Help finding tie rod ends

Guest Crahm

Guest Crahm

I'm having a heck of a time finding new tie rod ends for the '41 Graham Hollywood.

My old tie rod was in horrible shape and a previous owner had two right hand threads in a home-made tie rod.

I purchased a tie rod from Speedway Motors and it came with two tie rod ends but the taper is too small.

Regarding the tie rod taper opening, the upper diameter is .577-.580";  the lower opening is .674";  the height is .87".

The tie rod ends are "straight."

Any ideas?

Charles Rahm

Dallas, TX 

Wellll...maybe this's helpful...

First, if the Hollywood was the Cord body, and it was mounted on the Cord frame, the Cord-Aub-Dues people may be the ones to talk to (i don't recall if the Hollywood was front or rear drive)...

If it was the Cord body mounted on a Graham frame, welll...

My latest front end parts catalog is a McQuay-Norris 1941, which unfortunately only lists Graham to 1940 (and has no Cord front end info)...

It does list, under Graham ".. 37-40  Standard and Special 6, 96, 108; sprchgr 116, 97, 107; Custom Sprchgr 120, 97, 107 (which sounds like it may be the complete line)...ES58  tie rod socket/end, which MIGHT'VE been continued into 1941...

That catalog has no specs page, so I have no dimensions, but the ES58 is also listed for PONTIAC 37-38 6CA, 6DA, 6cyls; 8CA, 8DA 8cyls...

You can probably get some comparison dimensions from the Pontiac forum here or other GM forums. Good luck

ALSA: If you'll pardon my attack of denseness, I don't think I'm following your post above...

"Suspension components 100% Graham"---did you mean produced by Graham, or produced to Graham specs??? I would've thought Graham, winding downhill, would've tried to cut expenses by using "off-the-shelf" components whenever possible...

"They interchange..."  I understand interchanging does not always equal a common manufacturer, but often does...not that a mainline wouldn't sell own manufactured parts to an Independent, especially with the old anti-trust worries of the Independents latter years...

I've also been told replacement parts companies will sometimes list a part common to two or more makes that, while not EXACTLY OE specs for them all, is close enough to fit/work acceptably...

Also, an oops--that Pontiac end also fits similar Olds---which I should've thought to doublecheck....

Sorry,  saying 100% Graham is misleading I guess.  The front subframe and both front & rear suspension is Graham and NOT Cord.  Things like tie-rod ends were not manufactured by Graham but by a 3rd party and I'm fairly sure they were used on other marques.   Definitely get the interchange list from the Graham club.

Guest Crahm

The Graham club cross reference list does not include tie rod ends. I found the Pontiac tie rod ends as Bud Tierney suggests but I don't have measurements on it yet.  Rare Parts in California probably can make me what I need for about $100, waiting to hear from them.

Thanks! 

I am sure Graham bought ready made tie rods from Moog, Federal or other supplier. If anyone has an old parts book or Hollander interchange manual they can tell you what part number to ask for, and what other cars fit. There is a good chance they interchange with another more popular car.

Guest Crahm

Speaking with a Moog representative is almost hopeless.  "We're not allowed to discuss specifics with the public....call a distributor."  So I did.  The Moog modern charts do not list one of the important specifications.  i.e.  the height of the taper.  My major diameter is .674", the minor diameter is .577-.58";  the height is .87".  I did purchase one Moog with the proper major and minors, but the rise was not as tall, therefore, the taper didn't match.

I have sent my one good tie rod end to Rare Parts.  The representative said they could make a duplicate for less than $100.  Bargain at this point.  I'm waiting to hear back from them.

TRW HAD a progressive size listing catalog for ALL their steering components.

I have the catalog but cannot find it online........ :ph34r:

It is similar to that which gives every dimension necessary to identify the product >>> http://www.trw.com/media/510/download/tech%20sheet%20DL%20Series.pdf

Many companies have stopped providing hard copies since the digital age both helped and screwed up things.

If TRW still provides a hard copy I didn't find it but I was told, years ago, to KEEP those old books,

The 1959 DUFOR tie rod end catalogue does not list '41 Graham, but does list '36-'40. That end has quite different dimensions to those you give above.

In fact there are none with those dimensions. The nearest is .678, .608, 9/16" hi. There is only one 7/8" hi - 0.882 x 0.773 taper.

Your taper is 0.111"/inch or 1.33/foot. The one given here is 0.1244"/inch or 1.4933"/foot.

Clearly, DUFOR did not feel the need to cater for the 1941 Graham. Maybe there were none in Oz.

Guest Crahm

Rare Parts of Stockton, CA examined the tie rod end I sent to them and said it is the same as the '37-'40 Buick.
 They have them in stock and have shipped me two.  I'll post again if they indeed work for the Graham Hollywood.

Thank you everyone.

Charles Rahm

Dallas, TX

Xclnt.

DUFOR list the '37-'40 Buick under '38-'42 40, 50, 60, H60, 70, H70, 90, 40-80 Buick, ends TE28. That also fits '36-'37 Buick 36-90, 37-40, 37-60, 37-90, plus '46-52 71, 76C, 76S Buicks.

It also fits '36-'40 Graham Cavalier 90; Supercharger 97,107, 108, 110, 116, 120.

And some others: Cadillac all '36-'51, Chrysler (Custom Imperial 8 and others '37-'39), La Salle all '34-'40, Oldsmobile '34-'38, Pontiac '37-'38, Studebaker Tr. '41-'53 M5, 2R5, 2R10, Coupe Express 113" w.b.

Dimensions are Male socket thread 11/16x18; 0.703-0.609 x 3/4; Ball bolt 1/2x20.

Hope this information is useful to you in the future.

This's a classic illus of interchangeability of parts...

Dufor apparently has acquired, or had made, a tie rod end that fits, well enough to work satisfactorily, the range of models Spinneyhill has listed above...

My McQuay Norris May 1941 catalog (apparently issued monthly!!), however, lists several different numbers for those models I was able to match...

My 1944 Sealed Power catalog almost (almost!) completely agrees, between the two giving a total of ten (count 'em, 10!!) different parts numbers...neither catalog, unfortunately, has a specs section, so I cannot compare dimensions...

Did McQ-N and SP actually acquire parts wholesale from the (or an) original supplier, who sold them to both OE m'f'rs AND parts Co's, and therefor follow OE parts numbers???

SPINNEYHILL--did you possibly type TE28 when you meant TE58???  Altho McQ-N uses ES-- and SP uses TE--, their actual numbers are the same, and 58 is one of the ten numbers...

TE58 fits Bedford and Vauxhall. Sorry, both 1956 and 1959 catalogues say the same.

TE58 is Male in 1956, female in 1959, 9/16 x 18; 0.593 - 0.500 x 3/4", ball bolt 7/16 x 20. Quite a bit smaller.

DUFOR is the tradename of Duly & Hansford Ltd, Marrickville, N.S.W., Australia.

Guest Crahm

The part numbers from Rare Parts which fit my Graham Hollywood Supercharged are:

RP25200 & RP25201.

The male rod end bolt is 11/16 - 20.

I installed them yesterday evening.  Too bad it was raining, I wanted to give the car a drive now that I have given it a decent toe-in adjustment.