Replace circiut breaker with fuse box?

I am used to fuseboxes from more modern cars and am afraid of some future problems with that beakers, i do not trust them.

Do they have an advantage exept they reset after a shortcut?

I think of replacing with a beautiful clean and easy to check fusebox.

I think also, i dont need the coil resistors because earlier someone converted the original twin coil with 2 external standard coils, so without restistos the spark might even get better (hot start).

ans suggestions?

Oliver

With a fuse for the lights, you will lose all lights when you get a short. The circuit breaker in your car is a bi-metal strip wrapped with heating wire. When the current draw is excessive the strip will open the contacts and the circuit. The strip will cool down with no current flowing and allow the lights to come back on again. If the short is constant, your lights will flicker enough to allow you to bring the car to a safe stop. The circuit breakers have been very reliable and I seldom hear of a problem with them.

Some coils still require an external resister. The 6 volt coils for the 49-55 Ford, Mercury and Lincoln have internal resisters and you can eliminate the external ballast resisters.

You might want to replace any defective wiring/looms in your vehicle to minimize any wiring issues such as shorts or poor connections.  I replaced mine with new wiring from Rhode Island Wiring which supplies the exact cable links, connectors on the ends with the correct color codes as on the wiring diagram.  It's cheap insurance as those old wires after 70+ years do deteriorate and new wiring makes your vehicle look like new.  That way you don't have to start putting fuses where there are circuit breakers.  Good wiring especially in the battery connections is so important to good operation of your vehicle!

• Like 1

I check the voltage drop for my headlights circuit as part of my Spring maintenance and have not seen a voltage drop across the circuit breaker, but every couple of years, I have to clean the dimmer switch. The headlight switch also has shown a voltage drop in the past.

To do this, connect the COM lead of your meter to the NEG battery post and use the red or + lead to probe the back of the headlights, with the headlights on. Typical voltage readings are 0.3 Volts. Anything above 0.5 needs immediate attention..