1930 oil filter connections

michaelod

I can take a look at mine later today. I had the same issue and came to the conclusion that it was on backwards. I can't remember the details, so I'll need to get out to the garage for a look. I could swear I asked the same question in a previous thread, but can't find it. One word of caution with that fitting; the first time I went to change the filter, I couldn't get it off. Be certain to lube the gasket and don't put it on too tight.

Yes, that is the way I thought it might be but was not sure.  I am currently bending new oil lines for the setup and the way they are bent depends on their location on the oil filter canister.  This confirms what I had suspected.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, raydurr said:

Shown is correct oil filter lines and fittings on my 1929 Buick. I assume 1930 would be the same or very close. 

image.jpeg

Thank you for the photo of your 29.  Just to be clear, does the tube closest to the firewall lead to the lower port on the engine?

Raydurr: Is that the original filter? Mine from Bob's is the opposite with the lower line going to the outside fitting and the line from the center fitting leading to the higher point on the motor.  

I think the fittings are reversed on Bob's repro because oil travels through a spin-on filter from the outside to the inside. It exits out of the center.

EDIT: See the attached, the note on the bottom confirms what I remembered.

image.jpeg

Edited by Buick64C
Update information (see edit history)

47 minutes ago, Buick64C said:

Raydurr: Is that the original filter? Mine from Bob's is the opposite with the lower line going to the outside fitting and the line from the center fitting leading to the higher point on the motor.  

I think the fittings are reversed on Bob's repro because oil travels through a spin-on filter from the outside to the inside. It exits out of the center.

EDIT: See the attached, the note on the bottom confirms what I remembered.

image.jpeg

My car has a reproduction with a modern spin on element.  I purchase it new , uninstalled from an individual .

It's possible that mine is plumbed  wrong.  Been running it like this for years.  Before I owned car it had no filter.  My filtet had no markings and I had no resources at the time to investigate proper install.   

Good luck.