Ben Bruce aka First Born

Modified 263 for my 1950 41D

49 minutes ago, Buicknutty said:

Congrats, Ben. Glad she worked well for you. That's really good mileage too.

Keith

Thank you, Keith. Really as looking forward to you being at the Nationals.

Ben

We are going nuts getting ready for our final move one week today, but as life settles down, I am planning to attend next year's National. Hopefully nothing will conspire against me.

It would be great to meet you, and many of the others here, and renew old Buick friendships.

Keith

Edited by Buicknutty (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hi Ben,

just found this post as I don’t look at this site much, but will in future.🙂🙂🙂🙂

Just want to say I admire your courage and determination to keep at George after a few set backs,  More importantly the courage to post not only the wins but the LOSSES.

Think many would have just stopped posting here after a few problems, especially when they found a crack in the bore. But in reality sh#@$$&$t happens and we get on with it.

And if we all learn something from the life experiences of others ....... 🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

And on another note, when I first got my ‘38 Special, thought how wonderful it would be to fit the body onto a Riviera chassis and drive train. The ‘66 Riviera (which I don’t got) is very close in wheel base ......so my ‘63 gave a big sigh of relief 😉😉😉

Ah well, am enjoying the read

Rodney from down under 😀😀😀😀

• Thanks 1

Ben,

Haven't checked the Modified site for a couple months (at least) and after reading about off setting the sleeve in the offending cylinder I had to go to the storage shed to see if the 263's have a floating wrist pin---they do. IIRC there is at least an 1/8" between the rod top sides and the inside of the wrist pin boss; way enough for sleeve offset. Finally got the automatic OD problem in my 37 solved for a measly $350 plus another set of bands and clutches so ready for Bug Tussle. That *%#& TV (throttle valve) cable now just selects shift points and has nothing to do with clutch/band pressure since I'm running a TCI constant pressure valve body (that's where the $'s went". My hind sight is on par with you on "shoulda done". A/C kept up fine with this months111 degrees so the last weekend in August doesn't scare me a bit.

Got two racks and plenty of gear lube so if you can leak your way to Trenton you can top it off and do the same after the Bug Tussle Trek. I guess that would be in 100 mile segments. Can't help with the oil on floor pan and back end but do have a pressure washer.

Hi Ben ! Glad to see you are planning more road trips. You are very fortunate that you can drive them, and also are still able to work on them. I hope to still be able to drive the old Cadillacs by the time I am 80. That is when the'24 will be 100 years old. Really great work you have done. And the relief, pride, and satisfaction that you must feel now is a tremendous reward. Many miles of safe, comfortable trouble free motoring to you, Ben !   -  Carl 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Don't be fooled---He's not 80; He's 81 years, 6 months, and 26 days old. Ask me how I know? Is NOT an old man that putts along in the right lane so whatever the traffic is running at the old Buick runs right with it with zero strain.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mcdarrunt said:

Don't be fooled---He's not 80; He's 81 years, 6 months, and 26 days old. Ask me how I know? Is NOT an old man that putts along in the right lane so whatever the traffic is running at the old Buick runs right with it with zero strain.

Telling our secrets, Evan.

I THINK the torque ball is leak free. Time will tell. Now if my bride can/will make the trip. Or someone stay with her. 

Ben

• Like 1

Ben,

You may be more ready than me---still shift problems. I WILL go since I can pick my shift points by manually moving the shift lever. I hope you can make it and of course the shop is at your disposal for any "tweaks" you may need. Shop is just 12 miles from the starting point in Farmersville. Complimentary breakfast provided but most interesting to us old farts is the Audie Murphy Memorial smack dab in the middle of main street. His sister still lives there.

• Thanks 1