odometer

Guest GregTC

Guest wheelsport

The gears are nylon and shouldn't need lube. I have done three sets of odo gears and have used any lube. I imagine if you feel you need to use a lube, I suggest the lube used with old style distributor point.

I NEVER put any grease, vaseline or any other sort of lubricant on the gears. I have repaired dozens of odometers, and have yet to have a failure and that includes my 281 thousand mile TC.

Guest GregTC
On ‎5‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 11:49 PM, Hemi Dude said:

I NEVER put any grease, vaseline or any other sort of lubricant on the gears. I have repaired dozens of odometers, and have yet to have a failure and that includes my 281 thousand mile TC.

Help I have installed the new gears in my odometer WITH OUT ANY LUBE I do have 2 speedometer heads and I put new gears in both I tried to make sure that both were clean of any broke gear fragments and any other foreign objects by air blowing them out. Now to the trouble I'm have is they work only for a few  miles one of them did work for 200 miles, I did disassemble and checked them out multiple time and still the same problem has any one else had these issues and any suggestion's

Thanks

GregTC    

• 4 weeks later...
Guest wheelsport

I had the same problem that Greg has. I could never get the odo to work no matter how many times I took it apart and attempted to clean it. With all the messing around I did the speedometer quit working too. I finally bought another speedo head. I'm certain that a small piece of whatever was lodged in the unit somewhere.

Guest GregTC
8 hours ago, wheelsport said:

I had the same problem that Greg has. I could never get the odo to work no matter how many times I took it apart and attempted to clean it. With all the messing around I did the speedometer quit working too. I finally bought another speedo head. I'm certain that a small piece of whatever was lodged in the unit somewhere.

Up date what I found was the problem was the speed sensor even though the speedometer still worked it turned out the sensor wasn't putting out a strong enough signal once I replaced the sensor the odometer work great