Modified 263 for my 1950 41D

I have decided, in my 2nd [or 3rd] childhood, to "HOP UP" a 263 for my '50. The plan is custom pistons for a bore as large as practical. Cam grind for better performance. A little head work. 

To start of, I acquired a 1951 263 from Evan Ritter over in East Texas. It has been sitting in his shop for several years. He said 17. It is from a Dynaflow car, but he had a standard crank. I will need a Bell Housing and flywheel. Looks like that will come from Pete Phillips.  Need a few lifters, fortunately, Bill Stoneberg came to the rescue.  

Pictures of the Engine as found.   A little grotty!.  Just a LITTLE rust.   I have seen worse oil pans.    I will attempt, over the next few days, to bring this up to date

Enjoy

Ben

249.JPG

250.JPG

252.JPG

260.JPGJust a LITTLE rust

271.JPG

273.JPG

277.JPG

Edited by First Born (see edit history)
  • Like 6

After dis assembly, the block and head made the trip to the machine shop. Al is just a few years my junior and has been a motorhead almost all his life. He was a noted drag racer and engine builder in his younger years. 

The block has been bored .125 over. Actually, 85mm. This will give about 285 ci. Pistons and rings are in the pipeline, due around 1st of June. Pistons are supposed to give about a 9.5/1 cr.    Crank is ready!   Mains .020, rods .010.  Mains would have done .010 but bearings were not available.  Bearings are here from Terrell Machinery in De Leon, TX. As well as timing chain, cam gear, cam bearings and crank gear.  Terrell has the water pump as well.

I have done the oil pump and rocker arm assembly. On the shelf awaiting their time.

Speaking of oil pump. I am planning on a full flow filter system. I have read several articles on how to do that. I would like to hear from any of you out there that has done this modification.  Are you happy with it?  Disappointed? 

How is this for an up to date tool??

Ben

284.JPG

• Like 4

Not much to report.  I did get the water pump back from Terrell. A thing of beauty. 

I had to lick my calf over on the rocker arm assembly.  Sort of.  I had forgotten to clean the oil passages in each of the rocker arms. And did they need cleaning!So glad I remembered when I did. 

Received update from piston builder and cam grinder.  Pistons scheduled for manufacturing about May 24.  Cam grinder has checked and surfaced the lifters and will be on the cam shortly.

Now !   How about some help from some one out there?  I believe I will air condition the car. And perhaps power steering.  I would REALLY, REALLY like to see some compressor mounts/brackets and PS pump mount/brackets you have used. I hate reinventing the wheel [  oops, the brackets] Some pics of said brackets off the engine and on the engine without pump and compressor would be wonderful.  

Ben

• Like 3

10 hours ago, First Born said:

I had to like my calf over on the rocker arm assembly.  Sort of.  I had forgotten to clean the oil passages in each of the rocker arms. And did they need cleaning!So glad I remembered when I did. 

Ben

For you non rural's, what Ben means is... he had to "lick"  that calf over again, in other words he didn't get the rocker arm assembly clean enough the first time so had to do it over again. Don't know how many times I heard my mom say that when I was growing up, especially about cleaning my room.  

Sounds like that '50 is on the way to becoming a full fledged restomod Ben...COOL!!!!

Edited by MrEarl
stupid typos (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Lamar, thank you for proof reading. 

I do not intend to do any thing that can not be bolted or unbolted. Thinking an AC unit that hangs under the dash. Think a Mark IV.  Power steering will be a "ram" similar  to early vetts. All bolt on. Steering column  will be untouched. And a very astute straight eight lover will , in all probability, be the only one to notice the engine change. Except for manifold, EFI and HEI.

Gary, all I have found from Vintage is universal brackets that have to be modified. Just hoping to see what others have done. I have seen a couple of installations, but the brackets are always hidden by the compressors.  

Thanks to both of you

Ben

• Like 1

Chins up! If it was too easy every tuner drivin' kid would be snapping these oldies up and putting in a wankle engine and a fart pipe!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Been two weeks!!  Too busy having FUN. Not.  Our son was helping remodel wifey's bathroom. CORRECTION!  I was helping him. I cannot cut a straight line in a piece of lumber with a table saw.

Smitty [Dale] , I thought I answered your crank weight question, but do not see it on here.   Probably did not "submit".

So, I do not know. More than this old fart wants to try lifting. The engine hoist handles it, though.

Brought the cleaned, bored block home. Pistons have been made. Fitting new pins, last I heard. I was hoping they are "in the mail" but no such message has arrived.

We , son and I, did get a trailer hitch installed so the tear drop can be pulled. 

Pictures as soon as I can get them downloaded.

Later

Ben

• Like 1

I believe I read once that the big straight eight crank weighs 113 pounds, could be wrong.

Keep on, KEEPING ON, YOU look good standing near the VISOR, don't ya just hate me?  

I'm watching, so keep the info/pictures coming. 

Cutting a STRAIGHT line on the table saw,,,,,,,well that's what the fence is for, hehe.

Dale in Indy

A small update. Some GOOD and a little bad.

The block is home. Washed and primed. Will paint final color after assembly.

Yesterday I received the msg "pistons were picked up by UPS".  Arrive Friday. Happy days.

About lunch time today, while having coffee with my bride of 40 years, received a call from machine shop that is doing the head. Oh boy, things are falling into place!  NOT.   #1 exhaust valve seat is cracked.  I have located a head at good ole Pete's.  A '53, but it should work. Hope to get it early next week. Maybe the flywheel and housing as well.  Then the only unknown is the cam. I have sent an e mail to D Elgin, requesting an update. Hope to hear soon.

Sorry, still have not downloaded pics. Can you say "procrastinator"?

Ben

Edited by First Born
sp (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Me again, folks!

Pistons came in Friday. Beautiful!  Heavier than I expected. But they are beautiful. If a piston can be beautiful.

054 - Copy.JPG

Water jacket looks much better.

044.JPG

Water pump from Terrell.

024.JPG025.JPG

Waiting still for the cam.  Saturday will go to Pete's and hopefully come home with some more parts. 

I can't seem to get the pics in the post, just at the end, but you can see them any way. I hope.

Ben

Edited by MrEarl
put pics with text (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Ben I moved the pics around for you...  did you try placing your cursor below the text where you wanted the picture then clicking the add ( + ) button on the file picture?

You sound like a kid at Christmas. And yes pistons can be pretty and them are. ;)

Thank you, Bill. May try that. 

Had a successful day at Pete's  yesterday. Came home with a head , flywheel and flywheel housing. Pressure plate and clutch disc as well. May not use them, though. Will look in to using a more modern pressure plate.

I have to tell on us. Forgive me, Pete.   We had to remove the flywheel and cover from the engine. And like two old pros, we started WRONG. There is a reason the shop manual is there. READ the darn thing and then REMEMBER!  There are two bolts, up inside the flywheel housing that can only be removed after the flywheel. I knew this. So remove the fly wheel. Only the flywheel will not come off the bolts holding it to the crank. Just not enough room. May have to grind the bolts off. Surely the engineers did not intend that. Besides, how did they get them in there?   Solution??  Read the shop manual. Again.   " to remove the flywheel , the rear main cap MUST be removed".   Then the fly wheel to crank bolts will come out, the fly wheel will almost fall off.  I KNEW THAT. [ SLAP TO FOR HEAD]   I found that out when assembling the 248 in my car now, after installing the oil pan!  For goodness sakes, old man THINK.   So, re move the oil pan, rear main cap, which by now had a couple bolts,   that we had tried to knock out ,  hanging it up. Then all went as it should.  Just a couple of oily hours and a smashed thumb longer than need be. 

But a good day with Pete and a good Mexican meal next door. If only I was a couple hours closer.

Thanks, Pete

Ben 

• Like 1

Neat sounding project, Ben. Just tonight I was talking about how much fun it would be to "build" one of these straight eights and hang some modern go fast stuff on it!

Dale, the crank, at least on my 320 is over 100 lbs, I'm sure the smaller engine is only a bit lighter. Never been a weight lifter, and I'm too old to start! That's why I have a young and fit son in law. I did some body work on his old beater, and he does me the odd favour helping me with heavy lifts.

Keith

• Like 1

Thanks ,Keith

Still not much to report. I have taken the rotating "assembly" to the machinist who did the crank for balancing. Last word on the cam was "maybe" next week. Not much I can do until these two things are complete.

Still trying to figure out the brackets for AC compressor and PS pump.

Ben

Brackets, have you check with VINTAGE AIR?

They seem to have explored a ton of different engines, MAYBE.

My 41 has air, but NO STRAIGHT EIGHT,  hehe.  For some reason, I JUST don't see YOU doing a Vette engine swap, NO I just don't see that happening.  

Dale

Probably not on the CHEVY swap!!  But what better car to do it on?  Four door, universally looked down on. Special, bottom of the line. But I will stay with the REAL BUICK engine.  IF I was to swap engines into an old Buick, would probably be a Nailhead.  Maybe a 500 CI Cadillac. CHEVY????  NEVER.

Ben

• Like 3

Proceed I did. Slightly.  NOT over the long weekend, though.   Tuesday morning I took a copy of the cam card to the machine shop so they can finish the head.   Came home and proceeded to drill holes in the block.   Kinda sorta.   I decided a long time ago to modify the oil system into a full flow filtering system.  So, therefore, drill some holes!!   Pictures later.

Now ,if I can get myself organized, on to assembly.  Head should be completed this week,  Hopefully the rotating assembly will be balanced as well.  Then throw it together!!

Ben

• Like 3

Ben, YOU are going to fool around and end up KNOWING what you are doing.

Don't ya just love doing those tasks that you don't know how to do?  I do, they are such a LEARNING EXPERIENCE.

Keep on progressing, and say HI, to the 'visor' for me, huh?

Dale in Indy

• Like 1