Engine number for Chrysler 70 Phaeton 1925

Guest Fred Soderstrom

Guest Fred Soderstrom

Hi , my family in Sweden own a 1925 Chrysler Phaeton since at least 50 years. Serial number is 40224 but Im trying to locate the engine number which can't be found on the left side of engine, close to the cylinder head. I found 64543 on the front of engine, could it be this number although no letter attached? Other numbers are W42830 on radiator and CBT10592 on firewall. Any help will be appreciated. Best Regards

Frederick Soderstrom

Serial numbers are stamped on the FEDCO plate on the dashboard and at the left frame side member at the rear spring horn. They start with B-32813 and end with B-81000. Engine numbers are stamped on a boss on top of the chain case. 64543 sounds like the engine number that you are looking for.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

Being 1925 I think this car will pre-date the FEDCO numbers. The number on the rear frame horn can only be seen when the body is off.   According to a file I have the last 'old style' serial number is 55800.  From sometime late in 1925 they went to the FEDCO system.  The Standard catalog lists the last old number as B-81000 but I think that is incorrect as the first FEDCO number for the Chrysler 70 is WY580W which would tie in with previous 55800.

See post #22 in my son's thread on his 1925 car   -  

By the way this project is on hold for a few years until he gets more established with his new job.  The 1954 Dodge engine is assembled as a long block but the rest is still untouched.  Decisions still to be made include whether the to retain the old brakes or replace with something more efficient and just what modifications are to be made to the chassis.

If you look at post #14 in this thread, in his description of the magneto drive, you will see the engine number on the top of the front accessory drive area.  There are also casting dates to be found on both engine block and cylinder head.  Our collection of parts is in storage at present. I will try to get to it soon to take pictures of the various numbers.

Fred, your description of where the engine number should be found applies to the later ( from about 1930) four bearing engines.  A question; - does this car have a Fisher body badge on the lower left of the cowl? This would help date it to 1925 as the Fisher plant used to build Chrysler bodies was bought by Chrysler sometime around that era, and the Fisher name no longer used on the bodies.  Any photos you can post would be helpful.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Guest Fred Soderstrom

Hi, that is a cool project. By the way here are some pictures of the car; thank you for trying helping out, BR Fred

Chrysler Front.JPG

Engine Chrysler.JPG

Picture 1.jpg

Picture 2.JPG

Picture 3 Serial number.JPG

Picture 4 .JPG

Remy.JPG

Badge Lubrication.JPG