Disc brake conversion

buick5563

Bye bye originality. I'm so sick of these drum brakes. They are so dangerous. You don't even have to maintain disc brakes. The engineers would have used discs if they had known the benefits in 1955.

Sorry if this offends the purists.

image.jpeg

2 hours ago, wndsofchng06 said:

I plan to put front discs on mine, but nothing is maintenance free!  What is that disc on?

For sure it is not on a GM car unless it is from the early 70's because GM to the best of my knowledge has only used 5 bolt wheels since the late 70's or early 80's.  Also this vehicle uses bolts, not studs like I think all of the domestic manufacturers have used for ever. (almost)

My guess looking at the picture is it is on an import.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)

Yeah, 4 bolt screams F*rd or import (although S-Series Saturns did use the same 4 bolt pattern as Honda), but I'm pretty sure those holes are tapped, so that goes back a ways.

A few years ago, a gal pulled up to the curb across the street and her little Honda was making a terrible racket.  From a distance it seemed she had just had a blowout, and she was completely beside herself.  I went over to help her out and found she only had 2 studs out of four (and not opposites) to hold a front wheel on.  With an uneasy feeling, because stud replacement was already farther than I had time to get into at this point, I removed the wheel assembly and her rotor looked just like this (only the floating ring wasn't as nicely concentric as shown the picture).  That was before Facebook exploded (I think I had an account then, but didn't really use it), so I didn't think to whip out my phone and snap a pic to publicly shame her.

I told her I was sorry, but I was done.  I could not in good conscience return this car to service, she needed to call a tow truck.

She kinda got snippy with me at that point, saying the car drove just fine the way it was and she just needed help getting the spare on.  I walked away. 

• Like 1

(kids)

One time, one of our techs said "Come look at this . . ."  It was a front brake rotor with the inside contact (smooth) surface gone, leaving the cooling ribs exposed to the brake pad, which was completely gone.  The customer mentioned NOTHING about noise when braking, just a "pull".  I wondered how (the customer) managed NOT to hear the noise or feel any vibration when stopping??  And THEN complained when it cost more than the (chain store shop) price of $29.95 for pad replacement, as advertised on the radio, tv, and newspapers.  BUT it got fixed correctly BEFORE it left our shop -- period.

NTX5467

23 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

(kids)

One time, one of our techs said "Come look at this . . ."  It was a front brake rotor with the inside contact (smooth) surface gone, leaving the cooling ribs exposed to the brake pad, which was completely gone.  The customer mentioned NOTHING about noise when braking, just a "pull".  I wondered how (the customer) managed NOT to hear the noise or feel any vibration when stopping??  And THEN complained when it cost more than the (chain store shop) price of $29.95 for pad replacement, as advertised on the radio, tv, and newspapers.  BUT it got fixed correctly BEFORE it left our shop -- period.

NTX5467

I have see this more than once with only the cooling ribs showing.  Scarry!!.