Please consider adding a signature

MrEarl

I think most of us would like to know at least a first name and where in the country some of you live. I personally like to address folks by their real name vs their user id but can't always ( more like never) remember their names.

It would also be nice to know what part of the country you are in.

And also what year/model Buick you have would be nice too

So please consider adding a signature by going to the top right hand corner of the page, clicking the down arrow next to your id, then click account settings then signature. That will bring up a box that you may enter whatever info you would like. 

You can also enter your location beneath your avatar by going to and clicking the same down arrow then Profile then Edit Profile.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, smithbrother said:

Until he paints SCALLOPS on at least one FITTY FO, he is just a moderator,. IMO

Dale in Indy 

Dale,

At least you didn't call Lamar a mediocre moderator.  That would have been too much assonance and alliteration..

• Like 2

Just now, Plyroadking said:

Why doesn't my signature show up on my post?

I see your signature of:

Andy

Central Iowa

1941 Buick

1957 International 

1983, 1986 Chevy K30s

1930, 1940, 1955 Plymouths

Is there something else that should be in your signature?

2 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Oh yeah.  I gave up on that as well as my tablet.  Nothing beats the full meal deal you get with a computer and monitor.

A lot of my friends find it hard to believe but I just have the phone, don't really see the need for a computer when I can get ebay, Craigslist, and forums on my phone, guess I'll just have to remember y'alls names....

11 hours ago, MrEarl said:

yep probably a s smartphone thing

;)

That's one of the things I miss about the old (less Korean spam resistant) forum software.  When I viewed the site on my phone, there was a button at the bottom of the page to switch from the mobile site to the full site.  I was hoping that would come back as the kinks of the new setup were worked out, but it has yet to return.  :unsure:

I put my signature in after the last big change and, like many, the default gray is almost unreadable. Brain fart this morning, I changed the color and it can be read. I guess if I was Korean I would have known that.

Could it be yet another example of a programmer writing a program they never use? Nah, that never happens.

Bernie

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 11:41 AM, SpecialEducation said:

I think I'm compliant with this one, but I do have a question along the same lines.  The avatar for most folks on here shows Junior Member or Senior Member or something similar that is auto-generated by the forum system.  However, a few have custom tags there.  How does that happen?

sig3.JPG

sig2.JPG

sig1.JPG

9,800 posts?  I think I'm over quota and out of things to say.

• Like 1

As a guy who has only been a BCA member for a couple of years, can someone explain to me the obsession with membership numbers in BCA? Why does anybody need to know what your membership number is? With the way the BCA website log in works, anybody in the world can log in as a member with all of the information posted publicy along with those numbers. If someone wanted to just read the eBugle every month they have no need to pay a membership fee to BCA. I see that as a major security flaw in BCA. For that reason alone, I don't post my BCA membership number.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

As a guy who has only been a BCA member for a couple of years, can someone explain to me the obsession with membership numbers in BCA? Why does anybody need to know what your membership number is? With the way the BCA website log in works, anybody in the world can log in as a member with all of the information posted publicy along with those numbers. If someone wanted to just read the eBugle every month they have no need to pay a membership fee to BCA. I see that as a major security flaw in BCA. For that reason alone, I don't post my BCA membership number.

Exactly! It gives us all a chance to round-robin our memberships and take a year off from time to time.  If we ALL used Speedo's number and last name, the management would get suspicious...

9 hours ago, MrEarl said:

and if you really want to be a class act, add your BCA Membership # :)

47 minutes ago, MCHinson said:

Matthew, personally I wear my # 39474 as a badge of honor. And when I see some of those that are in the 3 and 4 digit numbers (such as 5974) I consider them as members of dignity and  give them the utmost respect. To have maintained membership in a club as long as some of these members have says something about them and the club itself. 

Another reason I like to see BCA membership numbers is that when someone comes in barking and  growling about some of the issues that get discussed here, I like to see if they truly do have a dog in the fight so to speak. And I am not implying that only members are welcome here, simply that if they are going to speak their minds then they should pay the dues.   

Regarding the login and security issue, while I realize there may be some bottom feeding scum that steal the privilege of reading the Bugle without paying their dues, I would hope there are ways for "The Office" to determine if that is going on, how often it goes on and could take steps to remedy it if is substantial enough to hurt the club financially.

• Like 3

I can certainly see Matt's view on the member number issue.  It makes a person wonder why the BCA Management has not done something to secure this glaring loophole involving unauthorized access to the eBugle and other club functions.  On the other side of this issue I have to go with Mr. Earl's view.  When folks see a four digit member number, this tells them right away that here is a long-time member.  I personally feel that when anyone comes onto the forums and gets involved in any type of discussion they are obligated to at least give their name and location.  I feel like this is the courteous and respectful thing to do.  This is the downside to the internet and social media sites - people can hide behind a moniker and stir up crap and seemingly get away with it and have no consequences.  Mr. Earl, I, as just one person, would like to see posters be absolutely required to state at least their name before their writings will be admitted.  The way I and others see this is this - if a person wants to contribute on here and they have nothing to hide - let everyone know just who you are - this has a tendency to keep things honest.  I ALWAYS sign my name and location to every posting that I submit.  And, by the way, Doo Dah is a place that really does exist.

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah  America

• Like 1

I have been in AACA for decades, and BCA for only a few years. We will just have to disagree on the importance of a number. My AACA membership number is a larger number than my BCA membership number. I just don't get the perception of the importance of what your number is. I do think that some newer members find the focus on "how early is your number" to be upsetting. I value what an individual contributes to a club more than how many years they have been in it. I know a lot of people in a lot of different clubs and longevity is not always what I value the most.

I presume that the BCA Website member's only access is set up that way so the office does not have to spend any time helping people with forgotten passwords. When ease of access is more important than security, it sort of discounts the perception of the value of a product to me. It seems odd that people occasionally complain that only BCA members should be able to post here, and yet the BCA Member's only website section is basically available through an unlocked door. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MCHinson said:

I have been in AACA for decades, and BCA for only a few years. We will just have to disagree on the importance of a number. My AACA membership number is a larger number than my BCA membership number. I just don't get the perception of the importance of what your number is. I do think that some newer members find the focus on "how early is your number" to be upsetting. I value what an individual contributes to a club more than how many years they have been in it. I know a lot of people in a lot of different clubs and longevity is not always what I value the most.

I presume that the BCA Website member's only access is set up that way so the office does not have to spend any time helping people with forgotten passwords. When ease of access is more important than security, it sort of discounts the perception of the value of a product to me. It seems odd that people occasionally complain that only BCA members should be able to post here, and yet the BCA Member's only website section is basically available through an unlocked door. 

Re " I do think that some newer members find the focus on "how early is your number" to be upsetting."

Upsetting? Seriously, I would be surprised that anyone would be that sensitive, maybe so though? On the other hand maybe new members are "challenged" or "influenced" by those numbers to someday see their numbers be one of the lower numbers and thereby maintain their membership year after year to get there.

Re " It seems odd that people occasionally complain that only BCA members should be able to post here, and yet the BCA Member's only website section is basically available through an unlocked door." 

Other than during discussions related to the BCA itself, I can not recall any such complaints, maybe so though?  It has always been my wish that there was a forum for such discussions that could only be accessed by members, but there again I suppose that wall could be breached also. Most importantly though, I want to make it perfectly clear that until ruled otherwise, non BCA members are more than welcomed to participate here. 

Re " We will just have to disagree on the importance of a number." 

So noted Matthew, and respectfully so. :)

• Like 2

We can agreeably disagree on the number thing. Other than that, I think you are absolutely correct that name and location is a good thing for everyone to have in a signature. 

I still haven't found Doh Dah on a map and I am not sure I understand the scallops issue, but I guess I am OK with that too.

I prefer my scallops battered and fried just like I like my shrimp. We had the shrimp last night at our local AACA Chapter Picnic, but we did not have any scallops.:D

• Like 3

I think it's time that I am going to have to explain to everyone about living out in Doo Dah.  I have lived all of my life save for 15 years in Hutchinson, Kansas.  Back when I was in high school and I am positive that it was in 1964, we got a new editor at the Hutchinson News newspaper.  The previous editor retired and the new editor came from a larger town to take the job.  He hadn't been there too long when he wrote some columns about his previous newspaper jobs and one of the things that he mentioned was that his family felt like they were out in Doo Dah, what with it being so flat in this part of the world and all.  The readers of the paper clear out to the shore of Colorado just howled with laughter about this characterization and it stuck.  We were all living in Doo Dah from then on.  In the course of a few years the readership of the paper almost doubled and he had a fairly regular column called 'Out Doo Dah Way'  Ed Raner had ought to remember this because he went to high school in a little berg about 15 miles from Hutchinson called Buhler.  It was a fun time to be growing up in central Kansas.  There were lots of fast cars and the girls were  -  well, I better leave that alone.  So now you know all about Doo Dah and where to find it on the map.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas 

• Like 5

Hendrix street north of 30th was the place for the Friday night drags in Doo  Dah.  Funny what you remember.; one guy had a '55 Chevy with a high winding small block.  You could tell from down by the finish line every time he shifted gears.  The generator would charge more at higher RPMS, and you could see his head lights grow brighter and brighter up to the time he shifted and the RPM's would drop.  Doo Dah was where you could see how fast your car would go on the flat country roads because you could see for miles in every direction and you could spot bubble gum machines a mile away.  Alan Smith and I drove from Hutch to the Colorado line (200+ miles) and I think his little Comet Cyclone Caliente never dropped below 90 except to stop for gas.  I'm glad that Terry had the forethought to leave the girls out of it. :D

• Like 2