Hydrolectric pump very noisy

Hans1965

Hi guys, I have encountered a couple of problems with my Buick and looking for friendly advice here.  The hydrolectric pump in my '53 Roadie is getting quite noisy and I want to repair it. Does anybody know about typical reasons or if and where there is a repair kit available? I had to exchange one line to the right rear window cylinder and I wonder how you get the remaining air out of the system. 

Thank you very much for any advice. The pump was noisy even before .

Thanks everybody! 

Best regards, 

Hans 

I do not know how to bleed your system.  But before rebuilding the pump I would definitely bleed it.  While the convertible top system on my 69 is no where near as intricate as your vehicle, I would note that my pump was also very loud when I got the car.  Bleeding the system took half the noise out.  New mount insulators took out the 2nd half of the noise.

They tend to be noisy when they are low or out of fluid. It will be messy, but you can bleed the system by loosening the fittings at each junction, especially the ones where the hydraulic cylinders attach to the hydraulic feed lines. If air and bubbles come out, you are doing some good. If only fluid comes out, tighten it back up and don't loosen that one any further. If there is air in the hydraulic pump. just running the pump with a reservoir full of fluid will fix that.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

8 hours ago, Hans1965 said:

...Looks like there is no obvious thing I overlooked. I will try that way of bleeding the system, another chance to get covered by sweet brake fluid.  :wacko:

Why are you using brake fluid in your system? 

You might have quieter results with a heavier weight ATF or hydraulic jack juice. Even though your Roadie isn't a convertible, some of the suggestions in this link are applicable for your four windows and front seat operation. Note that they don't recommend filling the reservoir to the top either.   http://www.hydroe.com/Tips_-_Cylinders__amp__Pumps.html 

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"