what is bing crosby driving?

Linus Tremaine

5 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

The mystery car is a '32. Keiser's pic is a '33. Hard to be certain exactly which model but more likely a Flying Cloud than a Royale, from the shorter wheelbase.  Probably a rare car even when new,

All of the 1932s I see have a rectangular reveal around the hood vents and rounded windshield corners at the top, but a lot of it does look more like 1932 than 1933.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

19 minutes ago, Dave Mellor NJ said:

32 Flying cloud matches up pretty well

image_large.php?image_id=680609

I see quite a few differences....hood sides, belt molding, hubcaps, fender mounted lights, grille, windshield not slanted....

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

This picture of a 1932 "Reo Flying Cloud Sport Convertible Coupe" shows the same round hood vent pull knobs seen on Bing's Reo.

Pic comes from a "1932 Reo Flying Cloud Mailer Brochure" for sale on ebay.

Just noticed a "gotcha", Bing's Reo doesn't have suicide doors..oh well!

1932 reo.jpg

Edited by drwatson (see edit history)

It would seem that Reo may have changed individual features one by one.  Looking at a few pics on the net I see a progression from 1930 to 1933 of the radiator, hood louvres, windshield style and door hinges with a mix of each on different cars.  From this I guess that Bing's car is a late 1932/early 1933 as the door hinges at the rear look to be a 1933 feature.   From this one   -  

everything is that same as Bing's except the radiator. I also see that comment with the '33 pic that there were several variants.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, D Yaros said:

I do not know about car, but do have trouble recognizing the  driver as Bing Crosby?

Just Google "Bing Crosby and car photo" and see that photo a few times.