Interesting Pictures - Derelict Buick

Kaftan

Hi all -
Here's some interesting pictures I thought I'd share.  I found this car husk while I was wandering through northeast Montana a few years ago - wheel caps indicate it was a Buick, ha!

Anybody interested in restoration project?? Just needs some TLC!! :P

large.571f7aa3ab1bf_(2013-09-02)002Buick.jpg

large.571f7aa785867_(2013-09-02)003Buick.jpg

large.571f7aac1151b_(2013-09-02)004Buick.jpg

• Like 3

I like these kind of photos.  Reminds me of the one a while back of the chassis sinking in a swamp in Canada that was posted.

It's a 6 cylinder because of the catilever rear springs.  4 cylinder Buicks have 'typical' leaf springs with a perch at both ends.

The rear end of the frame horn is not like my 23-45 so what is it?  There is what appears to be a cover or shield for the gas tank between the two frame horns that a 23-45 also does not have.

A pick of the front axle would help since front brakes started in 1924.

Ok, who else sees something?  Leif?  You are the King.

• Like 2

It is 1923 or later because of the lettering style on the hubcap.  1922 was the last year for block lettering.  1923 was the first year for the underlined script.  Brian says the rear frame horns do not look what is on his '23-45.  If there was just a tad bit more showing us pre-war guys could nail it down to the color it left the factory with.  I'll bet Dandy Dave knows but he just ain't talking.

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah America

Rats, and I was just in that area the other week!!  Ah well - next time I'm in the vicinity, I'll see if it's still there and get a couple more pictures.  Ha, seeing as how it doesn't appear to have been moved in decades, I'd wager it's still there :).  Still, though - impressive detective work so far!!  You gents already narrowed it down substantially!

• Like 1

The lack of damage to the hubcaps makes me think they are nickeled brass.  Kaftan if you ever get back there, take a tape measure and measure the wheel diameter and the wheelbase - distance from front to rear axles.

I searched '1924 Buick chassis' and found this   -    http://www.buickheritagealliance.org/assets/content/uploads/files/1924-Build%20Demo-11.6%20MB(1).pdf   - with a couple of good pictures of a chassis.

Another later one here   -  

- which is noted as being 1927.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

Looks like a 24 six cylinder or 25 Master to me .  Both had the round bar running across at the back of the chassis.  It has the 6 wheel nuts saying its a Master.  Same hubcap as on my 25.  I,m pretty sure 26 and 27 had the larger aluminium hubcap.

SAM_4088 2.JPG

Edited by ROD W (see edit history)

Here are photos of a 24 or 25 Master chassis with front & rear brakes.  Brake lever design looks like 24 or 25. The frame also appears the same as the Montana chassis.

Tyler, next time you are in the area, could you get more photos showing the front & rear axle, and how far the wheels have sunk into the dirt ?

I am looking for axles & wheels for my 25 Master.

thanks

Kevin

00C0C_boBqFGIBijd_600x450.jpg

00h0h_7ZokCYXgkgj_600x450.jpg

• Like 1