Ed

On 5/18/2016 at 4:20 PM, smithbrother said:

Ben,

That's because it is missing a VISOR, don't you think?  hehe

Don't ya just love me?

Someday we will meet and have a good ole time getting to know each other.

Let's see, YOU are 6 months older than me, YOU old guy,

Dale in Indy 

I bet Dale would by TWO if they came with factory SCALLOPS...

On 5/20/2016 at 4:08 PM, avgwarhawk said:

... The new convertible is nice but too small for my tastes.  I enjoy the land yacht convertibles from the 60-70's.

Agreed!  I'd like the extra space that those

older convertibles--mid-sized and above--gave.

Better for sharing with family and friends.

Remember that the Buick Apollo, which is sized 

the same as a Chevrolet Nova, was called a compact car.

So the Cascada is at most a compact.

Why should cars get smaller?  People are the same size as always!

Guest ShadowES
On 5/18/2016 at 8:50 AM, wndsofchng06 said:

At 37k, It's out of the average person's reach.  I don't think this model will last long.

The industry average in 2015 was $33,500 so given for this being 2016 it is pretty close to the average new vehicle price. 

(Sorry, don't know why that reposted)

Edited by ShadowES (see edit history)

Guest ShadowES

Have you ever ridden in the back seat of a mid to late 60's GM "A" body coupe?  Bet the Cascada has a better back seat than one of those. 

I bought one of the first Cascadas back in February and have enjoyed the above average spring weather here in north Texas, So far we have a little over 2000 miles on it.  Only one road trip 150 miles each way but I enjoy it a lot.  My wife prefers riding in it over the classics.  When the weather was still a bit cool and I put the top down she found the switch for the seat heater and that kept her happy.  

Chuck Bloomberg

cover pic 2016.jpg

• Like 3

I used to ride around in my Chrysler JXi with the top down if what one might refer to as questionable weather.  I made a screen that went across the back seats that kept all of the air from coming forward from the back via wind currents.  With the windows up and the screen in place, there was absolutely no wind in the cockpit.  With no wind, there was no need to turn the heater on.I just had to make sure that when I made it that it went all the way across from side to side and hugged the floor.  It came up as high as the tops of the head rests.  I loved it, and my wife didn't object to having the top down if the weather was a little cool. I sewed 4" wide plastic panels in between two pieces of vinyl that matched the seats, and it would fold up like an accordion for storage in the trunk or just lie flat across the back seat.

Ed

6 hours ago, Pilgrim65 said:

Hi guys , the new Buick convertible referred to has been around for at least 2 years in the Uk with a Vauxhall badge , good looking car .

And it appears the Buick Cascada grill design is more a result of just being a re-badge of the Opel Cascada grill.

Vauxhall-Cascada-39.jpg?itok=9L3ewEqI

10 hours ago, CBloomberg said:

2 of my favorite Buicks-the '52 and the Cascada                                                                    I bought one of the first Cascadas back in February and have enjoyed the above average spring weather here in north Texas, So far we have a little over 2000 miles on it.  Only one road trip 150 miles each way but I enjoy it a lot.  My wife prefers riding in it over the classics.  When the weather was still a bit cool and I put the top down she found the switch for the seat heater and that kept her happy.  

Chuck Bloomberg

cover pic 2016.jpg

• Like 1

While I  understand the aerodynamics/mpg requirement, the slope of the windshield  is more than a bit much in my opinion.  To me the whole idea of a drop top is to give one a feeling of freedom and open air.  Modern day converts leave me feeling encased within the passenger compartment.