Cleaning paint off of pot metal

1940TORPEDO

I am wanting to strip the paint off my taillight stand/bracket. It is pot metal so I'm guessing I don't want to sand blast it. What is the best was to strip the paint without hurting the metal? I'm a fair mechanic but when it comes to body and paint work I'm afraid I am lacking.

Thanks,

Allen

20160426_194123.jpg

Edited by 1940TORPEDO
ggg gg (see edit history)

Why not use good old paint remover. I can understand not wanting to sandblast it, but if you can find a shop that does bead blasting, I agree that would be the way.

3 minutes ago, 46 woodie said:

Why not use good old paint remover. I can understand not wanting to sandblast it, but if you can find a shop that does bead blasting, I agree that would be the way.

I could do that as I have a few cans. Reading the cautions on the back made me wonder. It gave many cautions concerning objects that it could be applied to. If it was steel or some other ferrous metal I'd have no objections and dive right in but with being pot metal I'm guess I'm being overly cautious.

I've always wanted a blast cabinet, now I have one more reason to get one. 

Rather then glass beads I use aluminum oxide in my blast cabinet, gives a very fine clean surface to the metal . Just make sure you get all traces of the fine powder left in crevices out - take outside and blow off with an air hose. Make sure you don't get any in your eyes blowing it off.

I like the orange citrus paint remover from places like Lowes. It won't burn you and works well. It is about 20 bucks a quart and I always have some on the shelf. They make a neutralizer but soap and water works fine.

Bernie

• Like 1

I don't think you would have a problem even sandblasting it if your media wasn't too coarse.  Worn sand would work great.  You want a somewhat rough surface for the primer to adhere to. I would wash with water from a garden hose with some pressure rather than just blow the dust off as it cleans much better.  You don't get the fine dust residue out with just air pressure. 

Just what I would do. I'm sure there are many methods that will garner similar results. 

I'm dealing with some pot metal parts now, I'd be scared to sandblast, and even media (black diamond etc.) is very aggressive.

Pot metal was a cheap mixture of metals, low melting point (700 degrees or so) thus easy to work and cast...with no thought to those of us, 50 or 80 years later, wanting to restore. 

I've recently been working on a mid-30's car, some pot metal parts, and if you don't hold your mouth right or your tongue in your cheek at the correct angle, it'll fracture.  The most gentle tap can lead to numerous exclamations regarding Hades, family trees, and other cursed items.

Beadblast gently.  Sandblast no. Paint remover, scotch brite, patience, yes.....

This looks like a 40's piece to me.  I know the stuff from the 60's fender extensions in particular are very tough.  This piece doesn't look real fragile like the 30's parts you are referring to.  Especially those door handles and hood ornaments from that time period that literally disintegrated new in the box.   I guess it's all in technique and care.  2 guys can use the same materials and method.  One will destroy the piece the other will make it look like new. 

Edited by auburnseeker (see edit history)