1928 dodge victory six vacuum pump

Guest Nicholas OConnor

Guest Nicholas OConnor

I had bad gas and emptied  out the gas from the lines and tank and vacuum  pump cleaned out sediment bowl ,put in new gas and tried to start but no gas came through the  line . Any suggestions on what may be the problem and how to  repair

Don't you have to fill the vacuum tank so that the engine will run so there is enough vacuum to suck the gas from the tank???

Some cars, with a strong battery and good starter, can pull enough gasoline to prime the vacuum tank. IMPORTANT caution! That CAN be bad for the starter, could burn out the armature or melt solder connections or cables. So you need to know your car and if you want to risk it.

Choke the engine, crank several times, pause to allow vacuum sucking to stop so that the gasoline pulled into the top of the tank can drain into the carburetor. It only takes a very small amount of gasoline to start the motor, but that gasoline has to be in the carburetor first. If the first cycle doesn't start the motor? You may want to try a second cycle of choke, crank, pause, crank and hope it starts. If the second cycle to prime and start does not do it? Personally, I get out, and put my hands onto the starter and several places of the cables to make sure nothing is getting hot. If it is getting hot (be careful touching not to get burned!), you may need to resort to other methods to prime the motor. 

I have had and driven several cars with vacuum tanks over the years. Several of them would prime and start this way. A couple would not. I always figured that the cars that would not start that way had minor leaks somewhere in the system that would defeat the slow crank of the starter pulling gasoline up, but would work fine at running rpm.