1936 Packard 120 Straight Eight Business Coupe

dgpnaples

I am looking to buy  a 1936 120 Straight Eight, Vin # 9982257. Is there a series of engine block numbers that I need to check to make sure the engine is original to the car? Any other items to look for on this model and year car? Thank you in advance, Dean.

There's no such thing as "matching numbers" in the familiar sense with cars like this Packard. As Restorer32 points out, there's a window in which the engine should have been built for a 1936 car, but it is my experience that on a car like this, as long as the engine is correct (that is, a 282 cubic inch Packard straight-8) then it doesn't matter if it's the exact, original engine for this particular car and should have no effect on value. It's frustrating that the TV shows and auctions have everyone thinking that matching-numbers is critical on EVERY car, but on most pre-war cars there's just no way to know if it's the exact original engine. It's possible for a car like this Packard to have a different engine number, different frame number, different serial number, and different body number, and they can all be original to the car but don't correlate to each other in any way. My experience says most old cars probably have their original engines, but it's tough to prove.

The most important thing is condition when evaluating a car like this. Make sure it's not rusty, that the trim and chrome is intact and not pitted (or missing), and evaluate how it drives. 120s are great-driving cars and a coupe is a great combination of performance and luxury, one of the best of the late 1930s in my opinion. Focus less on numbers and more on making sure the car is in good order (commensurate with the price, I suppose), and you'll end up with a car that will bring you years of fun.

Be cautious in terms of condition, but don't worry about numbers and investment values. Have fun!

If your engine # falls outside the range I posted we can tell you what it was originally fitted to. Matt is correct, no matching numbers on this Packard but would be nice if your engine number was within the range specified. Saves having to explain down the road when and if you need to sell the car.

The 1936 120Bs had the then new larger displacement 282 cu. in. engine. This size engine was used until the end of the 1947 models. No problem if the engine was replaced by a like kind some time in its life. I believe the original engine numbers started at X275601 to X82637. Engine number data varies by the source used, but there is general agreement. Good luck on joining the Packard family.

(o{}o)