How do I clean this up ??

nick8086

This has happened to me several times. First, the auto parts multi-purpose absorbent (kitty litter). Be generous and soak up as much as you can. Then, buy a driveway cleaner that (hopefully) will remove the rest of the oil stain from your concrete. Use the cleaner several times to bleach out the stain. Won't work perfectly, but helps.

Just be grateful you don't live in my town on Long Island. You would be looking at a hefty fine. Yes, oil dry and a street broom. I don't know about trash pick up where you live, but in my town, I can't throw that in the trash, I need to take it to a recycler. 

• Like 1

Rake the bark chips from the garden area over the oil in the pavement, let it soak in well.

Fire up that smoker looking thing and toss your now flavored chips in it and find some carp or other delicacies  to smoke.

MMMM-MMMM

I guess you could get creative with those tires too.

• Like 1

Don't waste money on "Oi dry" get the cheap non-perfumed kitty litter at 1/2 the cost of oil dry. at Wally World its about $3/10lbs. Be generous cover it deep, let stand overnight, speep it up. Repeat as needed. When you have all you can get up, cover it again with the dry litter and let it sit for a week. It should pulle most of it up. Then use a good biodegradable cleaner like simple green or purple power to scrub the rest with a stiff brush.

after you do one of the above to get the oil UP, kitty litter all over and then start doing the twist for a couple of hours, grinding the kitty litter into the cement with the balls of your feet.  when you poop out then just use your whole foot.   oil comes out like it wasn't even there.   i've never had to do it on that big of a spill before, but that just means it will take you alot longer. but it does work like a charm.

9 hours ago, 46 woodie said:

Just be grateful you don't live in my town on Long Island. You would be looking at a hefty fine. ...

In parts of Pennsylvania, oil has occurred naturally above ground.

(Of course, it wasn't dirty oil.)

In Titusville, Pa. in the 1800's, they skimmed the oil off the creek (Oil Creek)

before they got the idea to drill for it underground.  Indians had been

skimming it just the same and using it, in their primitive way, as a medicine!

38 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

In Titusville, Pa. in the 1800's, they skimmed the oil off the creek (Oil Creek)

oil-jed-clampett.jpgoil-bubbling.jpg

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Since you took this off topic, John at least advise how the Indians cleaned it up or did they ignore it as it appears Nick has done for a least 22 hours since he posted his query.  Have any of you responding noticed Nick has not commented since his posting?  Maybe the D.E.P. contacted him for ground water testing and possible legal action for not reporting it immediately to the proper authorities.

On the other hand my guess is Nick found this photo on the internet and used it to start useless dialogue.  Who knows? 

Peter J.

• Like 1

I thought the tar sands were in Alberta. You may want to and hook in with the Keystone pipe line after they pass the bill. But with the price of oil being deflated at the present time I would wait until the price goes back up for it to really pay off. Or else you could sign in with OPEC. 

21 hours ago, Peter J.Heizmann said:

... at least advise how the Indians cleaned it up or did they ignore it ...

Sure, Peter, I'll be happy to continue the diversion!

If I recall correctly, they gathered it with blankets.  However,

they were gathering a naturally occurring resource, as they

might gather fruit, rather than seeing the oil as a problem that 

needed to be "cleaned up."

I have some more interesting facts on early oil, taken from

an 1880's article that I reprinted in our regional newsletter;

but that might be too much of a diversion for this thread.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

8 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Pennsylvania? Isn't there a guy on an island three miles south of Harrisburg who can help?   Bernie

You're thinking nuclear and central Penna.

Titusville is oil in western Pennsylvania, and hundreds of miles away.

Good thing "Nick" doesn't have a nuclear mess to clean up!

• Like 1

Friend of mine bought a 1960's Mopar to part out. Belonged to a fellow we both worked with. Somehow the dip stick had disappeared from the car so the previous owner would just add a quart of oil when he thought it might be low. My buddy towed the car home and decided to remove the engine. Out came the oil drain plug. My buddy walked away while it drained. Happened to look back and the 8 quart pan he had under the car was full to overflowing. He quickly shoved a 4 quart pan under the engine. This one too filled to overflowing. Luckily he had another pan handy. Best we can figure that old car had 18 quarts of oil in it. The previous owner's chief complaint, and one of the reasons he sold the car, was that the car smoked excessively.

• Like 1