Help! Sun Visor won't stay up

adoldfield

Looking for advice on repair of sun visor on 75 LeSabre convertible. Passenger side sun visor won't stay in the "up" position. Is there a sleeve or spring that needs replacement?

I have loosened the adjustment screw - should the visor slip off at this point? I don't want to pull on it so hard that I break something.

Thanks

Alan Oldfield

BCA #15140

The actual "rod" which the sun visor rotates on is about 4" long, so past that the support is a tube inside of the visor itself.  On the end with the adjustment screw, there is a small, thin, usually clear/white bushing that is inserted into the visor's "tube".  It is slotted length-wise rather than being solid where it contracts the sun visor "support".  I believe there is also a thin "flange" end on it to keep it at the edge of the sun visor tube.

Loosen or remove the adjustment screw and slide (might take a little gentle force, kind words, and effort) it off of the sun visor's support.  The bushing should slide out.  Might need a thin rod with a hook on the end to help it along.  The sleeve should be about 3/4" long, or there abouts.  The diameter of the sun visor support's rod are pretty much common in GM (and probably other brands, too).  Some years of the GM parts catalogs listed them, but other model years did not.  Kind of like the "silencer" for the door striker bolt.  So, getting into the parts group for "Sun Shade", then looking at the part numbers and descriptions in that and the next group up should yield the sleeve part number.  The dealer can then search via their OEM Connection parts locator to see where some might be stocked.  Otherwise, you can then put it into the search database of PartsVoice.com.

I'm not sure if GM might still "service" that particular item.  Bad thing is that their minimum pack quantity is probably "10" or so, just to get one.  Its also somewhat possible that it might be in the Dorman "HELP" parts selection catalog.  It's one of those little things that you don't know is "in there" until you have to look for it and don't want to succumb to purchasing a new sun visor (back when we could still get them for that model year).  Some of the illustrations for the sun visor and support MIGHT show it as other illustrations might not.  Not consistent and probably depended upon who did the illustration.  Might take some "digging" to find it, putting in different model years of B-Cars and C-Cars to find the illustration and related parts listing . . . BUT they were there ( I know from experience),   Might need to vary the model year and Body Series  in the current computerized parts database at the dealership or even look for the same part on a C/K pickup application.

If you have any problems, send me a PM and I'll look further.

NTX5467