Driving Habits

X-Frame

Well my oldest car is probably also the fastest but the last time it drove over the limit was on a race track. It also has new radials and enough suspension and braking improvements to be a restomod. I consider all to be safe at 70+ because they are maintained that way

I value Michelins in the rain, ABS, and TC. In fact the Judge is the only one that does not have ABS (but has disk brakes) and I keep all working properly.

Am also Scots and know what happens to mpg at speed so the 70 mph speed limit is fine (65 if pulling a trailer) and I generally stay in the right lane

But the drivers that scare me the most are not the texters or distracted drivers, I usually can spot those about a 1/4 mile away. It is called "situational awareness".

The ones that scare me the most living in the vacation capital of the world are the expert drivers from the UK, Japan, Australia, and other RHD countries who trained instant reactions are wrong. They should all have flashing lights on their rental cars.

ps ALL my cars have "Hands Free" capability and that includes voice texting.

Edited by padgett (see edit history)

You are NOT alone ... but we are in the minority, I do believe, sadly.

The last few years, when I went out to just drive, I head west of town.  Slower pace, country roads, hardly anyone out there.  MUCH more enjoyable driving experience.  Bad part ... not too many people get to see the actual car ... LOL!  But, I can take that ... to just be able to enjoy the drive & not feel tense at all.

Cort > www.oldcarsstronghearts.com
pigValve.paceMaker.cowValve | 1979 Caprice Classic (needs new owner)

"We missed a page or 2 somehow" __ Suzy Boggus __ 'Cinderella'

I wonder if those who agree there should be a drivers test every ten years are people who agree that there should be periodic vehicle emission checks and safety inspections?

1 hour ago, padgett said:

The ones that scare me the most living in the vacation capital of the world are the expert drivers from the UK, Japan, Australia, and other RHD countries who trained instant reactions are wrong. They should all have flashing lights on their rental cars.

Mr P's GS,
I was just thinking about this, how do you know if drivers are from a foreign country, or just bad drivers from another state on vacation? They all would be driving rental cars and those vehicles would have domestic tags.  Unless I was actually having a conversation with those drivers and detected an accent I would not be able to tell what country anyone resides in, and even then I would not know for sure, besides that can be pretty hard to do while driving in another car........  just curious how one can determine that?

14 minutes ago, helfen said:

I wonder if those who agree there should be a drivers test every ten years are people who agree that there should be periodic vehicle emission checks and safety inspections?

I agree to both driver testing and more so safety checks then emission testing, but it is needed. In states with no inspections I have seen some real scarey stuff on the road

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

11 minutes ago, John348 said:

I agree to both driver testing and more so safety checks then emission testing, but it is needed. In states with no inspections I have seen some real scarey stuff on the road

John, with all the cars I have I would go broke and be spending al lot of time at a inspection station. Most of the cars I have, have never been touched by anyone but me. Why should I pay anyone or agency to tell me anything I don't already know. As far as emission testing goes, any car with OBD2 should never be tested. The car tells you when it's out of compliance....It's just a money grab. 

Reminds me of a time when I was supposed to go to jury duty and I asked the judge to be excused because of a medical problem. The judge said for me to get a excuse from my doctor. I told the judge that if he did not trust me in telling the truth of my situation then how could he trust me to carry on as a juror. he let me go.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

The bottom line is that no matter what anyone wishes for the traffic is what it is and its always in a state of change. I have to adjust my driving depending on wether I'm in my old Buick, my motorcycle or a modern car, on a freeway or on a side street, it also depends on the time of day or night. I try to calculate the best time to drive the old car and the best routes. Many things make up that calculation. Rush hour traffic is no good if its hot out and the old Buick has to sit in traffic without moving, it will start to run hot. That is no concern in my modern car. If I'm out late at night here in Vegas there are many drivers driving under the influence of alcohol, the old Buick has old taillights that aren't bright so its best to keep off the streets at that time. My motorcycle is another vehicle that would be better not to be out at that time. There are just lots of things that effect driving each vehicle. 

One of my pet peeves is the guy who is riding your A$$ as you approach a stop light. Do these people not look beyond the hood of there cars when they are driving? You can see a red light for quite a distance before you are at the light but for some reason people seem to want to be the first one to the light. They will pass you and give you a dirty look as to why you are slowing down. I will often roll my window down and congratulate them to winning the race to the red light!

Guest Skyking
7 hours ago, helfen said:

Inspections here in RI are a money grabbing scam like everything else here.  The profits with the license, inspections and registrations,  plus gas tax supposed to go for our roads and bridges.  If anyone wants to compare bad driving habits being dangerous,  try driving on our pathetic dangerous roads!  

22 hours ago, helfen said:

How about this one;

My complaint. 2 lane each direction. Speed limit 75mph. Approaching a large hill or mountain pass. There is five of you in the fast lane doing between 75-80. In front and in the rt. lane or slow lane are two semi tractor trailers or more starting to make the grade and they are two city blocks in front of you. They obviously knew you were fast approaching because they had to have looked to see if there was traffic so they could pass. One truck will pull into the fast lane knowing that their speed is going to be reduced because of the grade. The truck they are passing comes up even to them and then they sit side by side all the way over the summit and ever so slowly the passing truck overtakes the other and ever so slowly moves over. The driver knew these cars were coming at a high rate of speed but just had to do a bit of blocking. I have seen it so bad sometimes that these trucks will stay in the fast lane so long that cars start passing on the rt. side out of frustration. Sometimes the truck drivers will then try and pinch these cars passing on the rt.
Happens every day out there.

These guys are out making a living. It is Obvious you have never driven a big rig.

Cars can get to what ever speed they want in a hurry, trucks cant.

You have to be patient with the professional driver and their big rigs. They are only trying to get your groceries to the store for you.

I doubt that they are messing with you as you describe, These rigs are difficult to see behind and its you guys that are in that big of a hurry that are causing the problem.

When you get clear go as fast as you want, I do.

I will bet you still got to where you were going.

4 hours ago, Skyking said:

Inspections here in RI are a money grabbing scam like everything else here.  The profits with the license, inspections and registrations,  plus gas tax supposed to go for our roads and bridges.  If anyone wants to compare bad driving habits being dangerous,  try driving on our pathetic dangerous roads!  

I see you live in both RI and FL as I do also, and I used to feel the same way about the NYS inspections, but after I had seen some of the pieces of junk on the road in FL my opinion has somewhat changed toward inspections. It only appears to be a money grab for those who take care of our vehicles, but it does provide a service by keeping unsafe ones off the road.

If the roads down there were as bad as the ones in the NE most of those dangerous vehicles would have fallen apart along time ago.

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

Guest AlCapone
On May 7, 2016 at 11:07 AM, X-Frame said:
Remember the days when you could take a leisurely and enjoyable drive to the grocery store?  Now you are always tense and on the defense...less than enjoyable.  Drivers have become, like society, all about ME.  I don't want to follow behind anyone.  I don't want to drive the speed limit.  I don't want to read signs.  In general, I don't adhere to the rules of the road as aggressive drivers.

I have been driving for the past 42-years and never had an accident (knock on wood).  The last ticket that I received was 30-years ago and not a moving violation (expired inspection sticker).  People say I drive like a grandpa but I follow the rules.  Do the speed limit (often set the cruise control on highways) while trying to keep the proper 1 car length for every 10-mph between cars (proper braking distance).  Stop completely at stop signs (not a rolling stop) while giving the proper right of way, etc... 

I am also an advocate of wanting to make people take a written driving test every time they renew their drivers license (every 10 years here) which will reeducate people.  One of my turn signal bulbs went out not long ago and I used the proper hand signals. Drivers around me didn't have a clue (in driving manuals).

Anyway, as I get older the less I enjoy driving because of all of the crazy people on the road. Even more so by those who are always on phones and don't use turn signals, blow through crossings, or don't pay attention to their surroundings.  Courteous drivers, are they a thing of the past?

Am I alone on this one?

Eric

Yes I think you are alone on this one. I don't  share your opinion . Of course you have to be careful because of the masses but if you over react you become the problem and not the solution.  Wayne

27 minutes ago, JACK M said:

These guys are out making a living. It is Obvious you have never driven a big rig.

Cars can get to what ever speed they want in a hurry, trucks cant.

You have to be patient with the professional driver and their big rigs. They are only trying to get your groceries to the store for you.

I doubt that they are messing with you as you describe, These rigs are difficult to see behind and its you guys that are in that big of a hurry that are causing the problem.

When you get clear go as fast as you want, I do.

I will bet you still got to where you were going.

Baloney, these guys are control freaks. I have seen this kind of thing going on for many years. You know what your rig is capable of and when you pull out on a hill you know you can't keep up with traffic. Follow the rules like everyone else. The rules say slower traffic keep to the right. 

I don't want to bump heads with you.

Like I said, these are professional drivers and it is obvious you have zero experience with big rigs.

I don't think they are breaking any rules except yours.

8 minutes ago, helfen said:

Baloney, these guys are control freaks. I have seen this kind of thing going on for many years. You know what your rig is capable of and when you pull out on a hill you know you can't keep up with traffic. Follow the rules like everyone else. The rules say slower traffic keep to the right. 

8 minutes ago, JACK M said:

I don't want to bump heads with you.

Like I said, these are professional drivers and it is obvious you have zero experience with big rigs.

I don't think they are breaking any rules except yours.

Jack, I am not looking to bump heads either but I am with Heflin on this 100%. just because some one does something for a living does not mean they do their job well! Calling them "professional drivers" goes along with calling a garbage man a "sanitary engineer" Many of these big rig drivers seem to be a big part of the problem and not the cure. Once the driverless technology is perfected they will become another lost trade

39 minutes ago, JACK M said:

You say many.

That could still be a small percentage.

If one hasn't been in those shoes than why would one be so quick to condemn?

Jack , I make the trip from AZ to the L.A. area ( the ten) and then over to the central coast and from the central coast back to AZ on 58 and 40 every six months and I see it every single time. I can even name the spots where it will happen because it's so predictable that my wife and I will make bets on which truck will jump out on a grade and block fast moving traffic. So I would say to these drivers: be professional and follow the rules of the road. stay to the right if you are not passing and if you are passing wait for much faster to go by first before you make a attempt at it so you don't impede traffic, and to the other truck drivers who are getting passed to please be professional and use your lights to signal when it safe for the overtaking truck to come over to your slow lane. This will help safety wise because if you let the passing truck too far out in front of you the cars that he is holding back will invariably try to make a dash for it on the rt. 

I hope you are not saying that I would have to be in a truck drivers shoes to see why he is braking the law.  

1. My complaint about big rig drivers is that very few (maybe 3%) give me a headlight flash to tell me I'm clear and that I may pull safely into the slow lane after overtaking them--while I'm pulling my tall 24-ft-box trailer (29 ft overall with its long Z-tongue)--even at night.  I see the same lack of courtesy extended to drivers of motor homes and of RV trailers especially fivers.  This is my experience in all lower 48 states.  The big rig drivers do that for each other, why not for ANY vehicle with similarly limited vision to the rear?  Invariably I extend them that courtesy when they overtake me, no matter whether I'm pulling a trailer or driving solo.

2. A more troubling issue is that of auto/pickup drivers who merge from an on-ramp onto a controlled-access highway without bothering to see if there's a trailer behind that dually pickup.  My conjecture is that their driver's side mirror shows the nose of a pickup approaching in the highway lane, and they know how long a pickup is, so they plan to slide right in just behind my pickup's rear bumper.  When they realize that there's a trailer behind that pickup is when the fun begins--swerving, hasty braking, etc.  About half of them seem to flip me off--as if it were my fault--when they soon overtake me at about 85 mph.  In metropolitan areas, I always run with my lights on in daylight in hopes that merging drivers will think this is unusual and look a little more closely.

3.  While driving a vintage car, I've learned to be especially wary of modern cars at stop signs waiting to turn right into my path.  I think their logic is "I don't want to be stuck behind THAT slow old thing," so they turn in front of me rather than wait for me to pass (I have the legal right-of-way).  Only once have I been able to stop alongside such a vehicle at the next traffic light down the road and say, "You have far more confidence in my 90-year-old brakes than I do."

4. In my dotage, I have learned to drive especially defensively when (1) towing or (2) driving a vintage auto.  I've learned to replace anger with a chuckle, thanks to the Almighty for having dodged a bullet, and rumination on how the world has gone to hell in a hand basket.

I always drive the speed limit, even when passing a slower car. If speed demons pile up while I am passing that is their problem. I return to the right after passing in a timely safe manner. Speeders should lose their licenses after the second violation.

I have a pretty good idea them's furriners when they make a  turn into the wrong lane. Just encountered a van blithely trundling on the left & coming straight at me. Driver looked very surprised to find me pointed at him (no Virginia, it was not a one way).

Have found it hard to be angry if laughing. Does tend to make the OD angry though.

Around here, go 1/2 mile in any direction and you are in at least a 45 zone. Still I tend to stay on the right unless coming up to a stop light and going straight (we have right on red here). When pulling a trailer, 65 is the max (ST tires) and I stay on the right. I'm comfortable over the ton and know my cars are capable. Other people/cars aren't.

ps when I see a car with a bad stop or taillight, I'll try to tell them. Most are thankful.

On freeways I always drive 5 below the limit. If everyone piles up behind me, tough luck. I am within the law as long as I'm driving the minimum speed. When I'm at a stop lite making a left turn I NEVER pull into the intersection so I can complete my turn on amber. Sometimes I have to sit through two or three light changes before I can turn. The guys behind me seem to get all upset but tough luck I am within the law. When I'm making a left turn I always put my directional on WAY before my turn and move over to the right. I figure it's safer that way. Sometimes on a two lane road I forget and leave my left signal on for miles and miles. I figure it keeps guys from trying to pass. Keeps them safer, you know. Oh, and I never pull into traffic if I even see another car coming. Safety first I say..

I'm guessing you guys must know me. I drive in every State and I'm sure you've been behind me.....................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

On freeways I always drive 5 below the limit. If everyone piles up behind me, tough luck. I am within the law as long as I'm driving the minimum speed. When I'm at a stop lite making a left turn I NEVER pull into the intersection so I can complete my turn on amber. Sometimes I have to sit through two or three light changes before I can turn. The guys behind me seem to get all upset but tough luck I am within the law. When I'm making a left turn I always put my directional on WAY before my turn and move over to the right. I figure it's safer that way. Sometimes on a two lane road I forget and leave my left signal on for miles and miles. I figure it keeps guys from trying to pass. Keeps them safer, you know. Oh, and I never pull into traffic if I even see another car coming. Safety first I say..

I'm guessing you guys must know me. I drive in every State and I'm sure you've been behind me.....................Bob

So, YOU'RE that guy!!! You must hang out in Oregon a lot....

• Like 1

Apparently truckers wishing to enter a thoroughfare should remain stopped until there is a mile of empty road which would probably happen every 3rd Wednesday at 3 AM.

Who do people blame when railroad crossing arms come down?

Undoubtedly there are inconsiderate truckers but with a "normal" driver/trucker comparison I'll put my money on truckers any time any where.

I've seen too many young snots (MOST of them young "women" although I rarely use that word in describing them) do WHATEVER it takes for them to get where they're going....... :angry:

Edited by cahartley (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Guest Skyking
10 hours ago, CarFreak said:

No surprise hearing these complaints from those on the coasts, east or west, Florida & Phoenix, overpopulated areas of too many 3rd world immigrants. 

No more than the sanctuary state of Rhode Island!

10 hours ago, CarFreak said:

No surprise hearing these complaints from those on the coasts, east or west, Florida & Phoenix, overpopulated areas of too many 3rd world immigrants. 

Traffic discussion with a dash of racism. Nice!

After following this thread for 3 pages, I see lots of anger, impatience, hatred, prejudice and the basis for road rage.  Perhaps courtesy,
an occasional YIELD, some understanding and a slower pace would lower all our blood pressure and extend our driving lives.  
A quiet drive in the country on a Sunday afternoon in an antique car on two lane roads is still very relaxing, take that feeling with you the rest of the time.

• Like 3

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 1:01 AM, helfen said:

No, I, for one, do not agree with a requirement for periodic vehicle safety and emissions testing.  The reasons that such inspections were discontinued here in Florida, is that they were horribly inconvenient and almost completely ineffective.  To go through the line at the better testing stations in Miami required 2 hours or more, and if something on the vehicle failed, that meant that more time had to be spent correcting the problem and on a re-visit.   Many vehicles that would otherwise fail an emissions test could be tweaked so that their emissions were TEMPORARILY within limits.  How do know this?  At the testing stations I was familiar with, men would be posted near the station exit with signs (phone numbers etc.) touting a guaranteed passing of the emissions test.   As to safety, the periodic inspections never seemed to keep the junkers off the roads: like cockroaches, they seemed to everywhere in South Florida.

Just sayin',

Grog

It was that bad everywhere but most of the state eliminated inspections around '81. Only 6 counties with pollution issues kept inspections into the '90s, Miami-Dade was one. One of the nice things about having 3,000 miles of Atlantic ocean to clear the air.

5 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Traffic discussion with a dash of racism. Nice!

I've read this topic over and over. Just what race did someone point out that you are referring to?

double_facepalm.jpg

The term third world arose during the Cold War to define countries that remained non-aligned with either NATO, or the Communist Bloc. The United States, Western European nations and their allies represented the First world, while the Soviet Union, China, Cuba, and their allies represented the Second World. Anyone else was in the third world.

4 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:
After following this thread for 3 pages, I see lots of anger, impatience, hatred, prejudice and the basis for road rage.  Perhaps courtesy,
an occasional YIELD, some understanding and a slower pace would lower all our blood pressure and extend our driving lives.  
A quiet drive in the country on a Sunday afternoon in an antique car on two lane roads is still very relaxing, take that feeling with you the rest of the time.

If you are going to try to bring Logic into the conversation we are not going to allow you to post! :)

4 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:
A quiet drive in the country on a Sunday afternoon in an antique car on two lane roads is still very relaxing, take that feeling with you the rest of the tim

You couldn't have said it better, Paul.

There's no need to take offense so often--

and I bet in real life, most of our members 

really are fairly patient and courteous.

1 hour ago, helfen said:

...European nations and their allies represented the First world, while the Soviet Union, China, Cuba, and their allies represented the Second World. Anyone else was in the third world.

As I understand it, it's the Old World (Europe and long-established Asia);  the New World (North and South America).

Then comes the Third World.  But this has nothing to do with enjoying driving, so I digress!

17 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:
A quiet drive in the country on a Sunday afternoon in an antique car on two lane roads is still very relaxing, take that feeling with you the rest of the tim

That works just fine for the quiet Sunday drive on a lightly traveled road (where the Hell do most folks find one). The problem is  most guys are driving with a purpose other than pleasure and are often hard pressed to get the mission accomplished in the allotted time. Contending with the driver out for a Sunday drive about on a busy road will not lower ones blood pressure and extend their lives. I would offer the opposite is true.

So the guys poking along in the name of making the roads safer are probably shortening others lives by hypertensive illness.

Damn inconsiderate, I say.................Bob

Edited by Bhigdog (see edit history)

1 hour ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

As I understand it, it's the Old World (Europe and long-established Asia);  the New World (North and South America).

Then comes the Third World.  But this has nothing to do with enjoying driving, so I digress!

I agree, I don't understand why Harwood had to start stirring the pot with race when someone else was talking about third world countries and their driving habits in the U.S., however the definition I gave of the world is well known and defined. Look it up and you can see. So you do see how this ( third world drivers) got injected into the topic don't you?

A FYI, most of you know there are many races in third world countries, and people who have immigrated from those countries to the U.S. have to take the same driving test we all do.