Driving Habits

X-Frame

Remember the days when you could take a leisurely and enjoyable drive to the grocery store?  Now you are always tense and on the defense...less than enjoyable.  Drivers have become, like society, all about ME.  I don't want to follow behind anyone.  I don't want to drive the speed limit.  I don't want to read signs.  In general, I don't adhere to the rules of the road as aggressive drivers.

I have been driving for the past 42-years and never had an accident (knock on wood).  The last ticket that I received was 30-years ago and not a moving violation (expired inspection sticker).  People say I drive like a grandpa but I follow the rules.  Do the speed limit (often set the cruise control on highways) while trying to keep the proper 1 car length for every 10-mph between cars (proper braking distance).  Stop completely at stop signs (not a rolling stop) while giving the proper right of way, etc... 

I am also an advocate of wanting to make people take a written driving test every time they renew their drivers license (every 10 years here) which will reeducate people.  One of my turn signal bulbs went out not long ago and I used the proper hand signals. Drivers around me didn't have a clue (in driving manuals).

Anyway, as I get older the less I enjoy driving because of all of the crazy people on the road. Even more so by those who are always on phones and don't use turn signals, blow through crossings, or don't pay attention to their surroundings.  Courteous drivers, are they a thing of the past?

Am I alone on this one?

Eric
  • Like 1

No, you are not alone but in a minority. Talk to any trucker about the folks that pull in front and slam on the brakes. And when I try to leave an adequate stopping distance on a 45 mph four lane, they use that space as a freeway.

Edited by Phillip Cole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Like you said. No one wants to follow. I don't think there is a trip I have made lately where I don't see some young girl either texting or doing their make up while driving.

Then when she is done will tail gate until she can pass me to only slow down again when she does another text.

There is a fairly major thoroughfare near me that funnels two lane into one as it enters a small town. Normally I woud expect one lane merge then the other and so on.

But I see some guys hug the bumper of the car in front of them so as to not give a guy his turn.

In my town there are three lanes thru the town that has the left lane end at one point. The commuters move to that left lane and run thru town at double the speed limit so that they can stuff their selves into that center lane and "me first" themselves jamming up the flow of traffic just to save one lights worth of time while the locals put thru town legally.

I pulled onto the highway in a thirty zone the other day and the lady that was going about 65 (and I did give her plenty of room should she slow down) rolled her window down and yelled at all the way thru town. It so happened that there was a man in the passenger seat and I asked him if he had to put up with that all of the time and he wouldn't answer.

Edited by JACK M (see edit history)
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, JACK M said:

Like you said. No one wants to follow. I don't think there is a trip I have made lately where I don't see some young girl either texting or doing their make up while driving.

Then when she is done will tail gate until she can pass me to only slow down again when she does another text.

There is a fairly major thoroughfare near me that funnels two lane into one as it enters a small town. Normally I woud expect one lane merge then the other and so on.

But I see some guys hug the bumper of the car in front of them so as to not give a guy his turn.

In my town there are three lanes thru the town that has the left lane end at one point. The commuters move to that left lane and run thru town at double the speed limit so that they can stuff their selves into that center lane and "me first" themselves jamming up the flow of traffic just to save one lights worth of time while the locals put thru town legally.

I pulled onto the highway in a thirty zone the other day and the lady that was going about 65 (and I did give her plenty of room should she slow down) rolled her window down and yelled at all the way thru town. It so happened that there was a man in the passenger seat and I asked him if he had to put up with that all of the time and he wouldn't answer.

Afraid to.

1 hour ago, Phillip Cole said:

No, you are not alone but in a minority. Talk to any trucker about the folks that pull in front and slam on the brakes. And when I try to leave an adequate stopping distance on a 45 mph four lane, they use that space as a freeway.

How about this one;

My complaint. 2 lane each direction. Speed limit 75mph. Approaching a large hill or mountain pass. There is five of you in the fast lane doing between 75-80. In front and in the rt. lane or slow lane are two semi tractor trailers or more starting to make the grade and they are two city blocks in front of you. They obviously knew you were fast approaching because they had to have looked to see if there was traffic so they could pass. One truck will pull into the fast lane knowing that their speed is going to be reduced because of the grade. The truck they are passing comes up even to them and then they sit side by side all the way over the summit and ever so slowly the passing truck overtakes the other and ever so slowly moves over. The driver knew these cars were coming at a high rate of speed but just had to do a bit of blocking. I have seen it so bad sometimes that these trucks will stay in the fast lane so long that cars start passing on the rt. side out of frustration. Sometimes the truck drivers will then try and pinch these cars passing on the rt.
Happens every day out there.

2 hours ago, X-Frame said:
Remember the days when you could take a leisurely and enjoyable drive to the grocery store?  Now you are always tense and on the defense...less than enjoyable. 
...Am I alone on this one?   Eric

I find driving enjoyable, whether on country roads, on local highways,

or on the interstates.  I try to keep to the legal speed limits, and

more cars pass me than I pass.

Surely, there are plenty of trucks on the big highways, and sometimes

drivers are thinking about their destinations and give less thought to other cars.

But there are plenty of courteous drivers who let you turn left, who wave to you

when you let them turn left, or who follow on highways at a proper distance.

Be thankful for every little courtesy you see, and don't let the boors ruin your day.

Life's glass is half full rather than half empty--and more realistically, it's full and running over.

Eric, maybe it depends on where you live.  Maybe it depends on your outlook, too.

But life is much better than feeling stressed when you take a drive to the grocery store.

2 hours ago, X-Frame said:
Remember the days when you could take a leisurely and enjoyable drive to the grocery store?  Now you are always tense and on the defense...less than enjoyable.  Drivers have become, like society, all about ME.  I don't want to follow behind anyone.  I don't want to drive the speed limit.  I don't want to read signs.  In general, I don't adhere to the rules of the road as aggressive drivers.

I have been driving for the past 42-years and never had an accident (knock on wood).  The last ticket that I received was 30-years ago and not a moving violation (expired inspection sticker).  People say I drive like a grandpa but I follow the rules.  Do the speed limit (often set the cruise control on highways) while trying to keep the proper 1 car length for every 10-mph between cars (proper braking distance).  Stop completely at stop signs (not a rolling stop) while giving the proper right of way, etc... 

I am also an advocate of wanting to make people take a written driving test every time they renew their drivers license (every 10 years here) which will reeducate people.  One of my turn signal bulbs went out not long ago and I used the proper hand signals. Drivers around me didn't have a clue (in driving manuals).

Anyway, as I get older the less I enjoy driving because of all of the crazy people on the road. Even more so by those who are always on phones and don't use turn signals, blow through crossings, or don't pay attention to their surroundings.  Courteous drivers, are they a thing of the past?

Am I alone on this one?

Eric

It just depends on where you live. I have no problem getting to any part of the city where I live in a calm state. We have plenty of courteous drivers.

Not in favor of a written test at time of renewal.

Not in favor of giving drivers licenses to people who are in the country illegally.- I have had no problem driving all through Europe, Canada or Mexico on a California drivers license.

Not in favor of traffic control traffic signals where one car stops at a intersection and electromagnetically triggers the traffic signals to stop cross traffic. What a waste of fuel and brakes making twenty cars in ether direction stop for one car to cross a intersection . 

In favor of setting traffic signals to a certain speed limit where by you can drive from one end of the city to the other without stopping for a red light. This system catches the speeders and the slow drivers until they figure out how to do it properly. Also this system SAVES FUEL. 

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

l live in Richmond, VA.

I can relate to the people who hurry up around you only to slow down.   We don't have 75 speed limits - top speed is 70 here and mostly 55-60 on highways except on rural stretches.  I am very conscious of speed and speed signs.  But apparently a lot of people don't care.  You can be approaching a construction zone where there is a reduced speed sign posted (60 mph for example) and will continue to do 80, trying to force you up the road and risk the $200 ticket for speeding through that area.  I see speed checked through aircraft signs all the time but have yet in all these years see an aircraft doing it.

As for the trucker that changed lanes and was then forced to slow down up a grade... that was just plain rudeness.  An unprofessional driver.

I hate people who will ride my bumper when I am already above the posted speed limit.  If it says 55-mph then you are supposed to do 55-mph.  I know most police will allow 5-mph over (which I will do) but 10 or above and caught will cost you on the ticket and points.  People who insist doing 80 in a 55 is just plain ridiculous and dangerous.  You will often see them making illegal repeated lane changes as well.   They rather be 5 feet on your rear bumper at 70-mph instead of allowing 7-car lengths so they won't crash into you but have room to stop in case of an emergency.  Then when you try to do the right thing, they won't let you by jumping in and closing that gap.  All falls into aggressive drivers.

The enjoyability factor diminished with aggressive drivers who rather cut you off, don't pay attention to their surroundings, speed, etc...  as opposed to the courtesy of watching out for the other driver.  It was more simple and leisurely - say, 40-50 years or more ago  than today.  Hell, you even take your own life in hand in parking lots. The spaces and lanes now to small and narrow with a lot of blind spots with the glut of SUV's when you drive a normal car 2 feet lower to the ground.

33 minutes ago, helfen said:

Not in favor of a written test at time of renewal.

Why would you be opposed to making sure you know the "proper" rules of the road and utilizing them?  Why not a test every 10 years?  We aren't talking once a year.  I don't consider it excessive or unreasonable.  People tend to electively forget the rules and I think a refresher is needed for everyone involved.

To say NO is almost like giving yourself a license to do whatever you want on the road which is part of aggressive driving.

Edited by X-Frame (see edit history)

13 minutes ago, X-Frame said:

l live in Richmond, VA.

I can relate to the people who hurry up around you only to slow down.   We don't have 75 speed limits - top speed is 70 here and mostly 55-60 on highways except on rural stretches.  I am very conscious of speed and speed signs.  But apparently a lot of people don't care.  You can be approaching a construction zone where there is a reduced speed sign posted (60 mph for example) and will continue to do 80, trying to force you up the road and risk the $200 ticket for speeding through that area.  I see speed checked through aircraft signs all the time but have yet in all these years see an aircraft doing it.

As for the trucker that changed lanes and was then forced to slow down up a grade... that was just plain rudeness.  An unprofessional driver.

I hate people who will ride my bumper when I am already above the posted speed limit.  If it says 55-mph then you are supposed to do 55-mph.  I know most police will allow 5-mph over (which I will do) but 10 or above and caught will cost you on the ticket and points.  People who insist doing 80 in a 55 is just plain ridiculous and dangerous.  You will often see them making illegal repeated lane changes as well.   They rather be 5 feet on your rear bumper at 70-mph instead of allowing 7-car lengths so they won't crash into you but have room to stop in case of an emergency.  Then when you try to do the right thing, they won't let you by jumping in and closing that gap.  All falls into aggressive drivers.

The enjoyability factor diminished with aggressive drivers who rather cut you off, don't pay attention to their surroundings, speed, etc...  as opposed to the courtesy of watching out for the other driver.  It was more simple and leisurely - say, 40-50 years or more ago  than today.  Hell, you even take your own life in hand in parking lots. The spaces and lanes now to small and narrow with a lot of blind spots with the glut of SUV's when you drive a normal car 2 feet lower to the ground.

Taking a drivers test every ten years won't fix the problems above. A good driver does not need to take s written test every ten years, however a bad driver with too many tickets could be a candidate.

Just last week I witnessed a driver in the Phoenix Metro area who was in the fast lane doing the speed limit in the fast lane and because he would not let traffic pass that was going ten over got a ticket. The law says you must move over no matter what speed the car behind you is going or wants to go. In other words you are not the policeman. You must not impede faster traffic.

If you are driving from L.A. to San Diego on the 5 FWY between San Clemente and Oceanside and are in the fast lane doing the speed limit then traffic will most certainly push you off the road. The speed limit is 65 but traffic is always if there are no accidents going between 80-90mph and the HYW Patrol knows it.  

Problem in Virginia, police are ticket happy but the other problem is finding a cop on the job because there is a need for more of them.

As for the 10-year test, that will help and supposedly for those who get caught in-between, are to go to the court appointed Traffic School.

On an interstate the most accident causing drivers are the ones who go the speed limit or below, try to stay 10 lengths behind the car in front, refuse to keep right because they are already going the speed limit, DAMMIT,  and so should everyone else, and are all befuddled and incensed because other drivers are not blindly adhering to one size fits all rules, etc etc etc. IMO the best and safest drivers are the ones who blend in the best and go with the flow........Bob

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

On an interstate the most accident causing drivers are the ones who go the speed limit or below, try to stay 10 lengths behind the car in front, refuse to keep right because they are already going the speed limit, DAMMIT,  and so should everyone else, and are all befuddled and incensed because other drivers are not blindly adhering to one size fits all rules, etc etc etc. IMO the best and safest drivers are the ones who blend in the best and go with the flow........Bob

I'll go one further to contemplate.  What if you are on a two lane road and the people in the right lane are going too slow and the people in the left too fast?

45 minutes ago, Bhigdog said:

IMO the best and safest drivers are the ones who blend in the best and go with the flow........Bob

Must disagree with you on this point, Bob.  I know that slow drivers

(most often trucks) can interrupt the flow of traffic;  but I read that the

most common EXCUSE that police hear from speeders is that,

"I was just keeping up with traffic."  That excuse doesn't work.

As much as we might like to test the limits of our cars occasionally,

driving enthusiasts have to follow the law as much as everyone else!  

Interstate 10 going through Phoenix is very dangerous....I know because I fix all the people who crash.  The posted speed limit is 65 but the flow of traffic, when not rush hour, is 80 mph and even 90 mph as you get out of down town.  If you were to follow the posted speed limit of 65  mph it would actually be quite dangerous as cars flew past you.  

Edited by BillhymerMD
Error (see edit history)
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, X-Frame said:

I'll go one further to contemplate.  What if you are on a two lane road and the people in the right lane are going too slow and the people in the left too fast?

Doesn't happen, Eric. Most are going, or want to go about 10+ over the limit. The slow ones in the right lane are causing lane changing, sudden braking and general disruptions to an orderly flow................Bob

2 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Must disagree with you on this point, Bob.  I know that slow drivers

(most often trucks) can interrupt the flow of traffic;  but I read that the

As much as we might like to test the limits of our cars occasionally,

driving enthusiasts have to follow the law as much as everyone else!  

Cops will pick off a driver for any number of reasons and going even slightly over the limit makes it an easy bust for the cop. ............Bob

27 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Not in favor of a written test at time of renewal. ...

Absolutely agreed with you, Mr. Helfen.

John, again, someone says they don't agree but did not say why?  Are you afraid of not passing?  Don't like tests?  Most people I talk to don't grasp the rules of the road like they should.   OK...

If I put my arm out of the window up in a 90-degree angle does that mean I am making a right turn or waving Hi to someone?

When you are at an intersection and a car is also stopped in the oncoming direction but making a left turn and you straight through, do I have the right of way or whoever gets through the intersection first wins?

When approaching a stop sign, if the person in front of you stopped, do you also stop or just roll on through with the car in front like you are an attached trailer?

At a crosswalk, the wide white line painted across your lane... do you stop with your front bumper over it or the middle of the car so your front end is out in traffic?

Just some stupid stuff I see and have encountered daily and there is a LOT more because people do not follow rules of the road.

23 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Must disagree with you on this point, Bob. ... the

Yeah, that is an old excuse people use that never works and don't know why they think the cops  haven't heard it before either?

My grandmother took a lot of pride in the fact that she never had an accident. As a child, I never really thought about it, but there were a lot of honking horns around her and I only put two and two together when I got older.

She was one of those drivers that is never actually involved in accidents but actually causes accidents in her wake. Her assumption was that she was the only person on the road who wasn't suicidal. She would stop suddenly and unpredictably if she saw someone doing something she thought was "sketchy" (like backing out of their garage--if you were backing out of your garage, she'd come to a full stop and honk at you to make sure you knew she was there, even though you might be 40 or 50 feet away and going in reverse). She would go the speed limit or even below--I don't know how fast she would drive when it was raining, but it was very S L O W. She would completely refuse to turn right on red. Changing lanes was an ordeal that often involved coming to a full stop and waiting for a large window of opportunity. The same was true with merging on the highway--dead stop at the bottom of the on ramp. And mind you, she wasn't old and befuddled when I was a little kid, she was maybe in her 50s. It wasn't that her faculties were impaired, she was just bad at driving.

Yet she had an unblemished driving record, never got a ticket, and never had a single vehicle-related incident of any kind. But I bet there were dozens of accidents left in her wake. I see drivers like this all the time blithely driving along, acting careful when in reality they are acting abnormal and unpredictable, causing the drivers around them to react and get confused. Doing the speed limit is great, but do it way over in the right lane, please. Don't worry about how fast I'm going, it's not your job to control what other people are doing. I tell my 7-year-old son to only worry about himself, and I'm tell you adults, too. Coming to a full stop at stop signs is smart, but once you start to go again, GO, don't hesitate or stop again. Don't slam on your brakes every time you see something out of the corner of your eye. Be predictable and as Bob Big Dog says, go with the flow. Speed differentials are what cause accidents, not just speed itself, and going notably slower than traffic, even if everyone else is speeding like lunatics, is far more dangerous than simply keeping up with the flow of traffic.

Don't be the one guy slicing through traffic, but don't be the rock in the middle of the stream, either. Both are equally dangerous.

17p628mwxidnyjpg.jpg

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)

22 minutes ago, BillhymerMD said:

Interstate 10 going through Phoenix is very dangerous....I know because I fix all the people who crash.  The posted speed limit is 65 but the flow of traffic, when not rush hour, is 80 mph and even 90 mph as you get out of down town.  If you were to follow the posted speed limit of 65  mph it would actually be quite dangerous as cars flew past you.  

To me that is lawlessness (the speeding)

12 minutes ago, X-Frame said:

To me that is lawlessness (the speeding)

Then you should learn to deal with it. You're far more dangerous going slower than everyone else, even if they're speeding. In an old car, I sort of get it, but if you're simply going slower than the herd because the law is the law and everyone else is turning your knuckles white by ignoring the law, well, I'm sorry, but YOU are part of the problem. Yes, in an ideal world, they should all get tickets and be punished for their lawlessness, but in reality, 95% of drivers will drive at a speed that is reasonable and prudent. The herd mentality rules and any traffic engineer will tell you that speed limits SHOULD be set at, say, the 95th percentile (the speed at which 95% of drivers naturally drive on a stretch of highway). However, cities that rely on traffic tickets for revenue set the limits artificially low. Yes, the law is the law, but it's what it is not for safety but for revenue purposes. Your intent is noble, but if you're the rock in the middle of the stream, even if the stream is made up of people breaking the law, you're the problem and you're the one creating a dangerous situation. Sorry.

Montana's no speed limits rule was fascinating. There was no daytime speed limit, yet people still cruised along at about 75 MPH. They could go 150 if they wanted to, but they didn't. The 95th percentile of ordinary, average America was going about 75 MPH. That was the comfortable, reasonable, and prudent speed that rational people chose to drive. That's how it should work, and how it works in traffic. Taking away speed limits won't turn highways into rivers of blood as everyone floors it at 150 MPH. Everyone will continue to drive about the same speed they do today. That's why they ignore the speed limit--it's lower than that comfort threshold and causes the same discomfort that going a little too fast causes you.

You're obeying the law, that's an unassailable position. Sadly, you're also part of the 5% that's making it dangerous for the other 95% of us. That 5% also includes the drunks and the lunatics going way too fast for conditions. Think about it...

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Speed is the not main problem.  The problem is most people today are distracted.  The smart phone is the main culprit but eating a double quarter pounder and fries while flying down the road at 80 mph doesn't help either.  I don't think making people take tests more frequently will make roads safer ...the distraction factor is going to be there.  The good news is that cars are so much safer today then they were even 10 years ago, and they'll be driving themselves soon enough anyway.  But for those of us driving our classics we will always have to be vigilant as hell.  

31 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:
31 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

You're obeying the law, that's an unassailable position.

I'll agree there but "speed" is only one aspect of poor driving habits.  Take my examples above and more.  More than speed causes accidents, even deaths.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BillhymerMD said:

Speed is the not main problem.  The problem is most people today are distracted.  The smart phone is the main culprit but eating a double quarter pounder and fries while flying down the road at 80 mph doesn't help either.  I don't think making people take tests more frequently will make roads safer ...the distraction factor is going to be there.  The good news is that cars are so much safer today then they were even 10 years ago, and they'll be driving themselves soon enough anyway.  But for those of us driving our classics we will always have to be vigilant as hell.  

Bill, just made a comment that "speed" is not the only factor and yes, with people who are totally obsessed with their phones only grows, so does that aspect of the equation.  There are so many other things daily drivers around town do that causes accidents and deaths because of their being dumbasses.  Will taking tests help?  It can't hurt because either you remember the rules and pass the test or loose your license because you don't.  People who get ticketed will often have to take classes.  The only difference is that one person got caught breaking the rules, the other didn't... yet.   But why put other people's lives at risk because of your ignorance?  That is the point I am trying to make.

X Frame, take a trip to where I live, Long Island, NY, "the Land of Entitlement". I had a cousin visit from New Mexico and said that she never saw so many Mercedes, Range Rovers and BMW's. They speed, park where they want and have no concern for you or your safety. If you try to drive the speed limit they pull up to your rear bumper and flash their brights. Double park and park in handicapped spots is normal. A $50 parking ticket to them is nothing.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

X Frame, take a trip to where I live, Long Island, NY, "the Land of Entitlement". I had a cousin visit from New Mexico and said that she never saw so many Mercedes, Range Rovers and BMW's. They speed, park where they want and have no concern for you or your safety. If you try to drive the speed limit they pull up to your rear bumper and flash their brights. Double park and park in handicapped spots is normal. A $50 parking ticket to them is nothing.

"the Land of Entitlement" goes hand-in-hand with one of my earlier statements about Generation X and Millennials who have no social skills.  When I grew up we were disciplined.  Today you end up in jail if you do which leads to kids that feel "entitled" and flows over to the "all about me" society.  I am not here to talk about parenting but just saying....

On a side note, there was two local news stories about companies who have 80% Millennial employees because they can get their skills cheap out the starting gate.  One concern was would they stay focus to work?  In their defense they said they would but also have things like ping pong tables, bean bag chairs, etc...  no "formal" skills to be in the "real" world but gives them an environment they are familiar with which is detached from it.  It is these cheap upstarts hurting senior workers, like me.

When driving and unlike this thread I have a goal:  Ignore anyone not pleased with my driving within reason of the speed limits.  

Peter J.

Sounds like a longing for the good old days when everyone obeyed the law, mom stayed home and baked apple pies, there were no drugs, sex, rock and roll, and everyone did the right thing. Good luck with that. Adapt or go the way of T-Rex................

The point of all of this is why have rules and not use them?  That is only one step away from anarchy.  Also, rules are in place to keep everyone safe, if they are followed.

Maybe there is a longing for the "good ol' days" but what is so "great" about today's dysfunctional antisocial society?  And no, social media does not count as being "social". 

Education.

3 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

I think so too, and sometimes depending on where your location is the slow driver creates the road rage. Do that in some parts of town and you can get shot.

27 minutes ago, X-Frame said:

The point of all of this is why have rules and not use them?  That is only one step away from anarchy.  Also, rules are in place to keep everyone safe, if they are followed.

Maybe there is a longing for the "good ol' days" but what is so "great" about today's dysfunctional antisocial society?  And no, social media does not count as being "social". 

Education.

Rules, laws and regulations are sometimes outdated, counter productive and were enacted with an ulterior agenda (red light cameras). Rather than blindly submitting  many choose to follow reason rather than  regulation, hence traffic flowing along safely with the majority doing 65 to 70 in a 55.

BTW. I also long for the "good old days" even though I suspect they were no "gooder" then than they are now, just different................Bob

• Like 2

7 hours ago, X-Frame said:

Education.

Having passed a driving test proves you know the rules of the road. Most people who are issued a citation know very good and well what they did was wrong-I said most. Rules are broken all the time and the most disturbing thing is kids see it and think it's OK.

Simple rules like taking a dog into a supermarket or restaurant pretending the dog is a service animal, a dog in a drivers lap while driving a car. Throwing trash in the street etc. I'm sure if you gave these people a test they could all pass a test. Cheating on your taxes, cheating on your wife or husband, I'm sure most people could have passed the morality test, but it still happens test or no. How many people think there should be a hygiene test before you enter a restroom? Many people know good hygiene, but how many people do you see not washing their hands after taking a trip to the rest room? 

Anarchy? We are almost there, we are a fraction of the way away. Have a financial meltdown and any civility will be gone.

Edited by helfen (see edit history)

I agree that it would not hurt to take a written test every 10 years.  If a resident of the USA, all tests should be in English.  Drivers' licenses should not be issued to those who are in the USA illegally. 

I live in Florida, where most secondary rural roads have speed limits of 55 mph, and some have limits as high as 60 mph.  Certain rural 4 lane divided highways (not limited access) have speed limits as high as 65 mph.  I tend to go the speed limit +5 mph and am especially careful to keep my speed up on narrow two lane roads where passing opportunities are limited.  Most of our interstates have a speed limit of 70 mph, and I usually run at around 75 mph. 

When towing my travel trailer or box trailer, I try to maintain the 55 mph speed limit on two lane roads having limited passing opportunities; however on the Interstate (or Florida Turnpike) where the speed limit is 70 mph, I usually go along at 68 mph (IN THE RIGHT LANE).  I've noticed that at 68 mph on a 70 mph Interstate, about 80% of the traffic passes me, and I wind up passing 10-15% of the rest.  Of course, I'll bump my speed up to 75 mph or so to clear the left lane as quickly as I can. The remaining 5% are those going close to my speed, and I'll usually just follow them at a comfortable distance.  Another benefit of going about 68 mph on the Interstate is that you can be much more relaxed.

As for those who ride the left (fast) lane blocking faster traffic, may your grits turn to cement and your beer go flat!

Just my opinion.

Drive safely,

Grog

Anybody ever see the white sign that says "Keep Right Except to Pass"?   It does not say "unless you are going the speed limit.".

Anybody ever see the white sign that says "Slower Traffic Keep Right".?    It does not say "unless you are going the speed limit."

White signs are LAW, Yellow signs are cautionary and suggested limits.

Ever been passed on the right by somebody driving like a Pac Man Game.?

I have never seen a sign that says "Obstruct Speeders" or "Run Barricades" 

Why does the person on the on ramp at 30 MPH never look to "Merge"?

Ever notice that the AH in city traffic who drives like an idiot, ends up beside you at the next light?

Why does the old guy in the left lane with his left turn signal on always turn right?

Why does the kid in front if you never see the light change to green?

If some fool cuts you off, why does he flip you a bird?

With so many concealed weapons permits, I'm glad my horn doesn't work.

It's a crazy world out there and my aim is to avoid accidents and live to drive another day.

Edited by Paul Dobbin
missing text (see edit history)

Guest Skyking

Apparently, none of you people ever drove in Rhode Island.  If you can drive here you pass the test to drive anywhere in the world!

3 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

I too reside on this overpopulated island, i have heard the same comments about the high end cars all over the place when people come to visit. (I am guilty of that myself, my wife always had a new Cadillac every 3 years), I never viewed owning a new luxury car as self entitlement, I always owned one because I can! But yes, it is "the land of self entitlement" for many reasons populated by a bunch of self absorbed (fill in the word). It has become so important to text or return a text as soon as they get one. Every time I stop at a traffic light I look around and notice 8 out of 10 drivers pick up their phones to do something on it, why? I am pretty sure that not everyone has something that urgent going on in their life. I drive the I-95 corridor from NY to FL 4 times a year, truck drivers seem to be the biggest offenders to using cell phones while driving.

I hate to drive around here, as a matter of fact I absolutely can not stand driving around here anymore. Maybe part is I have become a grumpy old man. I have a home in Florida and I am not big fan of driving there either. Turn signals are an option, and tailgating appears to be mandatory.

The roads were built in a time when each household had only one vehicle, now every person in every house has their own vehicle, this is pretty much the case everywhere, way too much cars on the road, The roads are pounded to death here. You can not drive more then 50' without feeling a thud or a bang from the under repaired over used roads. Hard to believe that I live in one of the top 10 highest taxed counties in the entire nation. The roads can never be repaired correctly because the volume will not allow for them to be shut down for the time required to do so.

When 2001 A Space Odyssey came out I like everyone else did not understand it. Instead of depending on "Hal" we have created a generation that has become dependent to their cell phone. When we were 3-5 years old we were given toy cars, trucks and planes, My 3 year old granddaughter has a toy cell phone. I know I am ranting about cell phones, but they have become a big problem on the road. 

I had a 31 Chevrolet that I sold because we almost got broadsided by someone in a BMW on a cell phone. Everytime I used hand signals to turn people thought I was waving at them, sometimes worse.

Great topic X frame, you allowed me to vent, thank-you

By the way double parking is a greater NY phenomenon, sort of a way of life

Edited by John348 (see edit history)