1933 Rockne Model 10

Looking for a set of the front brake cables and also a windshield wiper motor for my Rockne. I

have two wiper motors, but Ficken Wiper Service said he couldn't rebuild them. My brake cables

are stretched so bad that there is no adjustment left on them. Help Please!

Tim, I'm surprised these cables have stretched.  My manual indicates no adjustment should ever be made in the cables; only in the eccentrics and shoes themselves. There are folks who reproduce these cables but, off the top of my head, I can't suggest who.

• 2 weeks later...

Brad, I haven't been happy with the brakes since I finished the restoration. It just doesn't stop we'll. When I went through the brakes the pads were good, I just took a block and sanded the shoes to remove any old glaze after setting 41 years. I had all four of the brake drums turned and put all new brake springs on. I adjusted the star adjusters until I had just a little drag on wheels and then backed them off one. The brakes didn't get much better so I started to look at the cables, because when I did the restoration I took everything apart. I am at the point of taking it to Fremont Auto Parts, (which they are very familiar with old cars) maybe they can help me.

If I remember correctly, all cables being equal, once the eccentrics are adjusted, the manual calls for a feeler gauge to be inserted through the anterior access on the drum for the final adjustment.

• 3 weeks later...

Brad, I arc'ed the rear brake shoes today, then I set the eccentrics with a .014" feeler like the book said. The last thing is to set the adjusters so they drag a little then back off one. After all this I took it for a spin and was able to lock the rears up and squeal the tires. Finally success, now it's unto the front.

No greater feeling of confidence than properly operating brakes!  Were you able to do so with the original cables?  I know there are folks who reproduce them; just can't recall the name offhand.