Rear Windshield Gasket Repair

Doug Harness

The rubber seal around the back windshield of the ’89 is very dry and starting to peel. I found old posts from 2008 and 2009 about repairing with a paintable silicone caulk. Has anyone found any newer repair method or product since these old posts?

Tends to depend on the overall condition of the "trim".....it is not actually the seal.

If you have chunks missing, then some sort of filler is needed, after that the choice of paints is wide open.

While I have never tried it, a thought came to mind...the new "plastic coats" might be a good choice

If you are unfamiliar with them, all sorts of auto enthusiast are using this material for various things, even WalMart carries it.

One video I watched a fellow was "plastic coating" his BMW wheels satin black....he experimented  with a different method on each.

I suggest you do an internet search and watch some videos and it might give you some ideas.    It is a little hard to believe but a common use is to paint

the cars emblems BLACK...they don't bother masking just clean and spray (several light coats) then you peel the excess of the paint, hard to believe until you watch a few videos.

Here is a link to a video showing what you can do with this spray...

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I patched mine w Barney's suggested Plasticoat/Plasti Dip. I need to go back and redo it, as I was experimenting and probably expected too much. I will try a product I use for scratch and chip glaze. Love this stuff. Sandable in 5 minutes. I even use it on flexible bumper covers. After sanding I will use the Plasti Kote/Plastidip again.

U-Pol Dolphin Glaze.

U-Pol.jpg

Edited by waltmail (see edit history)