Help with 38 front end stuff

Dave 38

I need some help with the driver side rear part of the spring. I bought some other parts and the round spring thing looks like it would go on that shackle at the back. But my car never had any. And the spring just lays on the frame. Any picks of yours would help. Thanks

2016-04-24 01.25.40.jpg

2016-04-24 01.26.07.jpg

That's a steering shock eliminator which is on I believe '35-'38 cars maybe more. I think that it is installed incorrectly. The part is mounted from the inside so the spring is on the inside of the frame,so the bracket and spring would also be mounted on the inside of the frame rail. After installation, the spring tension nut is adjusted to specs listed in the shop manual. The shop manual should show a detailed drawing of the unit in place. 

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

That might be true on a '38. I have a '36 which does not have the sway bar in that location.Maybe a '38 doesn't even use the shock eliminator, someone may have just put it on, I don't know but I'm sure there is someone on the forum that can tell you.

20 hours ago, Dave 38 said:

I need some help with the driver side rear part of the spring. I bought some other parts and the round spring thing looks like it would go on that shackle at the back. But my car never had any. And the spring just lays on the frame. Any picks of yours would help. Thanks

2016-04-24 01.25.40.jpg

2016-04-24 01.26.07.jpg

See attached:

38 dodge steering shock eliminator.pdf

There are actually 2 springs on the bracket, one goes on each side of the large shackle ring.It should mount without interfering with the sway bar Are there any holes in the frame that might match up to the bracket. You will have to reinstall that shackle to the inside of the frame.

I would imagine that the holes would be ahead of the sway bar bracket so as to push the shackle forward, that's why the spring eye is resting on the frame. The eliminator holds the shackle in position and helps absorb some of the spring's rearward motion so heavy shocks are not transferred up the steering column and into the driver's hands.

I rechecked my Dodge and the eliminator bracket is not only riveted in placed but also welded! Don't know why unless it came loose at some point. Is that sway bar actual WPC equipment or is it an aftermarket item? For some reason the square tube doesn't look period correct to me, but I don't know.

16 minutes ago, jpage said:

I rechecked my Dodge and the eliminator bracket is not only riveted in placed but also welded! Don't know why unless it came loose at some point. Is that sway bar actual WPC equipment or is it an aftermarket item? For some reason the square tube doesn't look period correct to me, but I don't know.

I agree that the sway bar looks different than mine. The car is in storage and I could only get a good picture of the passenger side:

Sway eliminator.jpg

Dave, That picture was taken to show how different your sway bar is from mine. Yours may be a replacement that needed to use one of the holes for the shock eliminator. Therefore, blocking the availability to attach the  shock eliminator.

The shock eliminators were used 1936 - 1938 only. My 38 Dodge was produced late in 38 and does not have one.  However, my sway bar appears to be attached to the bottom of the frame.

Driver side 38.jpg

Edited by hwellens (see edit history)

I the above photo it appears that the sprong eye is resting on the frame. that doesn't look like it should be that way due to the limited action of the spring and undue wear, but maybe that's the way they were. The spring shackle is the eliminator type without the springs.